André Green

sir_gary_cahill

6 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Albrighton was a fairly well established PL player. Green cannot get a regular game in the Championship. Would be very surprised if he ever plays regularly above league 1. Anyway, I think it is right to let him go and I hope he proves me wrong. He definitely has a great attitude.

It was true at Preston but Alex Neil seems to have a strange formula for new signings which means it takes months for them even to get a start. They signed Tom Bayliss for over a million for Coventry in August and I'm pretty sure he's still to start a championship game for them and rarely makes the bench.

He's done better at Charlton, already scored a couple of goals and starting every game and will probably be seen as key player for them if Lyle Taylor dosen't change his mind over not wanting to play in the run in.

Hard to believe he's younger than O'Hare. Probably shows how well he did to break through in early 2017 when he was just 18.

13 hours ago, tinker said:

Davies being a great prospect takes nothing away from Green.

Green......looking back at Albrighton's villa career, a great loss and big mistake from us, and i see similar circumstances unfolding. Work ethic goes along way in football, far further than flair in 99.9% of players .

Thats a very brave final line on here.....but absolutely spot on. i am reluctant to say one or the other, you need both.....Talent and Industry.

Jack Grealish is a perfect example, before our very eyes......always had the ability, from a young age.....but only when he added the steel and ability to stay up and stay on the ball, did he become the player we all now know.

He was worked on.....They dedicated the training to focus on his strength and resillience.

He is now the player ready for the Premier League.

We should all be aware of that example....when we attempt to appraise some of our other players......Luiz needs a similar programme.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It was true at Preston but Alex Neil seems to have a strange formula for new signings which means it takes months for them even to get a start. They signed Tom Bayliss for over a million for Coventry in August and I'm pretty sure he's still to start a championship game for them and rarely makes the bench.

He's done better at Charlton, already scored a couple of goals and starting every game and will probably be seen as key player for them if Lyle Taylor dosen't change his mind over not wanting to play in the run in.

Hard to believe he's younger than O'Hare. Probably shows how well he did to break through in early 2017 when he was just 18.

I think his physique, helped him a lot, in getting early game time.

A player, I always thought would make it, but I never seen him as a winger.

a bit rigid in his demeanor and lacks a swagger.....The boys expression looks like that hamstring is going to go at anytime....its a shame and i think it is playing on his mind and holding him back.

If you can't trust your body, it must be a huge burden.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

a bit rigid in his demeanor and lacks a swagger.....The boys expression looks like that hamstring is going to go at anytime....its a shame and i think it is playing on his mind and holding him back.

Hit the nail on the head TRO, this could be a major reason why he hasn’t progressed as much as we hoped he would.

I don't think we've got anything to lose by offering Green a contract, even if it's just to loan him out next season, at the right club he will play well enough and be enough of a goal threat that we will either receive a decent fee for him, or if it goes even better than that good enough that we can consider him for our team. If we're relegated he'd be a good squad player, especially if true that El Ghazi wants to leave in the event of relegation, wouldn't suprise me if Trezeguet left as well.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't think we've got anything to lose by offering Green a contract, even if it's just to loan him out next season, at the right club he will play well enough and be enough of a goal threat that we will either receive a decent fee for him, or if it goes even better than that good enough that we can consider him for our team. If we're relegated he'd be a good squad player, especially if true that El Ghazi wants to leave in the event of relegation, wouldn't suprise me if Trezeguet left as well.

They are assets and if you are paying for an unusable asset, its bad business.....as tragic as his situation is.

He his taking up a place for a player the manager would normally want to use, over a season.....there can be no passengers, no nepotism.

They say you are only as strong as your bench and there is a rationale for that.....players have to be realistically pushing first teamers for that shirt.....that has to be the format.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree. He was coming on nicely at start of 17/18. Bruce was actually trusting him, he was getting in good scoring positions and generally being a threat in final third and scored that lovely goal v Norwich. Think later on in that game he tore a hamstring and we didn't see him much for the rest of the season so really lost a year of development which is always a big issue for young player.

• Like 1

If we send Green out on loan he won't be taking up a space, and I'm confident that he'd perform well enough that we'd receive a decent fee for him should we decide to sell at the end of the loan, in fact if it wasn't for the fact that he's out of contract now, he'd probablo fetch a couple of million I fancy, just because of the fact he has a knack of scoring goals, and some championship clubs would be of the mind that one good season and they could make a decent profit.

As for us if we go down, then there's no reason why he couldn't be on our bench realistically pushing for a place in the first team, in fact if he hadn't have gone on loan this season he'd probably be realistically pushing for a place in our first team this season as a premier club, which probably begs the question why send him out on loan in the first place? Probaby because we we were expecting alot more from El Ghazi, Trezeguet and Jota.

I find it strange that so many are up in arms about O'Hare potentially leaving, yet not about Green.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I’m a STH at Charlton and you’re overselling how well he’s done there. He had a couple decent performances and then has been completely useless since then. He was getting absolutely bollocked from the stands in our last home match. He spent half the time diving and is remarkably soft for how big he actually is. 

