André Green

sir_gary_cahill

I never thought he was good enough for us when we came up, but I'm really surprised he isn't wanted at Wednesday, they're in Ligue 1 ffs.

He's only 23, but it seems like his career is going to end up fizzling out at Walsall or Tamworth at this rate.

• Like 1

I thought he was at least good enough for the Championship. 

Mind you, as a young lad in Bratislava, he'll be filling his boots. 

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Just not going to happen for him.

So,so sad for this kid....I thought he was going to be the bees knees....just shows we can get it wrong.

Like Keinan, I always wanted it to happen for him.

Just re reading some of the positivity in this thread, particularly around the summer months of 2017. There’s the sense in some quarters that he was going to surpass Grealish.

Not to have a dig at those who held that view, I believe I thought similar at the time. Just kinda sad the way it’s gone. Injuries played their part.

Fair’s fair though, some were on the money in their opinion that they just weren’t seeing it with him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Just re reading some of the positivity in this thread, particularly around the summer months of 2017. There’s the sense in some quarters that he was going to surpass Grealish.

Not to have a dig at those who held that view, I believe I thought similar at the time. Just kinda sad the way it’s gone. Injuries played their part.

Fair’s fair though, some were on the money in their opinion that they just weren’t seeing it with him.

I like to think, I can spot a player....but I got Andre Wrong, I was so sure, he would make it.

I feel particularly sad for him.

• Like 2

There was am stage at during the second half of the 16/17 season that he was being picked ahead of JG, careers have gone in a different direction since. His biggest problems have been hamstrings and confidence. I always liked him so hopefully he makes the most of it out there, they are a big club in their own right and it might be a better career move rather than trudging around league 1/struggling championship clubs.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I like to think, I can spot a player....but I got Andre Wrong, I was so sure, he would make it.

I think he plays for Shanghai. 

• Haha 2

Why are people acting like him moving from League One side Sheffield Wednesday to Slovan Bratislava is some sort of tragic news. He's gone from a third division team to a top flight team that's playing Europe. Also he was starting games for Wednesday, so I think him being allowed to leave is probably more to do with them wanting to get him off the wage bill rather than not being good enough for dem.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

20 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think he plays for Shanghai. 

Andre Wong

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Why are people acting like him moving from League One side Sheffield Wednesday to Slovan Bratislava is some sort of tragic news. He's gone from a third division team to a top flight team that's playing Europe. Also he was starting games for Wednesday, so I think him being allowed to leave is probably more to do with them wanting to get him off the wage bill rather than not being good enough for dem.

Hi Sheff Wed fan here in peace.

Really strange move this. He has started 3 games already this season, so surprised to see him move on. Particularly abroad. However, he really hasn’t done enough and we now have a number of wide players who are above him in the pecking order. So perhaps the manager received an offer and saw this as a good opportunity to move him out and reduce the number of players we have in the attacking areas.

Green really flattered to deceive. Not sure if it was a confidence thing or not. Looks like there is a player in there somewhere but never really shows it. I would have liked to have kept him on this year, he is only still 23. But his performances have been pretty below par. Which was disappointing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It actually made me wonder if that could free up room for Aaron Ramsey to go on loan to Wednesday, Moore having had past experience of loaning in his older brother Jacob Ramsey from us whilst at Doncaster.

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I always wonder why some kids make it and some don't. It cant be purely down to ability. Must be a combination of talent, attitude, aptitude, hard work and maybe a bit of luck? 

Jack said the most talented players he played with at Villa through the youth ranks were Dan Crowley and Jordan Graham. Look at how their careers have progressed. You can add Green to that list. 

It could have been Jack as well... I get the feeling he had a lot more chances at Villa than other players might have got in the same circumstances. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I always wonder why some kids make it and some don't. It cant be purely down to ability. Must be a combination of talent, attitude, aptitude, hard work and maybe a bit of luck? 

Jack said the most talented players he played with at Villa through the youth ranks were Dan Crowley and Jordan Graham. Look at how their careers have progressed. You can add Green to that list. 

It could have been Jack as well... I get the feeling he had a lot more chances at Villa than other players might have got in the same circumstances. 

It is interesting, those factors all come into it. So many just seem to be excellent (or at least able to compete with their peers) then they reach the point they’re about to break through and it just doesn’t happen. Their peers leave them behind.

He’s more of an extreme example of careers not panning out as expected, but I still occasionally think of Sonny Pike proudly wearing in his Ajax kit. He’s probably still the only 12 year old footballer whose name I was aware of.

On your last paragraph, Jack possibly had more chances to realise his potential than say, someone like Callum O’Hare, but then he would have been given those additional chances precisely because he was a much better player than O’Hare and the club knew that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It is interesting, those factors all come into it. So many just seem to be excellent (or at least able to compete with their peers) then they reach the point they’re about to break through and it just doesn’t happen. Their peers leave them behind.

He’s more of an extreme example of careers not panning out as expected, but I still occasionally think of Sonny Pike proudly wearing in his Ajax kit. He’s probably still the only 12 year old footballer whose name I was aware of.

On your last paragraph, Jack possibly had more chances to realise his potential than say, someone like Callum O’Hare, but then he would have been given those additional chances precisely because he was a much better player than O’Hare and the club knew that. 

I remember Sonny Pike. Long curly hair!

Scott Parker as well - McDonalds advert at 13

• Like 1

Good luck to him. He can't have complaints at this time with Villa, he was given a chance in the team under Smith but he wasn't good enough. The play off game at Albion I think spelt the end of his time at Villa as Smith recalled a out of form and soon to be released Adomah back in the team for the Wembley final.

He was given more of a chance than O'Hare imo.

Side note about 5 years ago I was in Bratislava and watched a game in which the crowd was no more than about 500 and they are the biggest team in Slovakia. I think they have a new stadium now but Eastern European football is of a poor quality,  as if you are any good you get sold to a western european team when you are about 19.

Further side note  Slovan Bratislavia was also managed by the  late Dr Jo, so another Villa link. 

Fun fact Bratislavia and Vienna are the 2 nearest european capitals to each other. It means nothing to me.

Edited by The Fun Factory

12 hours ago, FootballOwl said:

Hi Sheff Wed fan here in peace.

Really strange move this. He has started 3 games already this season, so surprised to see him move on. Particularly abroad. However, he really hasn’t done enough and we now have a number of wide players who are above him in the pecking order. So perhaps the manager received an offer and saw this as a good opportunity to move him out and reduce the number of players we have in the attacking areas.

Green really flattered to deceive. Not sure if it was a confidence thing or not. Looks like there is a player in there somewhere but never really shows it. I would have liked to have kept him on this year, he is only still 23. But his performances have been pretty below par. Which was disappointing. 

Sadly, only too reminiscent of our comments.

Â