Thomas Hitzlsperger

rjw63

It's not less acceptance that is the reason more gay footballers don't come out.  Consider that gay rugby player. Now that's a difficult sport to come out in as being gay. 

These days the team atmosphere would be "not an issue." I doubt there is much hostility in the dressing room. It's very professional.

My point is there are very few gay footballers to come out. That is why it's 2014 and we only get to hear about a gay football star once every few years.

3 in the whole Premier League is a tiny amount.

Utterly staggering that you are still posting this kind of stuff.

And your only concern about your posts in this thread was that your maths was shit? :o

• Like 4

It's a sad situation when still in 2014, that when a footballer or any sportsman or woman comes out as gay it is considered headline news.

Who decides it's headline news? I didn't. I don't think it is...probably along with a lot of other people.

It's far from a 'sad' situation.

He said in the original interview that he wants to "further the debate about homosexuality among sports professionals".

Utterly staggering that you are still posting this kind of stuff.

And your only concern about your posts in this thread was that your maths was shit? :o

I don't have first hand experience of a professional football team dressing room. Maybe I'm wrong about that?

I would stand by the idea that gay men will be under-represented in the footballing profession. If there were enough gays in football there would be levels of acceptance equivalent to the entertainment industry.

My concern is for gay football players not to be bullied by fans or team mates. You can't out gay players who don't exist, you can't stipulate a team that doesn't name at least one gay player in their squad is being homophobic..

There is some spectacular ignorance on display in this thread, really mind boggling stuff.

Stop being such a drama queen

Out of all the posts in this thread mine was the one that annoyed you enough to argue with?

You think there is no ignorance on display? It was hardly a dramatic observation. Some of the stuff being said makes me cringe in the same way as creationists denying evolution - it's just so stupid.

• Like 1

And the other 10% is gay

The highlight is clearly the attempted statistical analysis.

90% of me can't believe what I am seeing.
I think 90% of homophobes are at least 62% gay.

According to Con's maths, 12% is gay.

• Like 1

There aren't many gays playing professional sports so when one comes out it makes the news.

A far higher percentage of women who identify as "lesbian" play a professional sport than men who identify as "gay." But you don't get lots of articles about lesbian professional sportswomen.

The most common professions for gay men are hairdressing, fashion, acting, not sports.

Gay sportsmen are rare and that is the main reason why the average sports team is less forthcoming in accepting gay culture.

The sports team atmosphere usually lies on a spectrum between "gay is not an issue" and "gay hostile", rather than between "openly flamboyantly gay" and "gay hostile".

I would say that statistically a gay sportsperson is as likely as a gay accountant IMO.

Is it seemingly rare as less people are prepared to come out, rather than there being less people in the profession?

Accountancy isn't a profession known for a high proportion of gay men either.

Let's say 4% men are gay.

15% male hairdressers might be gay to about 0.5% of footballers.

That still means there's probably about 50 gay footballers in the Premier League. That's not a small number, and they shouldn't be bullied because of their sexuality, but you're never going to get to the situation of gay openness in other professions because there aren't enough gays to reach critical mass.

It's not "seemingly rare" it's because the typical gay man has different interests to the typical heterosexual. Everyone knows that.

If this is how you approach statistical analysis I'm starting to understand how you can rate Barry Bannan the way you do.

• Like 3

I don't have first hand experience of a professional football team dressing room. Maybe I'm wrong about that?

And yet you are keen to categorically state whereabouts they typically are on your imaginary gay acceptance scale?

I would stand by the idea that gay men will be under-represented in the footballing profession. If there were enough gays in football there would be levels of acceptance equivalent to the entertainment industry.

The first sentence is perfectly fine and possible (though it is equally possible that they are over represented - there being no actual, concrete figures to call upon); the second is stupid, verging upon the objectionable.

My concern is for gay football players not to be bullied by fans or team mates. You can't out gay players who don't exist, you can't stipulate a team that doesn't name at least one gay player in their squad is being homophobic..

Do you know what - I think your concern is genuine.

Nothing that you have posted has seemed to me homophobic: it has just seemed daft, finger in the air, uninformed guesswork that, worryingly, you think passes as statistical analysis of the importance/depth of homosexuality in professional football/sport.

Edit: Beyond that, you think this 'statistical analysis' ought to really mean something anyway?

Edited by snowychap

Of course its good that its in the news. Its being reported and celebrated in a positive way.

You can say "its sad that this is newsworthy" but there's a process of normalization that we (the population/football fans/people/and players) will go through. Just because one person isn't shocked or moved in the same way as another, it doesn't make it wrong to be interested in this piece of news. Everyone is different.

Fair play to him. Maybe now the next guy will have to courage to come out before he retires.

• Like 2

Â