$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

Just seen that Nintendo own the Seattle Mariners! I'd be happy enough with them*.

*On the presumption that they will appoint Super Mario as manager, replace the lion on our badge with Bowser and give a free Wii to every ST holder of course.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 4

I think one could be Thomas Ricketts. He runs the Chicago Cubs for his father Joe and was/is part of a consortium that bought Derby County - may have decided that he wants something bigger. Moves in the same financial circles as Randy Lerner.

Alternatively it could be another Derby investor; Jeff Mallett formerly of Yahoo - owns Vancouver Whitecaps, very keen on "soccer" has been building a portfolio of sports interests for some years. Was rumoured to have been interested in Spurs several years ago. Like Ricketts would have to sell interest in Derby but they fit the profile

is the baseball owner correct though? Its from the Mirror. Nursey came out and said theres no takeover talk and that Villa denied it and now his colleague is saying.. oh yes there is one.

Sounds like BS to me.

is the baseball owner correct though? Its from the Mirror. Nursey came out and said theres no takeover talk and that Villa denied it and now his colleague is saying.. oh yes there is one.

Sounds like BS to me.

Actually Nursey said that he has sources that suggest it is happening but the club themselves deny it. The club's denial means very little when it comes to takeover talk as it would be the default response until the deal is made official anyway.

I just hope it's someone with a plan. I don't want millions to pile in without one ala Lerner.

I also hope we're not owned by one man again. Who might well get bored again and we end up like this again.

I don't think this is to much to ask.

I want excitement too. Millions piling in is all dandy for me.

Are those guys mentioned rich enough? I mean if you have to cater both a baseball team and Villa, a billion or two are not enough. You won't be spending big with that money. We need an owner worth at least four billion.

Still dreaming of Ellison.

• Like 1

The names I've seen mentioned are of a similar wealth to Randy and one of them, Jim Crane is said to run his team like Lerner runs Villa so maybe he wants someone to carry on his legacy.

but then again if your to believing this story then you might as well believe the Express story which states that two Billionaires are interested as part of a consortium. So maybe one is the money man and the other has the expertise in sports.

Surely you'd have to be mad to be worth a couple of Billion dollars and blow 250 Million of that on a Football team.

• Like 1

And what exactly is the Liverpool model?

Don't know but it sure worked well!

Let Kenny Dalglish throw absurd amounts of cash at players like Charlie Adam and Andy Carroll, realize how stupid it was and then roll the dice on a new manager. 

• Like 2

Their model is score more than the opposition, and the reason they're doing so is that rat playing upfront. Without him I think they would be on par with Everton.

It also helps having a "12th man" in every game. I am of course talking about the refs as opposed to the **** annoying fans.

• Like 2

Surely no-ones going to buy Aston Villa and wanting to run it into the ground!!! They'll definitely have plans for investment to improve us and push us further up the league! Hopefully slowly and surely and not paying over the top like o'nearly did.

• Like 1

Their model is score more than the opposition, and the reason they're doing so is that rat playing upfront. Without him I think they would be on par with Everton.

In fairness to Liverpool, even without Suarez they play decent football. Best offensive side in the PL by a mile.

Problem with owners is they generally load the club with debt. There are far more tales of woe than positive ones, a couple of tough seasons for Man U will see them under duress due to their highly leveraged position (and why Moyes will be gone this summer).

The scary thing is that even with Lerners vast wealth and initial enthusiasm, his pockets aren't deep enough!

Lerner came in with great intentions albeit from a business point of view rather than any great love of AVFC. It took him 3 years to realise that it would take a lot more investment than he'd thought originally.

He's paid something like £120mil to purchase the club, invested in several projects such as the training ground, hospitality areas, Holte pub etc. These are all things that will have increased the clubs value & make it a more attractive proposition to potential buyers.

As I see it, he's made a business gamble that failed, he needs to cut his losses-The longer he remains in charge, the bigger the drain on his finances.

New owners will inevitably invest more than Lerner has these past few seasons which can only be good for us fans-Maybe a consortium is a better option in terms of the amount that will be injected into the club.

Piss money up the wall with some shite management appointments and 100% belief in those managers transfers - which aim at 'proven' (over priced) English and Premier League players in the chase for Champions League football until you realise it isn't going to work.

Sounds familiar.

Difference being that when Randy realised it wasn't going to work he pulled all his real investment and John Henry carefully selected his new manager with a decent interview and selection process. Chose him correctly and they invested cleverly from then on.

I'd rather not follow the 'Liverpool' model. As it didn't work until Rodgers came in and stamped his mark on the club, with his philosophy etc. Following that model means doing a 'Lerner' and then relies entirely on us finding the right manager. Essentially, doing exactly what we have already done and then not hiring Houllier, McLeish or Lambert. Gamble

Buy the title, a whacking dollop of refereeing decisions . But then tell everyone how you won it with players that came through the youth team and shrewd cut price acquisitions 

• Like 3

Buy the title, a whacking dollop of refereeing decisions . But then tell everyone how you won it with players that came through the youth team and shrewd cut price acquisitions

Haha, so true. They didn't buy it apparently.