$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

I think the wider point about Martin Samuels article could end up being important.

What if nobody really wants us, what if we're the model for about a third of the football clubs in Europe?

If we are, and if FFP has concreted in the pecking order and taken away the dream of the billionaire as the only way to force change, then how does UEFA react?

Do they let us (and clubs just like us) wither on the vine, do they accept that European football is about twenty clubs and the fodder they play in between Champions league games and Super Sundays?

What will the result of that acceptance be on the watching public? Does European football end up being really popular around the world, but only in parts of Europe - as fans of those twenty clubs go through a boom and the rest of the game dies?

Do we have 200,000 people chasing tickets for Man Utd vs. Chelsea, whilst Villa vs. stoke attracts less than 10,000, whilst Betis vs. Celta Vigo attracts less than 10,000, whilst Torino vs. Cagliari attracts less than 10,000?

How do parents persuade their children to follow the dead club in their home town, and when they can't what happens to those clubs?

We're currently an open sore on football - a great club that nobody wants because of the way the game is structured - and we won't be on our own for long, there are probably other examples out there. We're a fly in Platini's ointment, a reminder that something is wrong on the shiny TV show; and the longer we're unsold, the more clubs that find themselves in our position, the more the game will be affected and the more likely it is it will change.

Not that we're taking one for the team, Platini plainly doesn't give a shit and is happy with the model he's got, but I take a tiny bit of comfort in knowing that at least whilst we suffer we in some tiny way help to expose how wrong football is.

We welcome more members to the unwanted club erm..club.

Great post, much more realistic than randomly suggesting American billionaires or posting nonsense from Twitter like its true.

• Like 1

IMG_4124_zps7967f277.jpg

Some god botherers shoved this through my door today.

Do you think they know I am a Villa fan

No probably just a fellow VT poster.

• Like 1

The sooner the sky 4 (3 maybe?) Piss off to play in their long awaited european super league. ...and leave the rest if us to play normal football again....with English players, the better

I'm afraid that is a false hope. The sooner that happens the game is dead.

Soon more and more people will start following lower league teams and give up on the premier league. I've already started going to MK Dons games and it's so damn enjoyable.

Either that or more people will show an interest in MLS teams.

The premier league is ruined. It really is a pile of crap now

I go watch Burton now. Its fabulous

That's my point. .. The big clubs can go off and play with their european counterparts....real fans will still go and watch lower league football. Its all set up for the bigger teams to prosper at the expense of everyone else. They'll go eventually.

I think the wider point about Martin Samuels article could end up being important.

What if nobody really wants us, what if we're the model for about a third of the football clubs in Europe?

If we are, and if FFP has concreted in the pecking order and taken away the dream of the billionaire as the only way to force change, then how does UEFA react?

Do they let us (and clubs just like us) wither on the vine, do they accept that European football is about twenty clubs and the fodder they play in between Champions league games and Super Sundays?

What will the result of that acceptance be on the watching public? Does European football end up being really popular around the world, but only in parts of Europe - as fans of those twenty clubs go through a boom and the rest of the game dies?

Do we have 200,000 people chasing tickets for Man Utd vs. Chelsea, whilst Villa vs. stoke attracts less than 10,000, whilst Betis vs. Celta Vigo attracts less than 10,000, whilst Torino vs. Cagliari attracts less than 10,000?

How do parents persuade their children to follow the dead club in their home town, and when they can't what happens to those clubs?

We're currently an open sore on football - a great club that nobody wants because of the way the game is structured - and we won't be on our own for long, there are probably other examples out there. We're a fly in Platini's ointment, a reminder that something is wrong on the shiny TV show; and the longer we're unsold, the more clubs that find themselves in our position, the more the game will be affected and the more likely it is it will change.

Not that we're taking one for the team, Platini plainly doesn't give a shit and is happy with the model he's got, but I take a tiny bit of comfort in knowing that at least whilst we suffer we in some tiny way help to expose how wrong football is. 

We welcome more members to the unwanted club erm..club.