The only way he’ll be considered a key player is out of pure necessity of not having any other players to field. He isn’t in the preferred line up of any fan. Macaulay Bonne is the key player in attack with Williams and Cullen in midfield. Green is really just another one of the others making up the numbers at best in what has become a frustratingly shit attack after losing Gallagher, Leko, and now Taylor. 

Haven’t seen anything from Green to suggest he’ll ever be anywhere near good enough to play for Villa. 

15 minutes ago, tommybread said:

I’m a STH at Charlton and you’re overselling how well he’s done there. He had a couple decent performances and then has been completely useless since then. He was getting absolutely bollocked from the stands in our last home match. He spent half the time diving and is remarkably soft for how big he actually is. 

The only way he’ll be considered a key player is out of pure necessity of not having any other players to field. He isn’t in the preferred line up of any fan. Macaulay Bonne is the key player in attack with Williams and Cullen in midfield. Green is really just another one of the others making up the numbers at best in what has become a frustratingly shit attack after losing Gallagher, Leko, and now Taylor. 

Haven’t seen anything from Green to suggest he’ll ever be anywhere near good enough to play for Villa. 

Interesting.....we're good at that.

well, there you have it.

Edited by TRO

Had a look on the Charlton forum and saw these comments...

Spoiler

'Looked like a solid Championship player, think he'll do well for us'

'He was very good today. Different to Leko. Prefers to play a bit deeper and run with the ball with a bit more space infront of him. He caused them problems. Impressed with him.'

'Green is a class player that doesn't have to have his head down looking at the ball to see where it is. Therefore, he can see what's going on around him and make a pass accordingly.'

'I like Green. A more accomplished player than Leko I would say.'

'I read he might be out of contract in the summer. He's already a decent championship player and I think at 21 he'll only get better. Sign him up '

'Really doesn't seem like a 21 year old player. Looking at him play you'd think he was 25/26. I'm hopeful Villa will decide to let him go but if he has a good half season here I can't see them letting him go for nothing'

HIs goals to minutes ratio since being at Charlton is three goals every ten and a half games, which doesn't sound great but when you consider that he's playng for one of the poorer teams in the championship and on the wing, and that spread out over a season, three goals every ten games would see him finishing the season with around fifteen goals. He may well not be good enough for us but I think we need to see which division we're in next season first, I remember when people thought that Bannan, Johnson, Robinson, Stevens, Lichaj, and Clark weren't good enough for us, most of those would have improved us whilst in the championship, to be honest some of them would improve us now.

Even if we do concede it's time for him to move on, losing him and Hepburn-Murphy, O'Hare, Doyle-Hayes and Sarkic all at the same time for nothing wouldn't be good, one good season for any of them at a championship club, and suddenly you're looking at a player worth millions. Better for us to offer them a deal and then loan them out to see if we can a transfer fee for them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tommybread said:

How's Oztumer been this season? Loved watching him for two seasons at Walsall and thought he'd step up no problem to championship but dosen't seem to have made much impact at Bolton and now Charlton unless I've got that wrong aswell!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

How's Oztumer been this season? Loved watching him for two seasons at Walsall and thought he'd step up no problem to championship but dosen't seem to have made much impact at Bolton and now Charlton unless I've got that wrong aswell!

No unfortunately you’re right on that one. Looked class on his debut and early on and I still remember being blown away at this small fecker putting in a few bone crunching slide tackles. Has some clear ability on the ball but has really struggled at times to get involved and impose himself on the game. 

Not sure how Walsall play but tbf to him Charlton have played some pretty dire stuff in the latter stages of the season. It’s a lot easier for someone like Oztumer to impress when he’s got Williams or Gallagher to pass with. Not much chance when it’s 9 men behind the ball and hoofing it up to a target man. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Would you say Green really is that much worse than Trezeguet?

yes I would

and the proof would be that if both leave this summer one might sign for a team that will do well not to be relegated to the championship and the other might sign for a team in the Europa league

If Green leaves, Charlton will be doing well to get him on a permanent deal, there will be teams likely to be closer to the play-offs wanting to sign him, he scores goals and he's still relatiively young, he was highly rated a few years back, some clubs will think that it's worth signing him just on the off chance that he starts living up to that promise, because if he does they'd be able to make a big profit, especially as he'd be available on a free.

I'd wait and see what division we're in before letting him go, bearing in mind if we go down all of Grealish, Trezeguet and El Ghazi could leave and Jota will only have one year on his contract left, so he might leave as well. That's four wingers gone, and I'm sure we wouldn't want to have to replace them all, signing a couple and having Green along with Tyreik Wright, and Philogen-Bidace as back up if they're deemed ready be would okay.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, useless said:

Been offered a contract for another month, which indicates to me we want to see which division we're in next season before deciding on his future. Sensible move.

Where did you see that?

Gregg Evans reported it for the athletic, interestingly Chester and Sarkic have also had their contracts extended by a month... Looks like O'Hare, Doyle-Hayes, and Hepburn-Murphy will be leavin though...

did they have to sign the extension due to some covid agreement?, or did they agree?

seems strange that Sarkic extended his contract if he was amendment that he was leaving.

Â