Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

In fairness, Management did sort a number deals early. The shelf clearing at other clubs only unfolds towards the end of the window, and with agents playing clubs off against each other its a difficult time to close out deals.

Let's not forget, and it may shock a few, but we are not the most attractive proposition in the PL and we are relatively constrained too. at least we seem to have a handle sensible finances as boring as that may be.

Yes but i doubt there was much competition for Richardson, Cole and Senderos - not saying they are bad signings but they hardly rocked the world.

Sanchez took the kind of effort (third party ownership guff) which seemed to put off most other clubs, glad we signed him but again no-one else came in for him.

Yep our stature as a club has been harmed by years of comedy mismanagement, but i don't believe many players care about that anymore, they just want money (presuming their club doesn't want them and they won't get champs league football). If they join a club and get relegated they don't care, they usually get rewarded by a new club/contract elsewhere.

Edited by VillanousOne

Incognito AVFC tweeting more PR bollocks about how we tried but things change quickly in football/business. Poor planning and execution from the people in charge of our club. We continue to be run in such an amateur fashion.

And you really know that this is unprofessional behaviour from the club? If he's said that he's interested and then suddenly, today, says he wants £80k a week you don't feel that they might have a point that he fooled them a bit? And he left it a bit late for us to move for other targets?
Not really in the mood for an argument. You have your opinion and, funnily enough, I have my own.
Well, it's also a theory which you use to blame the club in a way that I guess you don't have a clue about what really happened.
Nobody really has a clue. Just their own opinions. I will stick with mine thanks.

Surely if the deals the manager wants aren't available, we shouldn't just sign someone for sake of it?

Completely this, how can we possibly face anyone tomorrow knowing that our club haven't spent 10s of millions of pounds today?

Shows how far we've fallen.

Everyone Out!

Surely if the deals the manager wants aren't available, we shouldn't just sign someone for sake of it?

Completely this, how can we possibly face anyone tomorrow knowing that our club haven't spent 10s of millions of pounds today?

Everyone Out!

But it does show how far we've fallen.

Maybe if the manager was given a decent budget to work with more of his targets would have become players we could sign.

We are in a period where books are just about balanced, do we want to risk our future again? For the likes of Heskey, Davies etc the MoN signed?

It always goes downhill on here in the last hour of transfer deadline day.

Usually because the manager tells people that he is looking to bring a couple of players in and it doesn't happen.

Duped every season!

Everyone Out!

But it does show how far we've fallen.

Or it shows we've already strengthened, had a good start to the campaign and aren't willing to be ass raped by agents on deadline day?

I'm not on about today.  We've had an entire window and spent £8 million

Even though we'll most likely end the window having only spent a small amount (unless there's a big u-turn on Cleverley) the fact that we were clearly prepared to pay £8m for him is interesting. Maybe there are new owners waiting in the wings?

Maybe if the manager was given a decent budget to work with more of his targets would have become players we could sign.

We are in a period where books are just about balanced, do we want to risk our future again? For the likes of Heskey, Davies etc the MoN signed?

Why would giving the manager decent money to spend be risking our future, Unless you have no faith in lambert signing anyone decent

I don't believe there was any intention to 'mislead' or its a 'PR stunt'. I just believe that Lambert wanted Cleverley and had an eye on Canales. He's bid for both, Canales wants to stay in Spain and Cleverley clearly messed us around. Why would we wait until 8/9pm on deadline day to pull out if there was never any chance? This has been going on for days, he has et Lambert/Keane etc. I believe his agent thought he could get a better deal elsewhere/next summer.

• Like 1

Agreed - but we did need an midfielder, it didn't have to be Cleverley or bust - hes not that special, there were plenty of other midfielders out there....and apparently we had the money...

Why would giving the manager decent money to spend be risking our future, Unless you have no faith in lambert signing anyone decent

Is it risking our future if we spend beyond our means.

I disagree BigJohnah10: the manager clearly had funds to his disposal. I think we've had a good window. We're retaining players and strengthening - slowly but surely - it's coming together.

And I'm glad we aren't paying a slightly above average midfielder 80K per week.