Thomas Hitzlsperger

rjw63

I just dont get why anyone would be bothered about who he likes/sleeps with.

because it is good for the gay lobby.

Lots of tweets about him being 'brave' and 'courageous'. I am heterosexual, does that mean that I am 'brave' and 'courageous'?

Thomas is a nice guy, an average footballer who became a cult figure at the Villa. He was a nice guy before we knew he was gay, and he is still a nice guy.

But as a news item, it is only trumped up by the overly politically correct media.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3LmedsXlps

(ignore the Michael Kamen orchestration...)

Lots of tweets about him being 'brave' and 'courageous'. I am heterosexual, does that mean that I am 'brave' and 'courageous'?

Thomas is a nice guy, an average footballer who became a cult figure at the Villa. He was a nice guy before we knew he was gay, and he is still a nice guy.

But as a news item, it is only trumped up by the overly politically correct media.

I think you've spectacularly missed the point.

• Like 1

Fair play to him for saying it but, for me personally, shouldn't a gay man or woman say this to the people with whom they share a changing room? I mean, if I was to walk into a changing room full of women they'd either rape me or call the police. I'm no George Clooney so the latter would probably be on the cards. So, shouldn't a woman who will look at another woman in a way of finding her attractive, also be forbidden from being in the same room? The same going for men!

Maybe I'm politically incorrect for saying that, and apologies to anyone who might be offended by that, but surely there is some truth in my pov?

wut

I don't see how that can be so offensive. I mean, I understand it because it is that way and people react to it, but if you look at what he said it was just a creative way of expressing what gays ACTUALLY do. Hammering butts ;) It's like certain people doesn't think it's right to call a black person, black. "no, don't call him black, call him culturally enriched", like black is something to be ashamed of? If we have a color we call black and someones face has that same color, it would be unnatural to not use that word to f.ex seperate that man from another. In the same mould, a gay man has and/or desire sex with men. Why is it then wrong to state that that is the case?

You can not compare those two terms at all though. Calling someone "black" is not the same at all as calling someone "Der Butthammer". One is an acceptable term to describe someone's ethnicity, the other is a derogatory term to describe someone's sexuality. To say that it's ok because "it's what gays do", is a very silly view to take in my opinion. To assume that he engages in anal intercourse, just because he's admitted to being a homosexual is just ignorant.

I understand what you're saying, but do not completely agree with you ;)

Let's turn it around... let's say this story was about Hitz going Tiger Woods on lots of women and someone called him "der pus*yhammer" etc, would you then respond:

"...that's a derogatory term to describe someone's sexuality. To say that it's ok because "it's what heterosexuals do", is a very silly view to take in my opinion. To assume that he engages in vaginal intercourse, just because he's admitted to being a sex addict is just ignorant."

If yes, fair enough. If no:

I feel like the problem is that we make homosexuality into something special, when it isn't. Just like heterosexuality isn't. It's just different sexual orientation. If we are to accept it, it should not get treated any different than what it is. Meaning, something that happens before birth and is not a matter of choice. It shouldn't matter. Like skin color, haircolor, height etc. But somewhere along the way we have decided that it's ok to joke about X, but not Y. Haircolor, but not race. Height, but not sexual orientation etc. When none of these things should make a difference in judging a persons character, because they aren't a part of a person character at all. It's labels, "he is a gay man", "he is a black man", might as well say "he is man with DNA". 

If, and notice the IF, it's "OK" to make sexual jokes, then why not homosexual jokes? What makes the homosexual version cruel if the heterosexual version/counterpart is funny? Homosexuality shouldn't be anything to be ashamed of, it becomes that because it is not treated as something normal.

I see the point you're making, and I think that you probably had good intentions. I think you're right in saying that in an ideal world, the humour / kudos should work both ways. That said we don't live in an ideal world, and the negative connotations that is associated to 'gay jokes' is not present in heterosexual humour (if such a thing exists?). Bigots and homophobes (again I don't think for a moment you are a bigot or homophobic) use such terms in order to demonise, exclude, and ridicule people based on their sexual orientation. On that basis I don't think it's appropriate language to use in this context. 

Although I do also see the purpose of him doing this as a means to 'help' other gay men within sport, I also agree with TheTrees - it isn't anybodies business who he sleeps with. He has obviously made this public announcement with positive means, but I personally don't think it is a groundbreaking news story and I certainly don't think it is right for activists and such to be calling for or trying to force other gay men within the sport to 'come out'. 

Well done for Thomas and I hope whatever positive reaction he had hoped for, happens. 

Edited by samjp26

Der Butthammer.

Slow clap for gay jokes already. Very supportive and not the least bit offensive and immature.

:crylaugh:  Oh no, the butthurt is strong in this one.

