Paul Faulkner

smetrov

IF, Pat Murphy is right and Lerner was trying to force Faulkner into a non-operational role, why would Lerner do that?

It's always seemed to me like Faulkner was doing exactly as Lerner wanted, so why change it?

Rumours circulating that Paul Faulkner may leave in summer to fulfil increased responsibility with the FA #avfc

And that guy talks out of his arsehole, lock the ting

Never use that guy as a credible source, let alone start a thread on that basis!

Awkward.

Not at all, he isn't a credible source. 

The info was wrong re the FA and it was posted after the news was already out in some quarters.

Some good news at last!

Never took to this guy and I disliked "The General" from the word go, always seemed fake as does most things to do with Lerner.

Good riddance to the lot of them.

Let's remember that Faulkner and Lerner did business way before either of them came to Villa, be interesting if anything else comes out from it. I can't imagine it having any impact on the sale of the club, although it is more costs now cut.

Who gives a shit, seriously

I kind of see where you are coming from, its a bit like FFP its not what as a football supporter you want to be talking about or even what we used to be talking about, a few years back we certainly wouldn't be talking about a CEO or other senior board room figures stepping down. 

But the days of managers sorting contracts on the back of fag packets or agreeing personal terms on a motorway service station are a thing of the past, these days I'm really not sure how much involvement managers have with all that sort of thing.

Whatever people think or thought of Paul Faulkner and trust me I've been pretty critical at times, and irrespective of his suitability for the role initially he has a good 8 years experience within it now. In all that time he has been the one dealing with players contracts, dealing with agents, closing deals for incoming or out going players.

Now, I know people will say "well he did a crap job there then" and in some instances I would probably agree or perhaps even be saying it.

But think about what just happened, the one and only person within the club with any experience in dealing with these matters on behalf of the manager and/or owner just announced he was off. Not only that but did so a few weeks after our absentee owner told us all his heart wasn't in it, an owner who I personally believe is a bit of a clown.

This at a time when the club is for sale, we've 3 of our better players out of contract next summer and we've a weak squad and around 8 weeks of the transfer window remaining.

Robin Russell might be stepping into his shoes but he has no experience dealing with agents, players or their contracts. Yes there will be a hand over period I'm sure but I'm not sure you can hand over 8 years experience in whatever handover period is in place. Sure Faulkner will still be around and so will for the immediate future probably take the lead but what about when he goes?

Is Randy going to get involved? I don't see that going well. Is Randy going to recruit someone with experience? I can't see that somehow.

We are for sale but seemingly nowhere near getting sold and regardless of his ability or otherwise we just lost or are about to lose the only person other than the manager who has any idea about dealing with some of the most important aspects of the club.

That to me is something fans of the club should be bothered about even if we wish this shit wasn't important, sadly it is. That is football these days.

Oh and for what its worth, I wouldn't pay too much attention to Pat Murphy. 

Excellent post Trent.

...Robin Russell might be stepping into his shoes but he has no experience dealing with agents, players or their contracts. ...

How do you know a Robin Russell has no experience dealing with agents and contracts? Faulkner isn't a one man band. If I'm right contracts were signed and agents dealt with whilst Faulkner was at the WC with the FA?? We would have a whole host of people who who are involved in these types of dealings. Would it be an issue if we wasn't up for sale? Robin Russell has been at the club for years and worked alongside Faulkner so i'd say he has been involved in plenty of deals.

• Like 3

How do you know a Robin Russell has no experience dealing with agents and contracts? Faulkner isn't a one man band. If I'm right contracts were signed and agents dealt with whilst Faulkner was at the WC with the FA?? We would have a whole host of people who who are involved in these types of dealings. Would it be an issue if we wasn't up for sale? Robin Russell has been at the club for years and worked alongside Faulkner so i'd say he has been involved in plenty of deals.

I have reason to believe that isn't the case, that Russell hasn't been dealing with agents etc and that it has been Faulkner. I can't give you proof of that but I certainly believe it to be true based on what I've been told. But obviously, everyone is free to hold their own views.

• Like 1

The club employ an 'in house' solicitor who is there to deal with contracts etc.....it's what is in those contracts that needs negotiating and that is what PF did

Edited by Denis_B
  • Like 1

So Trent, you say don't listen to Pat Murphy. Are you implying that Faulkner left on his own terms rather than being pushed out the door like Murphy is suggesting?

No implications intended, more a general comment on his coverage of the club post Ellis.

• Like 1

So Trent, you say don't listen to Pat Murphy. Are you implying that Faulkner left on his own terms rather than being pushed out the door like Murphy is suggesting?

No implications intended, more a general comment on his coverage of the club post Ellis.

Fair enough  :thumb: 

Well the statement on AVFC.co.uk says that Randy wanted PF re-engage in in his broader business plans and to work in a non operational role at VP, so maybe Pat Murphy was correct. From the quotes on the website, it looks like everything happened on good terms and their are no hard feelings, so hopefully no more tribunals to worry about on this one. I guess that means we operate at a bare minimum of staffing levels with Robin Russell combining the two jobs pending the takeover. If we do see a new CEO appointed now, then I guess that would point to a takeover being a long way off.

Â