Thomas Hitzlsperger

rjw63

I'd have to confess I haven't read all the 10 pages of reaction and comment.

Hitz is gay, well I mean this in the nicest most positive way possible, I couldn't care less.

Probably wise but it does mean you missed a superb statistical analysis of why more hairdressers than footballers are gay...

Or something...

I have actually slept with a gay guy.

Well, I say slept with, we shared a hotel room for a weekend. Twin beds. All a bit of a learning curve for me but it did cure me of a few misconceptions.

I've just seen Hitz interviewed on the BBC news, and I have to say I'm disgusted

He's lost his Brummie accent. 

Maybe they've replaced the real Hitzlsperger with a humanoid robot look-a-like. 

I've just seen Hitz interviewed on the BBC news, and I have to say I'm disgusted

What are the chances eh!

oh_god_what_have_i_done____by_rober_raik

Wow my maths is terrible. Absolutely terrible. I have been working hard today (still working now), I guess I'm tired.

0.5% of 500 is 2.5.

NOT 25.

So I'd estimate there is about 3 gay players in the Premier League. Sorry for the confusion.

At most, on the 6% figure there will be about 30, but that is very unlikely since football is not a profession that gay men typically gravitate towards.

Oh and I can't believe none of you took the gift and show me up on my stats!!

Lots of tweets about him being 'brave' and 'courageous'. I am heterosexual, does that mean that I am 'brave' and 'courageous'?

Thomas is a nice guy, an average footballer who became a cult figure at the Villa. He was a nice guy before we knew he was gay, and he is still a nice guy.

But as a news item, it is only trumped up by the overly politically correct media.

'Brave' and 'corageous' are relative (and overused words), but Hitz is 'brave' and 'courageous' because of the flak he may still stand to cop from reactionary, discriminatory football fans now that he's made his announcement.  If he goes to see any of his old clubs play, or Germany play, he now stands to get gestured at and heckled specifically about his sexuality.  It could happen in certain pubic situations outside of a football stadium, too.  You can imagine the sort of stuff, and how much of it, he may have to run the gauntlet of hearing. It could quickly wear you down.  A heterosexual ex-player is spared all of that because of how societally acceptable and unremarkable straightness is.  Hitz would've been even braver if he'd announced it while still playing, and if and when a player comes out who hasn't retired, words like brave will be used even more, because he'll be the focus of the sort of spotlight that can make you and your team-mates and manager lose focus and concentration.  It could impact on team performances and results. 

Anyway, hats off to Der Hammer and good luck to him; he was always a bit of a one trick pony (although it was a neat trick!), but as a young Villa player his bubbliness was infectious.

Edited by deck
  • Like 1

I've just seen Hitz interviewed on the BBC news, and I have to say I'm disgusted.

What odds can you give on that? Would you say 4.2% of people are droids, which makes 2% of those in public office more likely to be a droid, especially those called Anne? Edited by dodgyknees

I've just seen Hitz interviewed on the BBC news, and I have to say I'm disgusted.

What odds can you give on that? Would you say 4.2% of people are droids, which makes 2% of those in public office more likely to be a droid, especially those called Anne?

4.2%, so 12 out of 100 then? 

• Like 1

What odds can you give on that? Would you say 4.2% of people are droids, which makes 2% of those in public office more likely to be a droid, especially those called Anne?

Yep, Conmaths.

Yep, Conmaths.

Makes you go all dodgy at the knees :P

Yep, Conmaths.

I'm waiting for him to analyse me.

I hope he'll still be remembered in footballing history for his cracking long range goals rather than his sexuality, which to be honest I don't really care about either way.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

Yep, Conmaths.

I think he's just ordered the Heat Maps ;)

Yep, Conmaths.

I think he's just ordered the Heat Maps ;)

Sounds like treatment for piles, I'm guessing 62% of airline pilots suffer from these.

• Like 1

'Brave' and 'corageous' are relative (and overused words), but Hitz is 'brave' and 'courageous' because of the flak he may still stand to cop from reactionary, discriminatory football fans now that he's made his announcement.  If he goes to see any of his old clubs play, or Germany play, he now stands to get gestured at and heckled specifically about his sexuality.  It could happen in certain pubic situations outside of a football stadium, too.

Heehee, I see what you did there

Â