New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

There will be a power point with quotes from fans that suit what they want to do

In fairness, though asking fans about something like this is always problematic. There are always going to be differences of opinion, and if you try to please most people, you will probably end up with something horribly bland, similar to the current crest (imo, obviously).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Really well made - just feels way too City Group.

also shameful to put your username on it

I actually ended up choosing City as my Favourite PL badge.

From a Villa perspective, it would satisfy both people who want a round badge AND a shield, as well as easily host our full name.

Not saying it's necessarily what I want, but from the choices given. Yeah.

Was torn between City and Spurs badge 

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

One slight issue I have, is that there is no requirement to verify being a Villa fan, or credentials needed to take part in it.

Surely ( hopefully not ) you can get a load of scum trolling and doing the survery and skewing results?

There’s a meeting fans have been invited to tomorrow so imagine they’ll be consulted so it gets rid of that.

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I actually ended up choosing City as my Favourite PL badge.

From a Villa perspective, it would satisfy both people who want a round badge AND a shield, as well as easily host our full name.

Not saying it's necessarily what I want, but from the choices given. Yeah.

Was torn between City and Spurs badge 

I went with Arsenal. It looks modern, but conveys history. Has a shield (although I picked our old roundel as my fav. villa crest), but does something different with it. Plus the colours are classic, can't really go wrong. I don't mind City though, although they play up the sailing ship motif a lot for a city that can only be reached by ship via a canal. Can you even sail through a canal, or would you need to use oars/legging? 

9 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

In fairness, though asking fans about something like this is always problematic. There are always going to be differences of opinion, and if you try to please most people, you will probably end up with something horribly bland, similar to the current crest (imo, obviously).

Yeah, and most people are wrong too 🥴 I’m hoping the designers kinda just do what feels right to be honest, and don’t listen to too much CIRCLE YELLOW ASTON VILLA FOOTBALL CLUB EST 1874 noise

Just now, a m ole said:

Yeah, and most people are wrong too 🥴 I’m hoping the designers kinda just do what feels right to be honest, and don’t listen to too much CIRCLE YELLOW ASTON VILLA FOOTBALL CLUB EST 1874 noise

Agreed

Just now, HKP90 said:

I went with Arsenal. It looks modern, but conveys history. Has a shield (although I picked our old roundel as my fav. villa crest), but does something different with it. Plus the colours are classic, can't really go wrong. I don't mind City though, although they play up the sailing ship motif a lot for a city that can only be reached by ship via a canal. Can you even sail through a canal, or would you need to use oars/legging? 

Yeah I like Arsenal as well, it was the first one I was focused on, but zoomed in and out, to then decide which one looked cleanest and would appear so on social media.

It's actually more difficult than you would think doing these things 🤣.

Ideally it would have been multi choice.

The best badges option - shows how shit everyone else’s is in the premier league too. Ours is one of the best despite the things people dislike about it.

I chose Spurs, because it’s traditional and modern. Easily the best. Liverpool still use their ugly old one but their on shirt one is great too.

then I chose Norwich for the same reason.

For europe I chose Eintracht Frankfurt, but would have also gone with Ajax. Traditional, modern and authentic.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 4

my word. judging by the differences in opinions from just a few posters over the last few pages, this place is going to be an absolute madhouse when they release their final design! I conservatively estimate that 99% of people will be ranting about it, incandescent with rage

I cant wait

I found the survey a bit pigeon holey as there was no suggestions about possible changes or anything like that.

For me I went spurs, Bristol city, Nantes, all clean, modern take on classic designs. With the premier league the only real stand out badge is Wolves but it doesn’t say Wolves or Wolverhampton Wanderers or anything. I think we have a real op to make a real statement with the new crest/badge. 

I started as everyone else, ‘bring back the round badge’ but now I want something a bit more innovative/modern. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

My effort, for what it's worth.

spacer.png

This is really, really good. It may be my first choice. I like the shield inside the circle look. Love the lion details and the two tone inner shield. Very polished. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Same.

Some confusing ones too, found myself contradicting my own answers to some of the questions in later rounds.

