• El Ahmadi
    • Westwood
    • Agbonlahor
    • Kozak
    • Delph
    • Lowton (On for Vlaar 45)
    • Benteke (on for Kozak 66)
    • Weimann (on for El Ahmadi 86)

Think all the calls were correct tonight. Not going to go into great detail about everything, maybe leave some points for tomorrow, but selection was right, the shape was right and the tactics were right to win this game.

Yup. Agreed. Lambert got things spot on today.

• Like 2

Very pleased with the 3 points and fair play to Lambert for getting the tactics right!

Would like to see us keep the ball more but while we're winning / not losing doesn't seem to matter so much.

Great spirit in the team and fantastic support from the away end.

• Like 1

Think all the calls were correct tonight. Not going to go into great detail about everything, maybe leave some points for tomorrow, but selection was right, the shape was right and the tactics were right to win this game.

I disagree. Villa were shit. But Villa won, and that's what matters. Lucky win. I am happy.

I think our style of play was the only way we were going to get something out of the game tonight.

When our possession stats are higher it's normally cos we're passing around in our own half. Tonight we were clinical with our use of the ball.

I agree that we invited a lot of pressure on to us, but that's also because Southampton are a good team and were naturally going to take the game to us, especially at home.

Great win and the right tactics were employed IMO.

• Like 1

Our fullbacks could've done better with stopping the crosses coming in, as those crosses or corners were the only way I saw Southampton scoring.

For all their possession and nice passing, it was the deliveries from wide that were hurting us. With Vlaar on the pitch the balls were dealt with. We looked shakier without him and conceded two.

Otherwise we were dogged and there was no plan B for the Saints when they couldn't break us down.

Classic away day against a team that's better on the ball and on paper.

Chuffed with 3 points, definitely not expected!

As I'm sure many who saw the game were, I was disappointed with the lack of possession, but I like how much more clinical that we've become in front of goal.

Chuffed for delph to finally score a goal like that, we've all known from his Leeds days that he had that in his locker!

On to Fulham....

UTV

In isolation of any other factors...its only fit and proper for all of us to enjoy this win, it was highly pleasurable, showed great character, illustrated a will to win and so many other good factors.

There was a few negatives that cannot be denied....lets talk about them another day.

ps  Think Vlaar is having a very decent season, Delph much improved, Gabby took his goal so well, didn't look like a first goal of the season player.

Edited by TRO

Can we play all our games away from home please?

Watched some of the 1st half live and now have just caught some highlights but don't have an overview of the match.

However, initial impressions are we spent almost all of the match defending and did so very well, had 3 shots on target and scored with them all! Crazy!

Great goals from Gabby and Delph and great calls from Lambert on selection and formation.

Looks like Gabby MOTM on what I've seen so far.

Seems to me like Lambert has played Southampton like a violin.

Anyone could have seen the way this game was going to go. Even their manager called it before the game, but still got suckered in.

Tactically spot on, should of had a penalty but the result counts most. We looked a different side without Vlaar the goals we conceded reflected it. Fantastic goals all round from us but special mention to Delph.

Delph1b.gif

The only thing missing from that gif is the "thunk" as it rattles the net.

• Like 1

Â