Leicester City

Villan4Life

13 hours ago, PaulC said:

Big win for Leicester. Probably their toughest game in a while. Palace threw everything at them but they were resolute at the back.

said it before they are like the opposite of Villa, players that actually want to defend and put their body on the line

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

said it before they are like the opposite of Villa, players that actually want to defend and put their body on the line

Definitely.

Tight at the back means with the strikers they have they can pinch a 1-0 0r more win

Crap at the back means with the "strikers" we have we will blow it 0-1 or more

Edited by turnbull
grammar

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

and fullbacks that do what they are meant to do and dont bomb forward all the time. Leave the crossing to players that can play like Mahrez and Albrighton. I have to say Kante and Drinkwater have both been brilliant.

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Which when you think about it is exactly what you'd expect - for them, every result is the most important of their careers, possibly the most important in their clubs history, the next seven games are how they'll be remembered for their entire lives. For our players, we're drearily waiting for it to be over so they can start their careers again with a clean sheet, either in the Premier league with another club or in the Championship with us - no one will remember these next few games, the next one with any interest for our players will be in August. It's hardly any surprise that they're showing the opposite attitude to our lot.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Its in Sweden, Friends Arena. Read it today.

yeah its a strange one, its that champions cup or whatever its called that takes place in the states every year, this year they've split it so around 6 games are dotted around europe, barca vs celtic is in dublin

leicester have barca in sweden, celtic in glasgow and PSG in california

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

He's better than everyone thought he was.  That's for damn sure.  But I'd still take Benteke in a straight choice :)

long term so would I but just shows football can be strange like that

Absolutely.  Timing is everything in this game.  Being in the right place at the right time can make or break a career.   Ranieri is as much a case in point as Vardy is.  I found it quite amazing that the Tinkerman has never once lifted a league title in his career before, anywhere, ever. 

Benteke is the other case in point.  It probably made sense to him to move last summer.  He deserved it.  But many told him he was either selling himself short, or that he wouldn't fit in to their style, or that it was risky leaving a good thing (i.e. a striker scoring for fun) in the run-up to the Euros.  Hindsight is 20/20 but all 3 of those opinions look to be about spot on.  He chose the wrong place at the wrong time and it remains to be seen how it will affect his summer, if not the rest of his career, as it looks like he'll land on his feet in Turin in the summer.

saw something about him at the weekend, hes got something like 5 goals in his last 18 games, he's not in great form

its their defence that are seeing them towards the line, 6 clean sheets in the last 10 games, conceded 6 goals, won the last 3 games 1-0

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

saw something about him at the weekend, hes got something like 5 goals in his last 18 games, he's not in great form

its their defence that are seeing them towards the line, 6 clean sheets in the last 10 games, conceded 6 goals, won the last 3 games 1-0

I think Mahrez will probably overtake him as their top scorer by end of season but to his credit he is still making the runs and causing havoc, Hodgson still shouldnt start him in summer but good option as late counter attacker

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

I remember we were linked in summer for Vardy for 15 million and everybody(including myself) thought it be a typical waste of money by VIlla and he was nothing on Benteke :lol:

To be fair, I wouldn't pay £15m for Vardy even now. His success is very much a product of their system and on his own I don't think he'd be half as effective. The only player in their team who you could say is truly class is Mahrez. Kante seems alright as well. Other than that, they're mostly just decent players performing way above their level.

they are really a lot more than performing above their level, they are on verge of winning the title. Villa under MON when at our strongest never got near this especially now the bigger teams got more powerful spending

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

they are really a lot more than performing above their level, they are on verge of winning the title. Villa under MON when at our strongest never got near this especially now the bigger teams got more powerful spending

What are they then? Even if the team stays intact I can't see them doing any better than top 6 next season (which is of course still a good achievement given where they were recently). I genuinely believe this is mostly a case of everything just falling into place. If you think about it, there's always a chance that a certain combination of events and factors will throw up something like this the odds are just very very low. They have been quite fortunate with injuries as well.

If they go on to consistently challenge for the league/top 4 then I'll reevaluate my position but right now I don't see them as anything more than a collection of decent players (besides Mahrez who is potentially world class) who just happen to gel exceptionally well together. I think psychology plays a part as well - mentally they're the exact opposite of us. When the bubble bursts though, and it will burst at some point next season most likely, I'm not sure they'll ever go back to seriously challenging for the title.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

Â