Joe Lolley

MCU

21 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Would be good. I’m not so sure Grealish leaves in the summer though: thanks to this injury, there’ll be a huge disconnect between our asking price and what teams are willing to pay. 

Not wanting to turn this into a Jack thread, I’m also not 100% certain he’ll leave in the summer.

If he does leave for around the £30m mark (which I think is the point at which we’d be tempted - FFP dependent, of course), I hope we’d spread that money a bit more evenly to improve areas all over the pitch.

28 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Yeah but if we're getting £40m plus for Jack (his release clause)

No team would pay anywhere near that amount.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Maybe, but my point is £12m for Lolley will be small change once someone has paid enough to prise Jack away

But the £12m that we paid for McCormack was an even smaller proportion of the spend we made in our first season of the championship and that was an unmitigated disaster.

Not that I think Lolley would turn out like McCormack, but knowing us it would send a message to all the other clubs that “hey, dust down your mediocre players, the Villa are spending big again!”*

Look at Norwich, sold five or six of their best players over the past couple of years, bringing in over £50m. Their biggest transfer they’ve brought in during that time was just over £3m.

*again, not that consider Lolley mediocre at all, but our track record when we’re spending big normally ends up with us bringing in three poor players for every decent one.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

Â