Also, some questions where you wish " It's just shit " was an option. Lol

I found myself contradicting myself when asked which of the other clubs designs I liked too. Some of the simpler, more sleek designs I liked, some of the more ornate, intricate designs I liked.

I guess it means I don’t really mind whether they go for a simple modern style or a more traditional look, as long as they do it well.  

It did make me realise that I’m more bothered about keeping the lion than any other aspect of the badge - name included.

As much as I love the round badge, there's **** shitloads of the current style of very clean round badge with distinct plain clean graphics and fonts around. And you can see why, it looks very good and ticks lots of boxes - it reads easily, gives easy flexibility for variety of uses without much tweaking, gets the modern but still old fashioned thing. The problem is its almost like everyone's got the same designer in and the house style is the same for all of them. I'd like to think we could do something a little unique.

A lot of the Prem badges (and arguably in  football generally) are fussy, and bad for branding. Ours is amateurishly plain with no impact, having previously been too busy. But you have to be careful with going too modern as well, or you end up with Juventus' abomination.

Spurs probably have the best logo from a design perspective these days, as sad as that sounds. Wolves is decent, though is hampered by the colours and being very 80s in its aesthetic, but it's clean, distinct and impactful. Most of the rest are variations of crap, or straight out of the template described above.

I went Man City, Bristol City, Eintract Frankfurt.

I don't mind this kind of survey, we're basically compiling a brief for the designer.

Ultimately I want something clean and modern that still shows that we're a famous old club.

I'm not too fussed about the shape.

Saying "Aston Villa" in full is a must

I prefer that the blue and yellow don't touch, I think it looks washed out.

I think the spurs badge is objectively good, I’m just not sold on the curved font underneath it. Looks a little bit like an afterthought.

That one and Palace’s badge I think are alright from the premier league, the palace one has a kinda retro quality about it. 

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Very true. I wouldn't be sad to see the lion go, for example, but guess a good many would. It's best to get in a graphic designer with a singular mind who'll do the requisite research on the club and it's history, but wouldn't be bogged down by it.

Went with the 70s shieldless lion with AV underneath for the Villa badge. Basically something simple and modern, incorporating the lion (like the current one but not completely tied to it) and star works for me.

Premier Leagues choice went Spurs, simple, modern, unique and fits a long name in well. Forest (similarly simple but incorporating lots of elements with tree, river, stars and Forest name, but maybe a little dated in detail/typography) and Wolves (simple, fairly unique badge shape which I'd prefer over round one if anything) not too far behind. Shame couldn't add further comments on these questions as liked elements of others too, or things that weren't options in the follow up.

Championship one Bristol was basically only option, more for the robin design as not that keen on round badge, though theirs is done quite well I think. Not much to choose from beyond that.

Euro badges went with Lille (modern design and bold colours and unique shield) though so many to choose from that have different things going for them, such as Ajax (unique logo and presentation of name), Palermo (I thought was bit different, though maybe too much going on), Fiorentina and BMG for the diamond badges which could work for us with the AV design as some have suggested already. The varying levels of the one letter badge were good too, like, Juve, Napoli, Nantes, BMG. Guess our equivalent would be with a V, though maybe using the AV, either as diamond or overlaid like Inter would be more appropriate for us.

A little ironic that the review of old badges on the survey included an incorrect version of the 1970s/1980s badge.  "ASTON VILLA" does not stretch far enough round the outer circle and the diameters of the inner and outer circles are out of proportion.  You often see the 1990s clip art lion on versions of the round badge too.

Some people at the club do seem to struggle with details when it comes to historic badges.  For example, the programme editor chose a fan version of the round badge with a star for the Third Division championship series (never mind that the round badge didn't exist until well after that season and the reason for the star came ten years later!) And this season we have the 1999-2007 striped shield for a series on the 1992-1993 Premier League.  Is it really that difficult?

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

This is really, really good. It may be my first choice. I like the shield inside the circle look. Love the lion details and the two tone inner shield. Very polished. 

Thanks mate