The Boring Thread

Spoony

About twenty years ago I used to work with a bloke who struggled to say the word “apostrophe”.

I remember it coming up in conversation.

“I can’t pronounce that word <short pause to give himself a run up to it> a-post-tro-free?”

and then looking crestfallen when he realised he’d needlessly ****ed it by adding that r sound.

I often wonder whether he still gets it wrong.

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

About twenty years ago I used to work with a bloke who struggled to say the word “apostrophe”.

“I can’t pronounce that word <short pause to give himself a run up to it> a-post-tro-free?”

and then looking crestfallen when he realised he’d needlessly ****ed it by adding that r sound.

I am sure he probably do'es

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I once had a boss who said "crips" instead of crisps.

I lost all respect I had for him that day

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I work with a Romanian guy, very clever man and speaks excellent English. He does however keep writing “shore” in place of “sure”. 

It takes all my energy not to correct it, because who am I to correct this guy who speak a second language excellently?

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

I work with a Romanian guy, very clever man and speaks excellent English. He does however keep writing “shore” in place of “sure”. 

It takes all my energy not to correct it, because who am I to correct this guy who speak a second language excellently?

I would correct him, because if the boot was on the other foot I would want him to correct me to improve my language. He probably wouldn't see it as an insult because to become that good at a second language, he has probably been corrected thousands of times. That said, email him in case he kicks off 😉

Edited by luckyeddie
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Genie said:

I work with a Romanian guy, very clever man and speaks excellent English. 

Funnily enough, one of our nieces is married to a Romanian bloke, he was at the funeral yesterday. Despite having been here for many years, his English is still terrible. 

In fairness there are probably several relatively common words I struggle to pronounce correctly (although any such example escapes me).

The main thing about my apostrophe former colleague was him adding an r when he tried to pronounce it. Typically when I think of speech impediments I think of people who struggle with the letter r, so this guy adding one in, almost giving himself a little hurdle I found curious.

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

We had a physics teacher at school, mad Welsh bloke, who couldn't pronounce the word 'parallel'.  

When I was an apprentice we had a Northern Irish instructor for Radar stuff, and he couldn’t pronounce “frequency synthesis”. It just came out as “funfuthufunthusus”.

One last (possibly boring) thing about the funeral - @Seat68 would probably approve of the fact that the final bit of music she went out to was Johnny Cash's 'Far Side Banks of Jordan'. Better than 'Ring of Fire', I guess. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

One last (possibly boring) thing about the funeral - @Seat68 would probably approve of the fact that the final bit of music she went out to was Johnny Cash's 'Far Side Banks of Jordan'. Better than 'Ring of Fire', I guess. 

Far side banks of Jordan is amongst my top 10 Cash tunes. Definite approval. 

• Like 1

Â