Jose Mourinho

TRO

3 of those semi final defeats were penalty shoots outs, so I don't think it was Mourinho not being able to handle the pressure. Just unlucky in the lottery that is penalties.

But yeah whatevs.

• Like 1

It could be argued that he succeeds when his club are the underdogs, not the favourites. At Chelski and Madrid, he had two of the most expensively assembled squads in history, and with the latter he had the second best player in the world in his ranks. He failed with both to win the prize they really wanted. It's a different game when you are expected to win everything, and few managers really thrive under that sort of pressure.

Arguably Mourinho has a better chance of winning the CL with Chelski now because his team aren't expected to do as well.

Or maybe because winning any individual year required a decent amount of luck. See their penalties elimination against bayern with a weakened Chelsea side waiting in the final. Or the miss by a Chelsea players in stoppage time at anfield in the semis.

3 of those semi final defeats were penalty shoots outs, so I don't think it was Mourinho not being able to handle the pressure. Just unlucky in the lottery that is penalties.

But yeah whatevs.

Penalties aren't a lottery. That's a myth.

But yeah whatevs.

This is kinda true but it is still a better chance for the weaker team to win them. Chelsea in the 2012 final for example.

• Like 1

But yeah whatevs.

This is kinda true but it is still a better chance for the weaker team to win them. Chelsea in the 2012 final for example.

Of course.

But "lottery" suggests it's pure luck. Which obviously it isn't.

The better team is still more likely to prevail in a shootout. It does level the playing field a certain amount. But it isn't a lottery.

• Like 2

Rafa can talk. He took Mourinho's treble-winning team and turned them into a mid-table side. Failure.*

*I understand Rafa did say in Europe, but point remains.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Â