The Boring Thread

Spoony

Neglected my household duties the weekend and getting desperate for clothes. Put my washing machine on a timer last night so it would be completed by the time I got up for work but I woke up and the clothes were bone dry, didn't even do a single cycle. Get home late tonight so it's a conundrum whether I will have a late one waiting for the washing cycle to complete or leave it another day and put on some trash gear at work tomorrow.

I could put a few shirts on a quick wash I suppose ready for morning.

On 23/07/2017 at 19:29, dAVe80 said:

Just had a legitimate reason to use my step ladders (they're not my real ladders) for the first time, to change a light bulb. I feel like such a bloody bloke!

I've not opened this thread in over a year by the looks of it as this was my next unread post. I used my step ladders yesterday to put some things up in the loft, only they buckled at the bottom with me 3/4 of the way up carrying a heavy base for a car seat.

I've escaped serious injury but my leg, back and side bloody hurt.

I've had them about 2 years and this has been their primary use without problems. Checked the weight limit and it was 15 stone. Considering I'm guessing I'm some where between 17-18 at the moment and the base is probably a few stone I think it may have been a tad over loaded.

I need to spend a bit more money and pay more attention when buying ladders next time.

1 hour ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I've not opened this thread in over a year by the looks of it as this was my next unread post. I used my step ladders yesterday to put some things up in the loft, only they buckled at the bottom with me 3/4 of the way up carrying a heavy base for a car seat.

I've escaped serious injury but my leg, back and side bloody hurt.

I've had them about 2 years and this has been their primary use without problems. Checked the weight limit and it was 15 stone. Considering I'm guessing I'm some where between 17-18 at the moment and the base is probably a few stone I think it may have been a tad over loaded.

I need to spend a bit more money and pay more attention when buying ladders next time.

Or just lose some weight you fat bastard ?

Edited by lapal_fan

On 23/08/2018 at 13:42, chrisp65 said:

old school rules!

Sainsbury's black soft touch

30348921598_1532959226.jpg

it's just invariably in the boot of the car, so other stuff gets written on

I use red, black, blue and green pens mostly. But I only really highlight in yellow. 

I tend not to use blue pens, as back in the day they didn't scan or photocopy very well and it's a habit that stuck.

I suspect modern facsimilie machines are better able to pick up the blue, but I've chosen not to test this.

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/09/2018 at 18:06, chrisp65 said:

I tend not to use blue pens, as back in the day they didn't scan or photocopy very well and it's a habit that stuck.

I suspect modern facsimilie machines are better able to pick up the blue, but I've chosen not to test this.

If you are still using facsimile machines I can only assume that you’re an ill-informed time traveller.

On 27/09/2018 at 10:06, chrisp65 said:

I'm the opposite.   I've always used blue pens because it made it easy to distinguish an original of a signed document from a photocopy.   Of course, since color copying and printing have become widespread it's less of an advantage.   It's also much less common to sign hard copies of documents any more.   But my pen color preference is firmly entrenched.

I remember the old hand turned Gestetner machines.

Type out your letter on a sheet of sort of carbon paper. Pin it to the drum of the machine and turn the handle.

Hey presto! ten to twelve unreadable copies!

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I remember the old hand turned Gestetner machines.

Type out your letter on a sheet of sort of carbon paper. Pin it to the drum of the machine and turn the handle.

Hey presto! ten to twelve unreadable copies!

Were they the same thing as bander (Banda? Never saw it written down) machines? 

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Were they the same thing as bander (Banda? Never saw it written down) machines? 

Yes, same sort of thing as the banda, I think we’re just differing on brand names.
Waxy glossy paper, a chemical smell and blurred pages of typewriter typeface in blue or purple or weirdly pretty much any colour except black.

Best machine ever was the A0 width and continuous roll (up to about 30 metres) dye line printers in the drawing office, surrounded by a heady mixture of acetone and ammonia fumes. This is back in the days of heavy smoking in the workplace. The guy responsible for the machine was a chain smoker in a room stacked high full of chemicals. It was an absolute art to get the original film backed drawing, marry it up backwards with a sheet of ammonia impregnated paper, burn off the excess ammonia then feed it through the UV roller to get the yellow trace to fix and turn blue (for a blueprint!). All without getting your tie caught in the rollers and ending up dead but with 5 copies of your flattened head. 

Kids today ain’t got these skills.

• Like 1

On 26/09/2018 at 23:04, HanoiVillan said:

Talking of washing clothes, I have one of these for drying clothes:

51uSI9OFLBL._SY450_.jpg

Obviously it's a piece of cheap shit made in China. Sometimes I want to leave it on when I'm at work, but I'm worried about it burning the apartment down. Am I being paranoid?

Wow.

I have a heated clothes rail which works ok (I live in a flat so nowhere to hang washing out) but the above looks much better.

I might look into it myself. I hate that smell on clothes when they haven't been dried properly.

That being said I'm probably moving to a house next year, so this conversation may be moot.

Â