Lambert......the plan.....the future

Hairyhands

If we are finally accepting that experience is necessary (and potentially costly) then that's great news.

Hmmm - not so sure:-

PL: hey randy you remember that young and hungry plan that was going to save you billions

RL: Yes Paul ?

PL: It ain't working Randy - I need £20m for some experienced players....pronto.....

RL: OK Paul......remind me why I hired you and not the other guys who wanted big budgets.....?

• Like 1

Much appreciated post as always HH.

I think everything you've said was fair maybe it was too much too soon. Think we all wanted to push on from last year and optimism has faded badly to frustration at another years relegation battle.

I hope we are able to get the players in Jan to make a difference. I hope we stay up and he gets the chance to do it properly.

To rebuild with barely any money was always a brutal task

• Like 1

The thing with formals, I means forums, is you don't know if these people are genuine insiders or just pretending to be.

I think the other problem is that a thread like this becomes an informal Q & A with the poster with his comments getting taken as some sort of semi-official version of events/off the record Villa opinion rather than the poster's own (perfectly valid) opinion about things interspersed with snippets of information that the club have chosen to disseminate to some individuals (as they often have to different people over the past few seasons).

given what he has posted before regarding benteke, team selections etc i guess he is someone close to lambert. of course that brings with it a bias and posts that seek to make excuses for lamberts poor performance. (though that is pretty understandable, and i think he has provided good debate)

I agree.

On one of the areas mentioned in the opening post, I don't remember much specific talk of a 'five year plan' when Lambert took over (I'd have thought it wouldn't have gone down too well considering the disappointment of the previous 'five year plan') but rather comments about rebuilding, things taking time and quite a few comments about him being backed 'and then some'.

• Like 1

I understand people more interested in the team getting better right now but can I ask what you think of the points I've made for where the club were when he took over and the things that had to be done?

Honest and clear. Good job.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing HH. I've got a couple of questions.

1) has Lambert been given any news on if wages will increase much. The books are now balanced so for example when Ireland is officially gone will Lambert being able to use the money we were paying Ireland on new players?

2) whats gone on in terms of how we finished last season and now? Is it the managers choice to try and play less football or is Lambert himself unsure why this group of players now look unable to do the simple things on the pitch?

• Like 2

As we are averaging over 36,000 after years of watching shit and with a massively reduced wage bill (which in fairness did get out of hand) I will be very concerned if Lerner and Lambert do not agree that this side needs some quality investment asap. If this does not happen it will be groundhog day all over again.

Edited by The Fun Factory

You say "where the club was when he took over" like he's actually improved us. We've gone backwards if anything but as long as you keep saying its a rebuilding job and "5 year plan" then its all ok.

I'm supposed to feel better because we'll get some budget AM that will probably be the managers 3rd or 4th choice?

He’d make one or two around him better because of the way he plays and what he brings to the team. That wouldn’t be a loan deal but a proper signing. Wages wouldn’t be huge either. What else would he like? A signing that gives the fans a lift. This would be a loan. Someone who the fans would know already and would like. A bigger name as such. Someone to give the place a lift. This would be a loan. I know he’s already asked the owner to try and make it happen. It might just happen.

I think the permanent signing could well be Anthony Pilkington.  Would give us some width, scored 14 in 66 for Norwich, is 25 but experienced in the top flight and can play AM too.  

No idea on the loan signing though. Any thoughts?

He’d make one or two around him better because of the way he plays and what he brings to the team. That wouldn’t be a loan deal but a proper signing. Wages wouldn’t be huge either. What else would he like? A signing that gives the fans a lift. This would be a loan. Someone who the fans would know already and would like. A bigger name as such. Someone to give the place a lift. This would be a loan. I know he’s already asked the owner to try and make it happen. It might just happen.

I think the permanent signing could well be Anthony Pilkington.  Would give us some width, scored 14 in 66 for Norwich, is 25 but experienced in the top flight and can play AM too.  

Milner...

:detect:

• Like 2

If we are finally accepting that experience is necessary (and potentially costly) then that's great news.

Hmmm - not so sure:-

PL: hey randy you remember that young and hungry plan that was going to save you billions

RL: Yes Paul ?

PL: It ain't working Randy - I need £20m for some experienced players....pronto.....

RL: OK Paul......remind me why I hired you and not the other guys who wanted big budgets.....?

Perhaps the owner, an intelligent man despite many not believing so, has been "persuaded" that the remit was the incorrect one. Maybe he's finally cottoned on to the fact that balance is necessary.

Maybe they both have simultaneously.

Randy seems reasonably forgiving of his managers if nothing else (O'Neill got away with murder for a long time did he not?).

It makes sense that we will be making 2 - 3 signings each window if possible to improve the squad, does it mean though that 1 or 2 will be leaving for this to happen. The fees mentioned though on a whole do not fill me with confidence as 5m really is just an average player where in reality we need maybe 1 or 2 players who maybe cost more but would ignite the enthusiasm in the support and the other players. As we know good players and a good manager attract other good players so maybe we need a talisman signing. 

You say "where the club was when he took over" like he's actually improved us. We've gone backwards if anything but as long as you keep saying its a rebuilding job and "5 year plan" then its all ok.

I'm supposed to feel better because we'll get some budget AM that will probably be the managers 3rd or 4th choice?

Whilst the football is shit at the moment, we haven't gone backward in terms of league position and number of wins.  We've ever so slightly progressed whilst clearing the wage bill down massively.

Now we've got a base to build from, but unlikely to ever see MON-style purchases under Randy again. 

• Like 2

Milner...

:detect:

My thinking 2 but as the loan signing.