New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

It’s probably been said a lot in this thread but the colours for both just seem a bit dull, now I’m not expecting something flashy or anything but maybe a bit more gold or something so it pops out a bit more? 

The first one has grown on me a lot and I think I prefer it over the round one, it stands out a bit more for me, but I’m also fine with it being round. 

• Like 1

Yeah both will look great on the away shirt as long as it's white. I'm not sure the gas lamp one will look good on the home shirt thou, or if it will even stand out from the background enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Yeah both will look great on the away shirt as long as it's white. I'm not sure the gas lamp one will look good on the home shirt thou, or if it will even stand out from the background enough.

One of my concerns about this one too.  Looking a bit "West Hammy".  Wonder what yellow border, claret name, blue background might have looked like.  Probably more "Villa" and a little nod to the old shield on the demolished Trinity.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The bigger gas lamp lion is far better. The detail is clearer. And it contrasts better.

The gas lamp lion literally has extra detail as well that looks way better on the standalone version than the standalone lion from the circle badge. Maybe cos the extra detail gets lost with the smaller lion?

They should’ve delayed the voting process for a week or so to try and give people time to make a more informed decision.

I bet a lot of people will have been so focused on a round badge that they never even gave option 1 a chance and voted impulsively, and might come around to it.

Edited by abdomlahor

15 minutes ago, chomer said:

Both are a big improvement over the current badge.  I find they both also look much better against a white background - especially the round one. 

E0960AB6-EF69-4E4F-BFDA-10EEB1621659.jpeg

DECEC1CE-2867-4839-934C-6FFBB316B680.jpeg

That shade of yellow also looks a lot better than the stronger shade I’ve seen in some images. Not sure how there seems to be two different versions in the first place.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Objectively? When has another clubs fan ever viewed another club objectively plus you are viewing emotional attachment as a bad thing which is strange.  We have emotional attachment to the colours, the name, the lion, the ground…anything else we should just ignore because we are emotionally attached to? Football fans are football fans because they are emotionally attached.  I only like Claret and Blue because of Villa, generally I find neither colour appealing.

The point being that when the choice is between a shield and a round badge most people end up in two camps and don't judge the badges on their merit as designs, either you grew up with the round badge and associate it with our crowning achievement, whilst seeing the current badge as being tainted by the Lerner era, or you grew up with the shield badge and associate it with "modern" Villa, whilst seeing the round badge as too nostalgic and being stuck in the past. This is highlighted by the vote thread, the fans that are able to vote, i.e. season ticket holders who are more likely to have more disposable income and be a bit older (the average attending fan to football games a few years ago was in their early 40s), favour the round badge, which they grew up with, but fans that can't vote, likely younger or more recent fans, favour the shield badge, likely because they don't have the emotional attachment to the round badge which we only had for 20 years of our history.

The other things you mention of course shouldn't be ignored, they've been near constants throughout our almost 150 year history, the shape of the badge has changed multiple times however and shouldn't be seen as important as the vital elements of the club.

And of course opposition fans can view a badge design objectively, the reason I think Blues' badge is shit isn't because it's Blues, but because it's a weird, shitty clipart of a globe on top of a football, their lettered badge they had a few years ago, whilst a bit messy, was a million times better than their current one. I hate both Man Utd and Man City, but I think both of their badges are really good for different reasons. Whilst I would have loved Leeds to use the proposed badge from a couple years ago, I still thought the badge was shit - hence wanting them to adopt it.

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I mean it’s hardly unique and identifying that some people used a light switch for a meeting 

Lol. Did they have light switches back then?

I’d say its about as good a symbol for our founding as any, which is unique enough in the sense of it being one of the earlier clubs. The location of the lamp, both in time and place, tell something of the story of our club. And the only other club origin stories I can think of (not that I can think of many) are in a room in a pub or some other building, so seems unique enough to me. It’s enough of our lore that they stuck a replica outside the Holte.

35 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

This is highlighted by the vote thread, the fans that are able to vote, i.e. season ticket holders who are more likely to have more disposable income and be a bit older (the average attending fan to football games a few years ago was in their early 40s), favour the round badge, which they grew up with, but fans that can't vote, likely younger or more recent fans, favour the shield badge, likely because they don't have the emotional attachment to the round badge which we only had for 20 years of our history.

This is all guess work and your view.  I go to Villa Park and there are just as many young adults as older adults.  My young nephews (child’s age) when I showed them the choice of badges they both independently picked the round badge.  I haven’t picked the round badge because of the 80’s I picked it because it’s a better badge.  You could argue I don’t like the shield badge because our current badge is a shield and we’ve mostly had misery under it which biased my opinion.  I think your assertions, while you think are right, I’d argue are just leading you down a false narrative.

35 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

And of course opposition fans can view a badge design objectively

I don’t agree, there is always biased because our views of that club bias our views before we even see their badge and it’s hard to change that but can change it but the bias is still there underneath.

Anyway I couldn’t care less about other clubs fans.  The board wanted our ‘entitled to vote’ fans to dictate what our badge is going to be and the fans look likely to want the round badge….thank god!

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, chomer said:

Both are a big improvement over the current badge.  I find they both also look much better against a white background - especially the round one. 

E0960AB6-EF69-4E4F-BFDA-10EEB1621659.jpeg

DECEC1CE-2867-4839-934C-6FFBB316B680.jpeg

The lamp one would look better with a gold outline instead of blue.

As for the blue itself, does it look a bit light-purple-ish? 

• Like 1