I think you make so many well intentioned points and it is hard to disagree with any of it....But I still have this feeling that we are a club that are feeling a tad sorry for ourselves.

In my view despite the obvious changes in the financial landscape of football those that have it have dealt with it well....hard not to I hear some say.

But there are other clubs that have no better financial footing that in some cases have come from behind us and overtaken us, that for me is the most worrying aspect.

Liverpool have always been able to out spend and out attract us and so has Man Utd and since Abramovich so has Chelsea....Nothing new there.

year on year in the last 10 or so years it has got worse in terms of the value for money.....not always the money, so much too was the lack of value or more importantly the lack of return that as a club we have managed to get from the majority of our signings.....that could be down to the staff.

It is without doubt and crystal clear that without sufficient funds the job is extremely difficult.....but not every player can play for the top teams. Players do develop late or simply don't fit in, but are still very capable played in the right blended unit.

My view is that Randy at some point did give us some money and we spent it badly, but to make matters worse he has appointed staff who are simply not up to the task.

equally the situation has got progressively worse to the point that Albion are now out flanking us ( and that is not meant to be disrespectful to them)

HDE made mistakes in his appointments too ,but not quite so many.

In the immediate future I don't see it getting any better on 2 fronts:

• we havn't got sufficient funds....but even the tea lady knows that.
  • and we havn't got the staff to work with out it.

In short, in my view we have simply made too many mistakes.

Edited by TRO

Sorry but this is far from the lowest the club has got in its history.

What if we have no new owner come the start of the season, Lambert leaves due to lack of funds, and then we get relegated.

No one would want to buy us in the Championship, no manager would want to come to a club that has no funds for new players. Before we know it we will have done a Wolves.

Wolves who, ironically, have just had a much more enjoyable season than we have.

I wonder what kind of season they would have actually preferred though? 

Winning League 1 or just surviving in the Prem?

Prem every time for me!

Sorry but this is far from the lowest the club has got in its history.

What if we have no new owner come the start of the season, Lambert leaves due to lack of funds, and then we get relegated.

No one would want to buy us in the Championship, no manager would want to come to a club that has no funds for new players. Before we know it we will have done a Wolves.

Wolves who, ironically, have just had a much more enjoyable season than we have.

I wonder what kind of season they would have actually preferred though?

Winning League 1 or just surviving in the Prem?

Prem every time for me!

Not for me. Sky's marketing hasn't brainwashed me that much to believe that a season of winning games and actually achieving something is better than barely winning just so I can watch fancier opposition.

Well? Did anyone see a shifty character at the Dallas game with a briefcase full of cash and a claret and blue tattoo? We need eyes on the ground damnit!

• Like 1

I know you don't like rumours but just had a look on TBAR and they seem to think that Micky Arison is in one of the shots of Randy Lerner in Dallas that the Birmingham Mail published.

I myself don't believe it's him and they're getting over excited over nothing but thought I'd mention it as his name has been mentioned in one of the British papers recently albeit only in the financial gossip section.

I know you don't like rumours but just had a look on TBAR and they seem to think that Micky Arison is in one of the shots of Randy Lerner in Dallas that the Birmingham Mail published.

I myself don't believe it's him and they're getting over excited over nothing but thought I'd mention it as his name has been mentioned in one of the British papers recently albeit only in the financial gossip section.

To be fair, it does look like him. The woman in the photo also looks like his wife! They may be on to something there!

Oh - he's in Italy ^ :lol:

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

It does look a bit like him although I reckon there must be loads of elderly gentlemen with that same look. How do we know he's in Italy, his jet or something? I know some guy posted a posted picture on twitter yesterday of himself with Arison in Italy but could have been a day or two old.

It does look a bit like him although I reckon there must be loads of elderly gentlemen with that same look. How do we know he's in Italy, his jet or something? I know some guy posted a posted picture on twitter yesterday of himself with Arison in Italy but could have been a day or two old.

Its a solid look to be fair.

• Like 1