But seriously, have a :clap:  yourself for being so right on. It must be great up there. Me? I'll laugh at whatever the **** I want, thanks.

I don't want to sound hypocritical, I'm sure a lot of people say inappropriate things to their friends to make them laugh and I'm not going to automatically assume that you're homophobic because you made one comment (maybe you are, I don't know?).  However, you can't make that post on a public forum and not expect someone to pull you up on it? 

You can make fun of homosexuality and homosexuals without being homophobic, but talking of  'butthammer' and 'butthurt' in this context is tactless.

Anway, coming out as a footballer, whether retired or not is not common place, and we know that's because being a gay footballer is a taboo. So whilst in itself being gay isn't anything to be commended, what Der Hammer is doing (whether he intends to or not) is becoming a figurehead for homosexual footballers, because of his profile.  

Fair play to him for saying it but, for me personally, shouldn't a gay man or woman say this to the people with whom they share a changing room? I mean, if I was to walk into a changing room full of women they'd either rape me or call the police. I'm no George Clooney so the latter would probably be on the cards. So, shouldn't a woman who will look at another woman in a way of finding her attractive, also be forbidden from being in the same room? The same going for men!

Maybe I'm politically incorrect for saying that, and apologies to anyone who might be offended by that, but surely there is some truth in my pov?

no no truth at all in your POV.

I mean, if I was to walk into a changing room full of women they'd either rape me or call the police. I'm no George Clooney so the latter would probably be on the cards.

Ngl not sure what you mean at all lol. If you walked into a changing room full of girls and your not george clooney then they'd probably just laugh at you and your (cocktail?) sausage and tell you where the exit is.

If your used to women raping you then we need to go for a drink sometime...

• Like 1

Have you ever walked down the street holding your partners hands being called a dirty F**king , straight, been spat at for being straight , been attacked for being straight , had a gay man say to you all you need is a good F**k & the you will be gay ? Pretty common  knowledge on here that I prefer the ladies . I have been verbally abused, spat at and attacked because I am gay. I am glad Hitz as come out its just a pity in this day & age that people are judged on who they decide to sleep with.

• Like 2

Have you ever walked down the street holding your partners hands being called a dirty F**king , straight, been spat at for being straight , been attacked for being straight , had a gay man say to you all you need is a good F**k & the you will be gay ? Pretty common  knowledge on here that I prefer the ladies . I have been verbally abused, spat at and attacked because I am gay. I am glad Hitz as come out its just a pity in this day & age that people are judged on who they decide to sleep with.

As I say, for me it is no big deal, because my view is live and let live.

Nice guy, average footballer, gay, still a nice guy. What's the story?

I accept that if a high profile professional footballer who is still playing comes out, then that is big news, but this?

The fact that the homophobia and hostility is so strong that few working male footballer dare come out, while women footballers are perfectly free to do so, proves one thing beyond doubt: men are not as free as women in this world.

It is a sad reflection on the self-deluded male ego that they are so dumb as to not only accept the narrowness of their gender role, they actually police it themselves.

They are perfectly willing to demand freedom for others on the basis of race, or for women, but they are too cowardly to demand freedom for themselves.

Where men gather together exclusively and in numbers the same sexual oppression is seen to exist, from the football grounds to prisons.

Some feminists claim that the act of penetration is an act of political dominance and when men make jeering jokes about bottoms, they are actually confirming the truth of that accusation.

It is tragic that so many men are just so dumb.

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 4

The only thing that should be news worthy about this is David Cameron tweeting pretending to have heard of Hitzelsperger. David Cameron admired him when he played for Villa? Bollocks.

Hitz, when played in the right position was a one of the stars of the team - scored some cracking goals, always gave 100% and was treated poorly by O'Leary, leading to his departure where he went on to bigger and better things. Shouldn't we be using this as an excuse to celebrate what he game to Villa rather than dwell upon the sad, cave dwelling opinions of some bigots which sadly makes things like this 'news'?

Edited by Pilchard

The fact that the homophobia and hostility is so strong that few working male footballer dare come out, while women footballers are perfectly free to do so, proves one thing beyond doubt: men are not as free as women in this world.

It is a sad reflection on the self-deluded male ego that they are so dumb as to not only accept the narrowness of their gender role, they actually police it themselves.

They are perfectly willing to demand freedom for others on the basis of race, or for women, but they are too cowardly to demand freedom for themselves.

Where men gather together exclusively and in numbers the same sexual oppression is seen to exist, from the football grounds to prisons.

Some feminists claim that the act of penetration is an act of political dominance and when men make jeering jokes about bottoms, they are actually confirming the truth of that accusation.

It is tragic that so many men are just so dumb.

Freedom.

Take a bow MakemineVanilla son, take a bow.

Â