New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's been pointed out several times that, our very FIRST crest when we were founded was pointed this way.

Fantastically recognisable for all of the 150 year olds among us

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's been pointed out several times that, our very FIRST crest when we were founded was pointed this way.

Yep, I'm aware of that. Doesn't change the fact that it'll take time to get used to.

27 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The round will unfortunately win. It's just not a bold move in any way. And there's even some dead space on the bottom of it where it could've said FOOTBALL CLUB, and 1874 could've been on the sides. 

Football Club at the bottom, forget the 1874, we could complete the look and put some flowers and footballs around the sides.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I want this....

Would.probbaly be even better with a gold lion and/or outline.

FB_IMG_1667597160519-min.jpg

Just looks wrong! The one on the home shirt looks like it doesn’t belong there.  I can’t believe how much it looks like the generic badge from the football computer games I played as a kid.  

If it wins I’ll get used to it but currently feels it’s the Steven Gerrard coaching version of a badge 😂

• Like 1

This is the problem with asking 1000s of people to give their opinion on how a brand should look instead of getting 4 decent options and letting people vote for the final one. Too many cooks et etc. 

Both are pretty basic concepts and look so bland without any yellow in the mark itself. It would have been a decent idea to show the inverted colour counterparts too. The circle in the inverted option would work pretty well, currently it's got no contrast, but I think it's probably a better option.

Edited by The Other Mat

Both are the result of a balanced fan engagement process, which I applaud the club for. It's a minefield that isn't going to please everyone - but they've used a good, contemporary design agency who know their biscuits and work on insight.

That said, I'm disappointed. I think we need something with more identity, and for that I want to vote for the shield on principle, and the nod to the gas lamp - but I just don't like it. And the circle I think is purely nostalgia, agree with the view it gets lost in the modern football landscape. 

However, the applications shown without a shield or a circle - lovely stuff. And with the survey results, surely that please more people? We mostly want 2 things..

VOTE OPTION 3:  Aston Villa + a Lion rampant.  Simple and confident. Petition, anyone?

• Like 1

I don’t know if it has been covered but it seems our very first badge had the lion facing to the right. That must be the reason for the switch. 

I actually really like both. Would rather play it safe than have some garbage we will hate and either now or in a few years. Wish they’d ditch the star though. 

I’m surprised by the negative reactions. Most fan consultations end in tears (see: our current badge and the Leeds effort) or new badges are just a general disaster (see: Everton). Both options are classy, both are ‘safe’ in that we won’t be a laughing stock, everyone can get on board, they’ll still be fine in 20 years time. Happy days.  

edit: apologies Ive just bothered to watch the video and they literally explain the right facing lion lol. I’m pro that move.

Also, got to say that the efforts of the design team do look good against the fan designed badges. To me it makes the fan ones look a bit childish.

Anyway, option 1 all the way for me. So unique and modern yet looks like it could have been from aged ago. Either way both look good and the lion on its own in the video examples looks awesome. 

Edited by Spoony
  • Like 1

Badge 1 is dreadful and the second one is a bit of a retrograde step in glorifying a past  that we will never be able to meet. They could have just taken that design from any numerous unofficial Villa fan clubs. After months of consultation is that it? Seen numerous fan designs which look far better.

I prefer the round badge personally.

But I would much prefer the lion facing to the left; it looks completely wrong facing the right.

I understand the sentiment behind it being the same as our first badge, but the lion has face right for 12 years in our 148 year history. The lion has faced left for 136 years.

I don't really get it.

I like the lion and would be happy with either design. I suspect most will vote for the round badge.

There are a couple of things done for branding/marketing reasons imo:

1. I think the lion is facing to the right to make our badge distinctive. Otherwise it looks too similar to Chelsea's (assuming the round badge is chosen).

2. 1874 - we are currently the second oldest Premier League club behind Forest and this is a selling point (not counting Crystal palace's claim to be the oldest based on them sharing a name with a club who existed 45 years before they were formed).

Edited by I Make Pies

29 minutes ago, Muller Yogurt Long Sleever said:

VOTE OPTION 3:  Aston Villa + a Lion rampant.  Simple and confident. Petition, anyone?

You get that with both of these though - both of the mock ups showing them in different places include 'unleashed' lions with just Aston Villa (or Aston Villa and 1874).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

You get that with both of these though - both of the mock ups showing them in different places include 'unleashed' lions with just Aston Villa (or Aston Villa and 1874).

Which are you leaning towards OBE? And why?