New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:
5 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

I went Spurs in Prem, just thought it looked simplistic, modern and smart - wasn't a fan of the font though.

Me too and for the same reasons.

Me too ... but despite the chicken.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

I went with "pioneers".

I went with innovatiors as my word same lines.

I love the round badge and went for Manchester City, Bristol City and Bayern.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

To be fair, the consensus in the room was pretty mixed - especially considering it was an older demographic. It was a long and broad-ranging conversation, though, with a real appetite to do the club justice.

The club and the design agency are going to be working with other focus groups to get different opinions. Tonight, I believe, there are a group of season ticket holders under the age of 24.

Something I pointed out was that the round badge had only been part of our identity for 18ish of the 148-year club history and that anyone under the age of 30 had never bought a new product (apart from remakes, obvs) with that badge on it.

No offense, but what does that matter?

I take the point about the round badge not being around for that long in our history but it is nonetheless very popular with a lot of people.

I would challenge a little bit the tenor of what you and OutByEaster are saying, playing devil's advocate a tiny bit because I actually agree with you largely (tradition and uniqueness being hugely important to our club), but that doesn't mean our way is the right way.

Take for instance the group being consulted with tonight, that you mentioned. I'm much older, as I'm guessing you guys are too, but I'm sorry to say that tonight's group better represents the future of our club than we do. When we are dead and gone Villa will live on, and frankly in 100 years time I would expect the club to look and feel a lot different to now.

I don't want Villa to be some sort of time capsule. We're a living a breathing club, and the word club is important because it's made up of its members. And whilst our tradition, and the legacy of our HEITS (my own late mother included) are hugely important, what's more important is our club stays at the top end of English football, in every possible way.

Villa Live is a good example - I'm a bit old fashioned so I personally have no idea why we would need a 365 commercial space with seated restaurants etc, but that is the way football is moving as a business. It's not for me to say nah just because it's not traditional.

Myself, I think we should be striking a very fine balance between traditional and modern, but I think seeking to rule out a circle badge just because you don't think it's actually a traditional element of our club is a bit too far. If it's what the majority want, then fine.*

* Again, for the record, I didn't put down the circle as being an element that I felt important in the survey. I'm just saying, it's not about me, or you, or OBE. It's about the whole club, including the younger members who might fancy some change.

1 minute ago, John said:

These two would take some beating, but they weren't an option

They were, I think. I’m pretty sure I ummed and ahhed over which of the two was my favourite in that questionnaire thingy.

3 minutes ago, John said:

These two would take some beating, but they weren't an option (Call me old fashioned, everyone else does!:D):

image.jpeg.8e638b4f4f3955ae7a28986e2922b348.jpeg image.jpeg.c0d4c07b274ac4a722b3f749fb026018.jpeg

They are wonderful and examples of Aston Villa in a certain time.

But we move on and don't want to go back to the past.

Something unique is the way for me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

They were, I think. I’m pretty sure I ummed and ahhed over which of the two was my favourite in that questionnaire thingy.

Yes, you are quite right, I went for the first. 

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

They are wonderful and examples of Aston Villa in a certain time.

But we move on and don't want to go back to the past.

Something unique is the way for me.

If there is a choice, then I for one, might be tempted...:D

Back to the Future anniversary: What critics thought 30 years ago | EW.com 

15 minutes ago, maqroll said:

@NurembergVillan who is the design group and how were they chosen? Is there a link to their work somewhere?

Good question that. Really hope it's not a case of "Well, they worked on rebranding Liverpool........." 🙄

Edited by est1874

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Good question that. Really hope it's not a case of "Well, they worked on rebranding Liverpool........." 🙄

It is a LOT of monumental power granted to anonymous people who are probably not even Villa fans. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just don't get it wrong!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, maqroll said:

It is a LOT of monumental power granted to anonymous people who are probably not even Villa fans. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just don't get it wrong!

Exactly the problem we had around the time of the Lerner rebrand. "Wow AVFC is a really strong rhyming acronym, great branding opportunity", not at all thinking how iconic the name ASTON VILLA already is. They also heard lion and star and just plonked them wherever - irrespective of how lame and useless the lion looked, and how the star was just floating pointlessly in the top left.

All the latest version did was fix the lion and make the rest sharper, it's inherited all the issues mentioned above, so whatever we go with next, it needs to be smarter and have more say from the fans.

• Like 1