The Boring Thread

Spoony

3 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Ask them what it's like to be agnatically descended from Henry IV ;)

Ancestry.com has recently confirmed that my grandfather's 29th-great-grandfather, Sir Robert Skinner, fought alongside William the Conqueror at the Battle of Hastings, losing a hand in the process. For his efforts, he was awarded Bolingbroke castle as a reward, where subsequently, 301 years later, Henry IV of Bolingbroke was born. 

I have since been annoying my wife all week by threatening to drive us to 'our castle' this weekend. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Apologies for not keeping you all up to date on my jaffa cake research. I do hope you are not cross with me for the delay. You may recall that the current league leaders are Morrisons jaffa cakes, due to their competitive price, and correct use of twelve-cake tubes, rather than the frankly unacceptable switch to tens perpetrated by McVities. Well, I have even better news. I have now sampled the even cheaper (currently 89p for 12) Morrisons Savers version, and I am delighted to announce that, despite the utilitarian packaging, they are exactly the same. I will be stocking up. Thank you for your attention. 

I may have said this before, but there is a high chance they are literally exactly the same.

As in made in the same factory, by the same people, with the same ingredients.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I may have said this before, but there is a high chance they are literally exactly the same.

As in made in the same factory, by the same people, with the same ingredients.

In this case, I'm 100% sure they are. The only differences are the box and the price. I'm never buying the regular ones again. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Occasionally, I accidently select a non-HD channel on sky and its like watching an old 1980's VHS tape.  

I can't see any significant difference. Same with Blu-Ray and DVD. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I can't see any significant difference. Same with Blu-Ray and DVD. 

My Dad says the same, he's got all the HD channels and I often walk in and he's watching football in normal def. 

It's a massive difference for me. Standard picture offends my eyes. 

• Like 3

Just now, wazzap24 said:

My Dad says the same, he's got all the HD channels and I often walk in and he's watching football in normal def. 

It's a massive difference for me. Standard picture offends my eyes. 

A mate of mine tried to demonstrate this while we were watching a football match - kept flicking between the HD and normal channels, and saying "See how much better it is?" Well, I could see a - very marginal - difference, but even then I didn't think the HD was better, particularly. I never put the HD channels on, simply because they're further down the channel list. 

Then again, I'm the same with audio - don't give a shit about hi-fi, I just want to hear the song, I'm not into listening to sound. 

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to see how many of the current Premier League managers I could name. I thought that I'd be lucky to get 10, but I managed 15.

I couldn't name the managers of Leicester, Watford, Swansea, Southampton or Stoke. 

I kicked myself when I saw who was Stoke's manager, I should have got that.

12 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I wanted to see how many of the current Premier League managers I could name. I thought that I'd be lucky to get 10, but I managed 15.

I couldn't name the managers of Leicester, Watford, Swansea, Southampton or Stoke. 

19 for me, I also don’t know who watford’s manager is (and I don’t see the point in learning his name as I dare say they’ll have another new manager in place in the near future).

I only know Southampton’s manager because his name is similar to the former Man City manager.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Erm..

Leicester - Claude Puel
Watford - Dunno
Swansea - Yer man from Sheffield Wednesday
Saints - Pellegrino, but not the one who used to manage Man City
Stoke - "We go again"

1 minute ago, dAVe80 said:

Erm..

Leicester - Claude Puel
Watford - Dunno
Swansea - Yer man from Sheffield Wednesday
Saints - Pellegrino, but not the one who used to manage Man City
Stoke - "We go again"

And now I've checked, yer man from Man City is actually called Pellegrini.

One of the oldest trees in Wales which was probably planted 1,000 years ago as a boundary marker along Offa's Dyke has fallen down.

The Buttington Oak was spotted collapsed in its field two miles from Welshpool in Powys by a man nicknamed the "tree hunter".

Rob McBride said he was sad to see such a significant tree grounded. The tree's girth measured 11m, which made it about 1,000 years old, he added.

Mr McBride, who records ancient trees in Wales, said the oak had enormous cultural significance as it was a pollard - it had not grown in the field naturally.

Instead, he said it would have been planted by local people to mark the site of the Battle of Buttington and also as part of Offa's Dyke - the border earthwork built by King Offa in the 8th Century.

"It's such a pity as this was the largest tree on Offa's Dyke and the second largest in Wales," he added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-43084088

Lost an Ent :(

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I absolutely love people who spend time finding things like this out.  They make the world so much more interesting.

R.I.P Mr. Tree.

Boy.. says something that my eulogy about a tree is more emotional than a school shooting.. :(

Emotionally drained of gun news items now.  My estimation of human life must have degraded.  Sad times.

On 1/26/2018 at 22:39, Rugeley Villa said:

I can't really tell, and I've always got it on normal. 

Well, too much of it does send you blind. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Â