• El Ahmadi
    • Westwood
    • Agbonlahor
    • Kozak
    • Delph
    • Lowton (On for Vlaar 45)
    • Benteke (on for Kozak 66)
    • Weimann (on for El Ahmadi 86)

The point is we are direct and do create havoc for the opposition, so i'm all for going for this philosophy.

It's like Martial Arts you don't pi55 about go straight for the opponent's weakpoints ;-) Simple Direct Attack (Bruce Lee).

I dont think the game plan was followed to perfection. I think we gave them too much space and should've tried to hold on to the all better on a few occassions to calm things down. But it worfed to perfection. We won a very hard away game and we don't have to excuse ourselves. We scored 3 perfect goals that no one can take away from us and only let 2 in. It wasn't pretty to watch and I was nervous as hell through the whole game, but in the end happy as ****. And looking back at it, they didn't have that many clear cut chances to score. Most of their shots on goal were from outside the penalty area and quite easily to handle for Guzan and the rest of the defenders. But still, a little too much possession handed over, IMO. But as long as we got 3 points that's all that matters.

ClarkMOTM for me, but it could've been Delph, Gabby or Guzan. Really happy for Kozak to score. Many complained about how bad he was during the game, but most of the times I just thought that he was very isolated. And I thought Benteke looked better than he has for the last few games when he came on. He needs to feel the competition.

I have no issue with the result whatsoever, I just fine it a bit funny that O'Neill has been slated for using very similar tactics IMO.

I tend to be a bit of a defender of O'Neill, but you cannot compare the circumstances that the 2 have worked under. ONeill probably spent our entire current first team's wage budget on Habib Beye and Steve Sidwell.

Living less than a five minute walk from St Mary's Stadium, tonight has been utterly magical.

Brilliant :-D where were you sat?

I'm down here in Southampton too. Neother of you were the hero waving a villa flag out of a bedroom window at cars near the stadium were you? Made me laugh.

Quality result and night in Portsmouth sorry Southampton :D but I have to say the performance was shocking, not surprised at all we finished with 23% possession the way we invited Southampton on at the start of the match and throughout the second half after Kozak had scored, we were just hitting the ball long hoping Benteke would win a knock-out for Gabby to chase; real dire watching on freezing midweek evening.

On a positive not, I said and bet ;) we would beat a weakened Southampton side who before last night this season had taken 14 points out of a possible 18 at home and we did.

Voted Clark MOTM for his 2 crucial blocks in the first half, but probably would of ended up giving it Vlaar if he hadn't of gone of injured at h/t or Delph if he'd made more attacking runs throughout the match; his goal was on par with Lowton's from last season.

Edited by Avflife

Quality result and night in Portsmouth sorry mean Southampton :D but have to say the performance was shocking, not surprised at all we finished with 23% possession the way we invited Southampton on at the start of the match and throughout the second half after Kozak had scored, just hitting the ball long hoping Benteke would win a knock-out for Gabby to chance, real dire watching on freezing midweek evening.

On a positive not, I said and bet ;) we would beat a weakened Southampton side who before last night had taken 16 points out of a possible 18 at home this season and we did.

Voted Clark MOTM for his 2 crucial blocks in the first half, but probably would of ended up giving it Vlaar if he hadn't of gone of injured or Delph if he had made more attacking runs throughout the match; his goal is on par with Lowton's from last season.

Who were they missing through injury?

If Fonte was on the bench he can't have been that injured though surely?

Was observing him when he came on and he didn't look anything near full match fitness to me, though it was Yosihda who are shocking last night alongside the more talented and experienced Lovren.

Edited by Avflife

Living less than a five minute walk from St Mary's Stadium, tonight has been utterly magical.

Brilliant :-D where were you sat?

I'm down here in Southampton too. Neother of you were the hero waving a villa flag out of a bedroom window at cars near the stadium were you? Made me laugh.

Brilliant, but not me, I went home on the ferry. ;)

If Fonte was on the bench he can't have been that injured though surely?

He was just rotated according to Southampton fans. In retrospect a bad move as Pochettino as Yoshida was poor.

Â