Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Would welcome Defoe here. Always been a clinical finisher and great movement in and around the box.

Would tide us over until Tekkers is back.

Really really want a decent winger though

Aside from the fact he is on £90k and the last time he was in the PL he looked past it.

I'm very suspicious of this Canales bid. The likes of Tom Ross and Nick Mashiter are going to great lengths to tell us Villa have definitely bid. Sounds a bist like something the club have put out just to show they're trying to buy players knowing well it won't happen. Of course I could be completely wrong and I hope I am.

This old chestnut again.

Why does every link to a player we want have to be something cooked up by the club just to make it look like we're trying to sign exciting players? Why is it so hard for some people to understand that there are lots of deals that clubs intend to follow through with but don't for various reasons out of their control?

Just seems to happen at our club too regularly. Especially when villa are known for bein extremely tight lipped about transfers. Was it last January where we heard afterwards that the club had intended to make an £8m-£10m signing as well?

What seems to happen too regularly, you mean being linked to players we want but not actually signing them? I hate to break it to you but that happens with EVERY club. Just because we are linked with exciting players and they don't happen doesn't mean it's one big conspiracy on behalf of the club to drum up ticket sales or make it look like they were interested when really they weren't.

That was just pure speculation - certainly the club or Lambert never said anything like that.

Would welcome Defoe here. Always been a clinical finisher and great movement in and around the box.

Would tide us over until Tekkers is back.

Really really want a decent winger though

Aside from the fact he is on £90k and the last time he was in the PL he looked past it.

Yes

I'm very suspicious of this Canales bid. The likes of Tom Ross and Nick Mashiter are going to great lengths to tell us Villa have definitely bid. Sounds a bist like something the club have put out just to show they're trying to buy players knowing well it won't happen. Of course I could be completely wrong and I hope I am.

This old chestnut again.

Why does every link to a player we want have to be something cooked up by the club just to make it look like we're trying to sign exciting players? Why is it so hard for some people to understand that there are lots of deals that clubs intend to follow through with but don't for various reasons out of their control?

Just seems to happen at our club too regularly. Especially when villa are known for bein extremely tight lipped about transfers. Was it last January where we heard afterwards that the club had intended to make an £8m-£10m signing as well?

What seems to happen too regularly, you mean being linked to players we want but not actually signing them? I hate to break it to you but that happens with EVERY club. Just because we are linked with exciting players and they don't happen doesn't mean it's one big conspiracy on behalf of the club to drum up ticket sales or make it look like they were interested when really they weren't.

That was just pure speculation - certainly the club or Lambert never said anything like that.

Look all I know is to this point we have spent a paltry £6m on players when much more is needed. I just wonder when people will stop being sucked in by rumours of spending £8m on players. That could all change by 11pm of course. I just doubt it very much. Edited by limvillian

This old chestnut again.

Look all I know is to this point we have spent a paltry £6m on players when much more is needed. I just wonder when people will stop being sacked in by rumours of spending £8m on players.

We are not being sacked in.

it's a bit of fun, a bit of entertainment. For me anyways.

Look all I know is to this point we have spent a paltry £6m on players when much more is needed. I just wonder when people will stop being sacked in by rumours of spending £8m on players. That could all change by 11pm of course. I just doubt it very much.

I get that, but rumours are rumours - they can start just fine without the club even having to do anything.

Delph, Westwood, Sanchez, Cole, Bacuna, Grealish and N'Zogbia make up for a pretty good midfield. Yes having someone like Cleverly or Canales would improve the squad, but we are already better than we were last season.

A positive to take out of this is that we were willing to spend the money on these players but personal issues stopped the buys and not the lack of our funds. 

Delph, Westwood, Sanchez, Cole, Bacuna, Grealish and N'Zogbia make up for a pretty good midfield. Yes having someone like Cleverly or Canales would improve the squad, but we are already better than we were last season.

A positive to take out of this is that we were willing to spend the money on these players but personal issues stopped the buys and not the lack of our funds. 

It's way too early to say that.

It's way too early to say that.

Agreed, there is still time for a cheeky Heskey style swoop.

Saying that I will not be gutted if we get no one in, and I will not be shouting my disgust. We have done some good solid business this window. A bit of attacking impetus would be nice, but we should have enough to see us alright, and there is always January :)