New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It makes no sense for the club to be pushing us forward in almost every aspect, but go back half a century for our new badge.

It makes marketing sense, if they know a majority of fans would be in favour of it.

(I'm just playing devil's advocate here; I don't want a round badge).

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

It makes marketing sense, if they know a majority of fans would be in favour of it.

(I'm just playing devil's advocate here; I don't want a round badge).

Randy Lerner, for all his incompetence including the final product he came up with...had the right idea.

The round will unfortunately win. It's just not a bold move in any way. And there's even some dead space on the bottom of it where it could've said FOOTBALL CLUB, and 1874 could've been on the sides. 

I like the choice of font. It manages to look traditional and also modern. 

These are both a clear upgrade despite neither if them blowing me away. So I'm pretty content about it. 

Just as I am about the new gaffer!

Onward, Villa!

• Like 3

Just now, Keyblade said:

It makes no sense for the club to be pushing us forward in almost every aspect, but go back half a century for our new badge.

So a gas lamp from 100 years ago or even a shield gives projection of moving forward? Knight shields haven’t been used for hundreds of years and gas lamps at least 50 years.  

The round badge is also a modern badge as many clubs have moved to it as well.  It also has a sense of a nod to our glory which many modern fans who aren’t Villa fans don’t know about.  

I’m not embarrassed by our past and a small symbol of that in the design of the badge compared to everything else at Villa that is so modern is a small tribute.  

Where else on our kit or elsewhere in general consumption of the media is there a nod to our heritage.  It’s not in peoples faces.  We all know about ‘82 around the ground and in our older replica shirts but the average non-villa fan doesn’t know.  It’s a little nod to it.  

We are proud of our history, it’s also why we want our ground to keep a lot of its heritage facade’s because the new soulless grounds of other teams lack that sense of history of football.

You can also push for you future by knowing where you have come from.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Randy Lerner, for all his incompetence including the final product he came up with...had the right idea.

Given most fans hate it and it’s poor, I don’t think he did.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So a gas lamp from 100 years ago or even a shield gives projection of moving forward? Knight shields haven’t been used for hundreds of years and gas lamps at least 50 years.  

The round badge is also a modern badge as many clubs have moved to it as well.  It also has a sense of a nod to our glory which many modern fans who aren’t Villa fans don’t know about.  

I’m not embarrassed by our past and a small symbol of that in the design of the badge compared to everything else at Villa that is so modern is a small tribute.  

Where else on our kit or elsewhere in general consumption of the media is there a nod to our heritage.  It’s not in peoples faces.  We all know about ‘82 around the ground and in our older replica shirts but the average non-villa fan doesn’t know.  It’s a little nod to it.  

We are proud of our history, it’s also why we want our ground to keep a lot of its heritage facade’s because the new soulless grounds of other teams lack that sense of history of football.

You can also push for you future by knowing where you have come from.

A nod to the past is fine, especially if it's certain aspects of our history. This is straight up aping the 80's badge. It's a throwback.

It's rare that I'm on the fence about anything, but I'd happily take either.  Option 1 is different and option 2 reminds me of my youth.  I actually like the idea of the lion facing the other way.... 

I can say that, since the 1970's there has been discussion of "why yellow" anywhere in our badge.  Our colours, back before internet days were always listed as claret, blue and white.  The yellow came in for the old round badge and has become more and more prominent down the years.  With no real foundation or reason either.  The fact that Wet Spam and Burnley have a lot of yellow in their badges tells me that there must be something in the graphic design world that says yellow is a good colour to put with claret and blue.  I'd rather see white lettering personally, but I understand why it would be a challenging mix with anything whit a white background (ie. paper and white away shirts). 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I wish we'd got rid of the star

One or the other for me, either get a proper one above the badge or don't do it

I get why we want it but at the same time I think the compromise in going with the little star incorporated in to the badge says the exact opposite  about us

• Like 1

The round one, by a street mile (but being picky, I prefer the lion facing the other way). However, both are better than we have so they have done a good job.

The retro lamp one has merit, but for me I feel it would be like the early ‘92 kit (Saunders/Atkinson) with the round collar and laced neck, I think it will age badly over time.

3D94E9F3-0030-454E-B3C1-5842F3F45A57.jpeg

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

A nod to the past is fine, especially if it's certain aspects of our history. This is straight up aping the 80's badge. It's a throwback.

Of all the things that represent the club to the outside world, the badge is only one of many things so in that context it is only a nod.  Not only that, the fans wanted that, you can see from the MOM tweet I posted above the club wanted to be more bold but the survey from the fans showed that the majority restricted that and had a specific view held by again the majority.  This is fan driven to get the round one. Yes some don’t like it but the majority seem to be getting their way. Modern isn’t always better as the Leeds badge showed.

Edited by nick76

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

I’ll get used to either but I still think below is better

6CC502AD-62DF-4F57-BF1B-2FEBDCB7A8A4.png.d26ad521042f857e5567909e066a6db4.png

which makes me think that option 2 would look and feel better if it faced left like this option that was posted a while back ………

FE224F85-30F9-46DF-96B9-D6C97F13C82C.jpeg.f64d82fe7f958d474c92e583212454a1.jpeg

Wheres this top badge from mate ? Ive been raging about us changing it all day but if it were that top one id actually give it the thumbs up , personally i think were changing too much, we could have used the current design and made it round and then added ‘ aston villa’ on  it 

8 minutes ago, bojong said:

Changing the direction of the lion actually makes a massive difference. I think both of these are nice but at first glance I don't recognize them as my club's crests (because of the direction).

It's been pointed out several times that, our very FIRST crest when we were founded was pointed this way.

17 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’ve gone for the gas lamp. Not completely inspired by it but I just really didn’t want a round one. It will almost certainly be the round one though.

This is where I am. I don't particularly like it, but at least it's different. But we'll end up with the identikit round badge they've picked from page 4 of the "Football Badges for Dummies" handbook. 

• Like 1