Thomas Hitzlsperger

rjw63

Takes strength and courage to come out publically, even after you've retired. Proud of you, Hitz. Good for you. Helps pave the way for others. Be who you are! Like others, I look forward to the day when this is no longer news.

article-0-01C88BC20000044D-608_468x647.j

I am a bit surprised as I thought he had a girlfriend at Uni here in Brum at the time he played for us?

Elton John got married. Lots of gay people have heterosexual relationships.

Why? (Honest question!)

I don't know, I'm not gay.  I presume it is down to societal pressure though. 

Justin Fashanu was the first to come out and he got terrible abuse and no support from his brother and tragically he ended up killing himself, Football is still years behind the times but thankfully its nowhere near as bad as it was in the 70/80s.

They figure life will be easier if they pretend to be straight?

1. It's really unfair to the girl in the relationship.

Meh, I have gone out with girls a number of times where I didn't plan any long term future for the relationship and girls do the same. If it is a mutually beneficial relationship for a while there is nothing wrong really. 

They could also be bi...

2. Why not come out as bi then? Instead of one or the other.

It's not really that simple though is it. It is often said that sexual orientation is not a binary gay or straight choice but a spectrum with very gay at one end, very straight at the other and many people somewhere along that slide rule. If someone is still working out how they feel they might try different options before understanding themselves better. 

I am a bit surprised as I thought he had a girlfriend at Uni here in Brum at the time he played for us?

Elton John got married. Lots of gay people have heterosexual relationships.

Why? (Honest question!)

From the two examples that I know off, it is to fulfil the wish to have children (both were before this gay adoption thing)

At least one of the arrangements seemed to be with the woman's knowledge. The second one, I'm not so sure.

I don't see how that can be so offensive. I mean, I understand it because it is that way and people react to it, but if you look at what he said it was just a creative way of expressing what gays ACTUALLY do. Hammering butts ;) It's like certain people doesn't think it's right to call a black person, black. "no, don't call him black, call him culturally enriched", like black is something to be ashamed of? If we have a color we call black and someones face has that same color, it would be unnatural to not use that word to f.ex seperate that man from another. In the same mould, a gay man has and/or desire sex with men. Why is it then wrong to state that that is the case?

You can not compare those two terms at all though. Calling someone "black" is not the same at all as calling someone "Der Butthammer". One is an acceptable term to describe someone's ethnicity, the other is a derogatory term to describe someone's sexuality. To say that it's ok because "it's what gays do", is a very silly view to take in my opinion. To assume that he engages in anal intercourse, just because he's admitted to being a homosexual is just ignorant.

I understand what you're saying, but do not completely agree with you ;)

Let's turn it around... let's say this story was about Hitz going Tiger Woods on lots of women and someone called him "der pus*yhammer" etc, would you then respond:

"...that's a derogatory term to describe someone's sexuality. To say that it's ok because "it's what heterosexuals do", is a very silly view to take in my opinion. To assume that he engages in vaginal intercourse, just because he's admitted to being a sex addict is just ignorant."

If yes, fair enough. If no:

I feel like the problem is that we make homosexuality into something special, when it isn't. Just like heterosexuality isn't. It's just different sexual orientation. If we are to accept it, it should not get treated any different than what it is. Meaning, something that happens before birth and is not a matter of choice. It shouldn't matter. Like skin color, haircolor, height etc. But somewhere along the way we have decided that it's ok to joke about X, but not Y. Haircolor, but not race. Height, but not sexual orientation etc. When none of these things should make a difference in judging a persons character, because they aren't a part of a person character at all. It's labels, "he is a gay man", "he is a black man", might as well say "he is man with DNA". 

If, and notice the IF, it's "OK" to make sexual jokes, then why not homosexual jokes? What makes the homosexual version cruel if the heterosexual version/counterpart is funny? Homosexuality shouldn't be anything to be ashamed of, it becomes that because it is not treated as something normal.

Edited by K-Carlsen
  • Like 3

I just dont get why anyone would be bothered about who he likes/sleeps with.

because it is good for the gay lobby.

Lots of tweets about him being 'brave' and 'courageous'. I am heterosexual, does that mean that I am 'brave' and 'courageous'?

Thomas is a nice guy, an average footballer who became a cult figure at the Villa. He was a nice guy before we knew he was gay, and he is still a nice guy.

But as a news item, it is only trumped up by the overly politically correct media.

• Like 1

Ffs, I was hoping one day Hitz would have a child who grew up to be younger Hitzlesperger and so I could shout 'SHOOT !!! ' again and we would see a load more screamers.

Ah well suppose ill just have to continue saying it to tonev then ! ^_^

The good news for you is that gay men can, and sometimes - maybe increasingly often - do, create babies, so maybe your hopes are not entirely dashed.  :D

Fair play to him for saying it but, for me personally, shouldn't a gay man or woman say this to the people with whom they share a changing room? I mean, if I was to walk into a changing room full of women they'd either rape me or call the police. I'm no George Clooney so the latter would probably be on the cards. So, shouldn't a woman who will look at another woman in a way of finding her attractive, also be forbidden from being in the same room? The same going for men!

Maybe I'm politically incorrect for saying that, and apologies to anyone who might be offended by that, but surely there is some truth in my pov?

Â