Leicester City

Villan4Life

Can't fully buy into the love in they are a shitty little club and those wooden clap things they have at home matches are cringe.....and they are from the midlands, there is only one team in the midlands and that's us.

But based purely on the fact they can give other teams believe on what can be done, a bit like when Atletico won La Liga (appreciate they are a much bigger club than Leicester but budget was similar and were utter shyte before Simeone) then i can certainly live with them winning it. 

Edited by supernova26
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing is I can see them winning against Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd which are all great European Clubs. 

I just can't imagine them lasting 10 minutes against Bayern, Juventus or Barca.

I know it's technically the Midlands but I struggle to class them as a local rival or anything.

It's 40 minutes away on the train/road, they don't even feature on Midlands today sport.

Bit like when I live in Stoke for a few years, yes it's the Midlands but Manchester is closer by train/transport links so the population tend to go up there rather than Brum and well they way they speak is nothing like a Midlands accent! Nice easy away game to get to and all but I never class Stoke as a real Midlands team, more the start of the North west.

Must be the first time in a long while aswell we've had a top of the table team which no other set of clubs fans despises. Forest and Derby are the nearest "rivals" but they're too busy sacking managers and having a blind man fight in the championship.

Nobody gives a s*** about Coventry. :)

When Blackburn were winning the league, you had the whole of Burnley on suicide watch for example. 

Edited by VillaChris

good on them because midlands footy has gone right downhill. 

villa

forest

wolves

west brm

derby

leicester

thats where leicester are historically in the midlands. forest and wolves are close but forest with their european legacy edge it, and derby and west brom is a close one too. can leicester become a midlands powerhouse? doubt it but they have potential.

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

good on them because midlands footy has gone right downhill. 

villa

forest

wolves

west brm

derby

leicester

thats where leicester are historically in the midlands. forest and wolves are close but forest with their european legacy edge it, and derby and west brom is a close one too. can leicester become a midlands powerhouse? doubt it but they have potential.

Yes except we have only won one league title since 1910 and one FA Cup since 1920, so really our history is so far back its a bit of a myth, because football wasn't as competitive then, less teams. 1980/82 was a blip. Yes we have won league cups but that has never been considered a major trophy. wolves won 3 league titles in the 50s so they really should be ahead of us, so should Forest and Derby

Edited by PaulC

18 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes we have won league cups but that has never been considered a major trophy. wolves won 3 league titles in the 50s so they really should be ahead of us, so should Forest and Derby

lastminute2.gif

Just came across a great piece comparing the Atletico title winning side with this current Leicester side, definitely worth a read if interested. Here's a little extract as I'm pretty sure I've got a warning for not including one before. http://twentyminutereads.com/2016/02/04/secrets-of-the-italian-4-4-2/

The 4-4-2 has been viewed as a fossil over the last ten years, mainly because of how its two strikers leave the midfield vulnerable and outnumbered. But its initial secret was of the defensive kind. When Arrigo Sacchi installed it at AC Milan in the late 1980s—outsmarting opponents with an aggressive offside trap, zonal marking and small distances between the lines—No10s struggled to find time and space. The Sacchi school was an adventurous departure from the man-marking five-man defences prevalent in Serie A, but its main message centred on solid team shape. The system would inspire many coaches, such as Rafa Benítez, the Valencia boss in 2004. “Four-four-two is the best defensive system that exists,” Ancelotti, who was Sacchi’s regista at Milan and later his assistant for Italy, said in 2014. “Four-three-three doesn’t give the balance required and it’s more difficult to pressure higher upfield. Our intention is to defend with a 4-4-2 and attack with a 4-3-3.”

The anatomy of the 4-4-2s used by Simeone and Ranieri are comparable. Both teams tend to stay deep, with the lines positioned between twenty and fifty yards. Particularly at Atlético, the wingers tuck inside to form a tight-knit midfield four that cuts off potential passing angles centrally. (A Spanish journalist once called Simeone’s team “denser than stone”.) In both sides, the strikers drop down to disturb the opposition’s deep-lying central midfielders, a move that allows their own ball-winners to fall back and protect the defence. A pedant might call it 4-4-2-0. Going forward, long balls fly over the top, into the channels and down the flanks. Atlético won their title with a possession average of 49.1 percent, the ninth highest in the league, while Leicester currently have the third lowest average, with 43.9 percent, and the worst pass completion rate, with 69.5 percent.

5 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes except we have only won one league title since 1910 and one FA Cup since 1920, so really our history is so far back its a bit of a myth, because football wasn't as competitive then, less teams. 1980/82 was a blip. Yes we have won league cups but that has never been considered a major trophy. wolves won 3 league titles in the 50s so they really should be ahead of us, so should Forest and Derby

thats the problem with our trophy haul, a lot of it was won before the wars. since the wars we have won 1 league,1 fa cup,5 league cup,1 european cup and a super cup. 21 trophies overall with 9 of them post war.

forest have 1 league,2 fa cups(one post war) 4 league cups,2 european cups and a super cup. thats 10 overall with 9 of them post war.

wolves have 3 league(all in the 50s, plus runners up 3 times in the 50s) 4 fa cups,2 league cups, also were uefa cup runners up and were a big player in the development of what we now know as the european cup. thats 9 trophies overall with 7 of them post war.

derby have 2 league(both in the 70s) 1 fa cup, all which were post war. also got to the semi finals in the european cup.

you could say forest edge us with their 2 european cups, but they were a small ish club until the late 70s a bit like leeds were a nothing club until the mid 60s. some may say wolves edge us with their dominance in the 50s and were one of the greatest english club sides ever. but villa imo have always been considered a big club from the start of football where the others have not, even in bad times like now people still view us as one of the true big clubs. also take into account we are the best supported club in the midlands and have been for the majority of time since football began. counts for naff all i know but im a sucker for clubs histories and i think its the real statement of a club. there are so many great footy clubs in england. 

back OT,  great result for leicester. this is the result which has made my mind up now, and i think its 90% theirs. easily the best team this season.

• Like 1

Another win, they are going to do it aren't they? I'm more interested in Leicester's games this season now than I am about Villa!

Would be a exceptional achievement to win it. Come on Leicester! 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Must be the first time in a long while aswell we've had a top of the table team which no other set of clubs fans despises. Forest and Derby are the nearest "rivals" but they're too busy sacking managers and having a blind man fight in the championship.

Peterborough fans seem to really hate Leicester but there are not many of them so they hardly register. 

Whenever I've watched Leicestuh on TV they really havent entertained me (apart from the citeh away game); they've just done the job & got the points. They dont have players who send a buzz of dread amongst opposition fans when they get on the ball ( I remember the anxious murmurings at VP when stuart pearce was lining up a free kick for forest - that sort of thing)

Credit where it's due but the thought of Robert Huth thugging his way to a title medal doesn't sit easy.

Â