• El Ahmadi
    • Westwood
    • Agbonlahor
    • Kozak
    • Delph
    • Lowton (On for Vlaar 45)
    • Benteke (on for Kozak 66)
    • Weimann (on for El Ahmadi 86)

Chuffed with three points against one of this year's real surprises - the way we're going we might turn out as one of this year's surprises... Great game all around, Vlaar is looking better and better - anyone know what happened to him? MoTM for me is Delph, but I'm also very pleased with Gabby and Baker/Clark. I thought Benteke responded well to his healthy scratch, one of these games he'll have a hattrick again and his stock will be back up to where it was last year. 

• Like 2

Amazing that we even managed to score once. How the hell did we win this game?

The same way we win against any team that tries to attack us (Arsenal, Man City, Southampton) - we get them on the counter.

So getting the job done and getting 3 points is now embarrassing? What do people actually want?

Last season we were losing game that we didn't deserve to, this season we're winning games we don't deserve to. PL set us us to play on the break which we did and it worked. He's not going to set us up against a good footballing side to play possession football.

You called it yet again HH we went in with a game plan and it worked perfectly. Plenty of ways to skin a cat and all that.

Of course we had no possession but if you were offered three gilt edged chances before the game we'd have all taken that however they came about.

Was interesting that the 3-5-2 without a doubt ended up in a 5-3-2 would be interesting to hear your thoughts on that HH !! Also the midfield was so deep we never got near winning the knock downs and midfield battle. Sometimes needs must and with Southampton pressing that was to some extent inevitable.

My only problem with the shape was how much space they got in the wide areas in the second half. Their only method of scoring seemed to be the full back pinging it to the far post and we seemed to allow them to do that time and time again without closing down. Seemed odd.

I'm not concerned about the possession because we were still a threat the whole game lets not forget we led the game 3 times and them not once, yet everyone is saying WE were lucky ! How does that work?

Also on the walk back I heard loads of Southampton fans moaning about how they don't seemed to be able to play "their game" at home and moaning about the depth of the squad. Had a smirk to myself when I heard that.

Edited by villaglint

Very concerning that a team like Southampton (as good as they are) can walk over us so easy. It was embarrassing watching it on the tele.

Its surprising that we are now only 3 points behind Southampton in the league; but actually on the pitch were a million miles behind.

The lads did fantastic to get the points; cant take it away from them; but the game just proves we are only getting further and further away from the top half of the league.

We are the new Stoke. Hold on for dear life. Hit the ball long every opportunity. Hope something comes of it.

Like I said though; great to get the three points; cant take it away from them especially when we wasn't expecting to get anything.

This

Very concerning that a team like Southampton (as good as they are) can walk over us so easy. It was embarrassing watching it on the tele.

Its surprising that we are now only 3 points behind Southampton in the league; but actually on the pitch were a million miles behind.

The lads did fantastic to get the points; cant take it away from them; but the game just proves we are only getting further and further away from the top half of the league.

We are the new Stoke. Hold on for dear life. Hit the ball long every opportunity. Hope something comes of it.

Like I said though; great to get the three points; cant take it away from them especially when we wasn't expecting to get anything.

While I do agree with this, I'm willing to put up with the footballing displays in exchange for a season away from the relegation zone. I think the main concern this season is getting to safety as soon as possible, then we can look to improve again next season. If we're still conceding 75(ish) % possession in 12 months time, then I think that would be cause for concern.

• Like 1

Great Result - Poor performance - very lucky but sometimes you need that bit of luck. On most other days we would have been soundly beaten but it went our way, long may that continue and let's hope that no one thinks that is the way to progress with tactics that clearly struggled

• Like 1

I'll take winning over great to watch any day of the week. People need to remember this is a competitive sport not a bleeding theatre show.

I was at the game and I enjoyed myself very very much thank you HH. Even came within a whisker of touching Kojak!

• Like 2

Can we play all our games away from home please?

Watched some of the 1st half live and now have just caught some highlights but don't have an overview of the match.

However, initial impressions are we spent almost all of the match defending and did so very well, had 3 shots on target and scored with them all! Crazy!

Great goals from Gabby and Delph and great calls from Lambert on selection and formation.

Looks like Gabby MOTM on what I've seen so far.

I thought Gabby took his goal brilliantly. He's come back really well from injury. Huge positive is Gabby playing well.

I hate when fans use Stoke as an example of how we play to enhance a point, first of all we are shit at set-pieces, second we don't do long throws. If we honestly tried to keep the ball and pass it around Soton, they'd have done us, so we bascially said have the ball but be very aware once we win it your in trouble, that's how the game panned out. I think a lot of positives don't get mentioned when you don't have possession of the ball, people are fixated with the Barcelona-esque football, the amount of running done and defending done by our boys was fantastic, to lose the lead twice and still come back to win takes enormous bottle, on top of that you lose your captain at half time who was by far your best player. Records will not show that Aston Villa had 22% possession, it will show we won the game.

• Like 1

I always think back to Chelsea winning the champions league. They beat barcalona in the semi final with 28% possession. Who's name is on the cup that year? That's what matters.

Despite being one of the ones who moaned a little about last night's performance, well said.

Fantastic result. Our gameplan was the only real option we had with the way Southampton play, but I didn't quite expect it to go so well!

I'm glad we seem to finally be learning the dark arts as well. We look as though we're able to win nasty if we have to, as we showed running down the last couple of minutes of injury time with a bit of handbags. It's happened against us all too often in the past, about time we got a bit streetwise.

The Southampton manager reckoned our win was a 1 in a 1000 thing.

Funny really because that's the third time we've done it in 14 games this season. It happens too frequently to just be dumb luck.

Our game clearly doesn't work if we have too much possession. When teams defend against us we don't have the technical ability to break them down. S'ton knew what was coming but still totally took the game to us with 77% possession, fortunately it allowed us to do the only thing that we do better than most other teams ….hit hard on the counter with occasional unstoppable breaks.

Â