Leicester City

Villan4Life

7 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I still think Arsenal fans might need to be careful what they wish for when it comes to binning Wenger.  Getting rid is no guarantee they'll improve, he's been the best manager they have had since Herbert Chapman and he's delivered silverware in the past two seasons.  

Yes they went many years without challenging for the title after 71. No divine right to win titles.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Wenger still has probably earnt the right to decide when he leaves.

Interestingly he'll have 1 year left on his deal at end of the season. In normal cases the board would be stepping in with a new 3 year deal but that will cause mutiny if they finish 4th this season and below likes of Spurs and Leicester.

Interesting to see how it plays out.

His age must be a factor too, Arsene is 66½ now, he'll be 67 a few weeks into next season and he'll be almost 68 by the time his current deal expires.  He might not want to be doing this for much longer, even if you have a large backroom staff like Arsenal clearly do, being a football manager is often a 24 hour a day 7 day a week job.  Yeah, he goes home after training but he'll always be answering calls, taking emails, watching videos, thinking about tactics and a million other things. Will he still want that as a septuagenarian?

Football management is like a drug to me though isn't it? Likes of Big Sam and Warnock said they'd retire at 60 and they keep coming back to not particularly attractive jobs. 

It's very unlikely due to his age but I think a small part of Wenger would want to beat Fergie's longevity at Man. United but that would require him staying on for another 7 years which would take him up to his mid 70s so very much doubt it.

What's clear is that no one will ever do 20 years at a club again imo. It will look even more incredible in 20-30 years time, the young generation then will be looking in astonishment that managers lasted that long at clubs when they're getting sacked every two weeks. 

52 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Just turned onto the Watford game to see a player ghost past two players. Turns out he can whip a cross and works his socks off. Think they got him as a free transfer, oh how I wish we had players like that....

Thing is, you can guarantee that if he was still here he'd be performing mediocre at best (which was what he was like for most of his time here actually barring his first season). I don't know if it's because the club is rotten and we drag players down or Leicester are making players look better than they actually are but either way I don't think he'd be playing like this with us.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Thing is, you can guarantee that if he was still here he'd be performing mediocre at best (which was what he was like for most of his time here actually barring his first season). I don't know if it's because the club is rotten and we drag players down or Leicester are making players look better than they actually are but either way I don't think he'd be playing like this with us.

He was dragged at half time. I always liked him, willing to run and put a ball in. Currently we dont remotely look like attacking and on previous mediocre form or current form hed be in my Villa team. 

It is just absolutely crazy what they're doing. It's brilliant. I think if they went into second they'd fade away, as long as the pressure is on to stay there I think they'll keep going, and 5 points clear at this stage massive. I just really hope they don't have any 'wind knocked out of them' moments.

14 minutes ago, Nicho said:

He was dragged at half time. I always liked him, willing to run and put a ball in. Currently we dont remotely look like attacking and on previous mediocre form or current form hed be in my Villa team. 

All I'm saying is that if he was in this current team he'd probably be playing just a poorly as most other players.

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Those punters who have cashed out on their 5000-1 bets must be starting to get very twitchy...

Some guy cashed out at £29k this week.   TBH even if they win the league and he could have had the £100k I doubt he'd be too annoyed unless he's mental.  

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Those punters who have cashed out on their 5000-1 bets must be starting to get very twitchy...

There was a guy on the radio the other day, who cashed out a possible £100k for £29k, as he wasn't enjoying the matches any more, as he was worrying about his bet too much. Not a bad chunk of change to be fair. He also has a £10, 400/1 bet on them finishing in the top 3.  

31 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I was always a massive fan and was very sad when he left. The fact that we couldn't help him build on his obvious talent - indeed seemed to be destroying it - is one of the many things that have made me despise Villa over the past 5 years.

5 pts clear with 9 games to go. They really are a proper team. Work their socks off for each other, counter attack at such pace and in Mahrez and Vardy they have match winners.

Edited by PaulC

Â