Thomas Hitzlsperger

rjw63

The first sentence is perfectly fine and possible (though it is equally possible that they are over represented - there being no actual, concrete figures to call upon); the second is stupid, verging upon the objectionable.

I don't believe it is "equally possible that they are over represented" - that is, more than 6% of professional footballers are gay.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that. It is very likely that much less than 6% professional footballers are gay.

One of the good reasons not to believe that is because there are professions where gay men exceed 6% and football is nothing like those professions.

I don't believe it is objectionable to state the obvious that the number of gay men in the stereotypically gay professions - hairdressing, fashion design - will be more than 6 per 100.

Competitive sports? It's nothing like hairdressing or fashion design.

There will be fewer gay men because gay men on average do not like them as much. I'm not saying gay men don't exist in these sports or can't like them because they're gay. I'm not saying a man who likes hairdressing or fashion is gay. Absolutely not.

I'm saying that sexuality has an influence over ones life interests and life choices and for gay men this  means not usually playing professional football, golf, rugby or joining the army. Yes, there are always exceptions and they should be well treated.

However, I'll make the prediction that despite this high-profile ex-player coming out he won't be a catalyst that will reveal a hitherto unknown large population of gay men in Premier League football teams, because they don't exist.

Fair play to him. Maybe now the next guy will have to courage to come out before he retires.

Justin Fashanu did, a long time ago. Wasn't happy with the reception that announcement got. I'm not sure if we know the reason why he took his own life but he may have considered coming out a mistake.

Your average football fan is the same one who will probably sit in his armchair and laugh at Graham Norton's Eurovision gags and might credit Elton John with musical ability etc. Why should he act different next to a football pitch?

Maybe it's more the misconception all gay men can't play football - i.e. are all floppy-wristed dandies - than homophobia over their sexuality (if it was the latter they wouldn't enjoy out gay entertainers).

Maybe if there were a few examples of highly-skilled gay football super-stars of Ronaldo and Neymar calibre the average fan would not think gay men are only good at entertainment.

I don't think Thomas Hitzlsperger got to quite that level though.

Seriously?

You can hold whatever opinion you care to but don't have the temerity to put it forward as something based on actual figures, actual research, actual facts or anything more than you sticking your finger up your own arsehole and pulling out shit.

• Like 2

I don't think that's a good way to engage someone in debate. I've put forward a reasoned argument. You are asserting its wrong without engaging with it at all, then flame me.

A 'reasoned argument' by fiddling your way through this thing with shit maths, guesswork 'statistics' and so on?

If you don't realize that the way in which you addressed this subject from the start is piss poor then I doubt anyone can help you.

Edited.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Wasn't hitz around the same time as Postma

He had a girlfriend when he was at villa. Possibly not gay when he played for us ?

Ah, yes, I see what you are saying. The old nature/nurture debate. I think we are approaching scientific proof that playing for Everton can turn you gay.

• Like 1

Of course I'm not trying to "out" players. I was highlighting your comment that dressing rooms would be too professional to care if players were gay.

You can't think of any childish or inappropriate antics to suggest not all players are forward-thinking liberals?

Ashley Cole, John Terry, Balotelli, Di Canio, and whoever put the pig's head in Kenwyne Jones' locker all say "Hi".

Â