Paul Faulkner

smetrov

Nobody knows what Russell's exact job spec was and is; likewise they never knew what Paul Faulkner's job spec was. It's all guess work and hearsay to suggest that the CFO had no contact with agents and players. I'm making an equally wild guess that he was involved with negotiations, given that he's CFO, and that he sat in on board meetings. It's very common for a CFO to step up to CEO in companies.

Robin has been at the club since 2006. I'm sure he knows the inner workings of the club inside and out.

Actually it isn't but as I said you like everyone else are free to make their own minds up but what I posted on this wasn't a wild guess.

I bet Robin Russell can do whatever he puts his mind to, he'll see us right until we get a more perm CEO.

You do know this is the CFO who's presided over 6 years of utter financial shambles?  As with Faulkner, I imagine he's only doing his master's bidding, but there doesn't seem to have been much financial awareness involved from the board in that time.

Well I guess I just meant that I bet Russell can do anything Faulkner can do. Depending on your view that might not be a good thing.

Yes I'm sure he could but then I'm sure the same is true of lots of people but there is a difference between being able to and being experienced in but hey it's only agents, footballers and clubs it's not like anyone will take advantage.

• Like 1

We are a shambles.

Back in the Ellis days we used to refer to Villa being run like a corner shop, and we were, and now we are back there once again. Only this corner shop, with a turnover of circa £100million has one person in its boardroom to manage the day to day business.

If the cleaner takes their time later whilst polishing the boardroom table they might be offered a position on the board.

Utter shambles.

• Like 1

I would say the last thing we need over the next few months is to be without a Chief Executive, particularly one who, for all his perceived faults, as Trent points out knows his way around the club and the transfer round.

I bet Robin Russell can do whatever he puts his mind to, he'll see us right until we get a more perm CEO.

That's not going to happen until after a takeover, is it? A takeover that clearly is not imminent.

People with the experience required to run a Premier League football club as CEO are not going to want to come to work for a man who has openly professed his desire to sell the club.

Looking at the general reaction, this seems to be a point a lot of people are missing.

This will not be "Faulkner goes, better CEO comes ", not while Lerner still runs the club.

I can think of lots of things Faulkner screwed up and am not really going to shed any tears about him going, but it is hard to see how an even bigger chunk of uncertaintly chucked onto the vat of shit we are in at the moment is going to help.

With Faulkner, people often - correctly - complained that we were run by someone who didn't know much about the game. Well now we're being run by someone who probably doesn't know what a football is, reporting to someone who doesn't care what a football is anymore.

Edited by uncle_junior

When I said until we get a more permanent CEO (or shoud I have said Chief Executive?) I was speaking about when Randy leaves, I wouldn't expect him to hire anyone decent in the mean time.

Maybe unlike some I think a takeover may not be too far away and am hopeful that yeserdays statement and todays Faulkner news points to that. When I say not too far away I don't mean the next few weeks but at least in the next few months.

As I've said I'm sure this Russell guy is a capable person.

Edited by useless

So goes Paul Faulkner, whose reign as chief executive is almost the exact time of the decline of the Lerner project. He will be missed as much as tooth ache. Here is a man who was given the job on his close friendship of the owner. He was neither a Villa man to the core, nor a successful football administrator with a proven track record.  He was promoted due to patronage and set about peddling a message of half  truths and pr waffle for the last four years. Under his watch we have sunk to a side just to be pleased to be in the top flight. He has overseen the total retrenchment of our ambitions and to become a selling club. He led us to quietly drop the North Stand redevelopment and replaced our kit sponsorship from Nike to a brand most people had never heard off.  He gave us McLeish as the future and promised that that was a plan. No there was not.  It has been four years of cut backs overseen by Faulkner as our bored owner has got fed up of his play thing.  We have been fed lies by a lackey who is now fleeing the sinking ship. Goodbye and good riddance.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

So goes Paul Faulkner, whose reign as chief executive is almost the exact time of the decline of the Lerner project. He will be missed as much as tooth ache. Here is a man who was given the job on his close friendship of the owner. He was neither a Villa man to the core, nor a successful football administrator with a proven track record.  He was promoted due to patronage and set about peddling a message of half  truths and pr waffle for the last four years. Under his watch we have sunk to a side just to be pleased to be in the top flight. He has overseen the total retrenchment of our ambitions and to become a selling club. He led us to quietly drop the North Stand redevelopment and replaced our kit sponsorship from Nike to a brand most people had never heard off.  He gave us McLeish as the future and promised that that was a plan. No there was not.  It has been four years of cut backs overseen by Faulkner as our bored owner has got fed up of his play thing.  We have been fed lies by a lackey who is now fleeing the sinking ship. Goodbye and good riddance.

respect your right to your opinion but could not disagree more.  UTV

• Like 1

respect your right to your opinion but could not disagree more.  UTV

Curious to hear your reasons why you disagree so strongly with that post. 

What I take from this is the fact that Randy wanted to move him out of the CEO role anyway. So whether he left the club or not, he wasn't going to be CEO any more. That makes the fact that he's gone irrelevant and, in all but the most insane of circumstances, would point at Randy either having someone else in mind, or being closer to a sale than we think. This wasn't Faulkner deciding to leave, this was him being removed from his role regardless, but being offered someone else instead which he declined.

Of course, this is Villa, so the most insane of circumstances are the norm.

• Like 2

Â