• Albrighton
    • Delph
    • Agbonlahor
    • Kozák
    • Weimann
    • Bacuna (for Luna 67)
    • Bowery (for Kozák 77)
    • Tonev (for Weimann 87)

Many of you know how critical of the home support I have been, but today they were great, good gate, and singing right until the end despite the tripe we were served up. I honestly don't know how we can get out of this mess, the alternative management options to PL aren't massively appealing, AVB failed at Spurs with £100m to spend so he's not exactly going to flourish on Randy's shoestring budget.

I also think it's pointless speculating about who might come in, Lerner won't sack Lambert, even if we lose on Saturday, most of the players are Lambert's players so how would they react if he was sacked and a new guy came in?

I think we're in for another relegation battle unfortunately, and Lambert is living in a fantasy land if he can't see that, it's not good enough for Aston Villa!

• Like 3

Many of you know how critical of the home support I have been, but today they were great, good gate, and singing right until the end despite the tripe we were served up. I honestly don't know how we can get out of this mess, the alternative management options to PL aren't massively appealing, AVB failed at Spurs with £100m to spend so he's not exactly going to flourish on Randy's shoestring budget.

I also think it's pointless speculating about who might come in, Lerner won't sack Lambert, even if we lose on Saturday, most of the players are Lambert's players so how would they react if he was sacked and a new guy came in?

I think we're in for another relegation battle unfortunately, and Lambert is living in a fantasy land if he can't see that, it's not good enough for Aston Villa!

THIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSS

First post, hi all. 

Went to the game today, first time I've ever booed my own team. I'm pretty sure we are all pretty unanimous about how we played so I won't bother going over how shambolic we were for the umpteenth time. I am very worried though, our football has been horrendous for the majority of the season, except possibly the West Brom fightback I can't remember us playing well since the first 20 against Everton. Confidence seems rock bottom, very few want the ball and even less are willing to take risks to create anything. 

I was heavily pro Lambert when he came but I have finally lost faith in him. I accept losing Okore was a big blow but every team has injuries. I'm constantly dumbfounded by certain tactical decisions; his clapping on the sideline like a performing seal and his need to defend the team in every post match interview is frustrating (I'm severely hoping he doesn't actually believe it). He has had a pretty impossible job given the absolute lack of any ambition from the owners and I wonder why he even took the job if he was made aware of this. Now I agree with the post by Wedge, no way can I see Lerner sacking Lambert, I honestly think Lambert would go down with us if that is the case. Lerner has clearly lost interest after the O'Neill romance crashed.

Whether Lambert should be sacked, I can agree with both sides but personally I'd like to see him go. Our football is worse than under Mcleish, surely the worst in the league? Victories over Southampton and Man City are proving to be flukes we feared by these performances, they are just papering over the cracks and we would be in the bottom 3 without them. I'd like to see Clarke come in, West Brom were playing great earlier in the season and although I agree this would be a short term fix to a long term problem (lack of ambition from the top), I'm honestly not sure if Lambert will keep us up. 

There were boos at the end but I'm really surprised the crowd have been so patience with him, I couldn't hear any clear 'Lambert Out' chants (Trinity Upper), losing to Swansea could be the final nail. 

Edited by JoeParker91
  • Like 3

How many people on here wanted lambert appointed? And when he was appointed were wetting themselves(me included). Things aint worked out but their is more than meets the eye. I am disapointed in lambert if truth be told but he has potential to be a very good manager. It probaly won't be at this club though. Remember southampton last year when they won and were clearly the better team like palace today. Time is running out but the fat lady aint sang yet. I'd rather lerner piss off first

Anyone was better than the previous manager, who was it again ;) But seriously PL's football is currently on par with his.

Haven't been to villa park for a while out of protest. I'm not giving Lerner my money, in a nutshell! That game was THE worst I have ever seen, utter trash. Such poor quality, at twenty minutes I suggested that we looked like a team that needs a new manager somebody turned around and looked at me with disgust! These are just a couple of reasons why I won't be wasting twenty five quid in a hurry again. Ps a friend took his lad as a birthday present, poor ki, he'll probably turn and support a proper football team in the morning, such a shame

A questions for HairyHands when you read this thread.

Lambert goes on about creativity after the game and says it's not good enough. We must get on the front foot etc... Isn't he the one setting out the tactics for the players? Is he the one who sets the tempo of the game? Isn't he the one who works with the players all pre-season on patterns of player that allow us to be creative?

Our players aren't the best, but the look clueless.  The should still be able to pass a ball to a teammate and run around and look like they know what they are doing.You can't blame this on Vlaar and Benteke being missing, because we have been like it all season. The movement is very poor, they move so slowly round the field. How is Lambert earning he wages each week on the training field. The team is getting worse each week; not better.

This sums it up for me.

As hard as it was to watch this time last year, there was always the hope that they would get better, that Lambert would turn it around and we would come good. And we did.

I expected Lambert to build on that - but we are playing exactly the same way. What, exactly, do they do at training each week? What kind of style is Lambert trying to build? Based on that game today, we ARE the worst team in the league.....

... and, even at this stage in our rebuilding, that is simply not good enough.

Things about this is, we have played similar football to this nearly all season. We got battered by Man City and Southampton and escaped with 3 points from each game. Had those games gone with the performances we would be in the bottom three now! We have a nucleus of a team - Guzan, Vlaar, Delph and Benteke. When any one or two of those are missing, we are shocking! Last season we started off poor and grew into a better team after the debacle of Christmas. This season, we started off well and have gradually faded into a worse team than last season's. I just hope we have the same finish that we mustered last season, otherwise we could be in that bottom three at the end of it.

Want to finally highlight the poor "footballing brain" of our players. Delph is one v one with Gayle and what does he do? Show him on to his right foot where he can get a shot at goal. All he had to do was shepherd him down the outside and away from danger but he couldn't do it.

Delph is no nucleus of a team unless it's a Championship standard one. At even a mediocre Premier League club he'd be a squad player at best. Non-existent passing ability that obviously played a part in our shambolic passing this season, can't shoot or score, can't tackle or defend and just lunges wildly at opponents racking up fouls. He's just this season's best player because he does have a little bit of skill to retain the ball and take it past opponents compared to the others who have zilch footballing ability whatsoever.

We were worse off last season I feel. But whatever plan that Lambert has about young and hungry players appears to be going nowhere except backwards if anything wiping out any progress that was actually made.

If HH is correct and the only business we are able to do in jan is a loan, then no half decent manager would come to us.

As for the game, they all worked there socks off imo, they are just not very good. We won't get that amount of possession again this season so the fact we couldn't muster a half decent chance is worrying. We're it trouble make no mistake.

You must be drinking if you think they worked their socks off. Either that or you don't understand the definition of the phrase. 

They did work their socks off for all of 10 or 15 mins early in the second half, played well, put Palace under pressure and created chances. The rest of the game they were just pedestrian, unmotivated, disinterested, passing the balls sideways and back devoid of any ideas as everyone was just standing or walking around and then lazily lumping the ball up the field where no one would be bothered to chase.

Â