• El Ahmadi
    • Westwood
    • Agbonlahor
    • Kozak
    • Delph
    • Lowton (On for Vlaar 45)
    • Benteke (on for Kozak 66)
    • Weimann (on for El Ahmadi 86)

I said before the game that I thought we would win, but I didn't expect us to give Southampton quite so much respect.

You can't argue with 3 points, but there is a difference between being a counter attacking team and having 8 men behind the ball at all times and not even bothering to attempt any midfield play.

• Like 1

I would be so pissed off if this happened to us.  In fact I might go and read the meltdown on the Southampton boards :)

Felt sorry for Kozak, he went mental when we scored, then got taken straight.

Felt sorry for him too. That goal meant a hell of a lot to him, then "off you come son". Shame.

Nice goal too, cross from flank for big striker to attack, ball in net. It's not rocket salad is it?

Last seasons experience has really galvanized this squad.  The mental strenght we have displayed all season is incredible.  It doesn't matter how under the cosh we are, what the score line is, or who the opponents we just keep working hard and playing for eachother, its so encouraging for me as a fan. If we could add a bit of class and creativity to what we have now we would be a tactically superior version of Villa under MON. We would still lack the squad depth to compete for the top places beyond March though!  Lambert could be building something really special here. You can have quality and still get relegated, but if you have spirit and togetherness you can beat anyone.

On to the game, goals aside we were poor.  Couldn't string a pass together, go overran down the flanks, and Kozak was absolute shite until he scored.  I think he is that type of player!  If we have a strong technical midfielder with a good passing range we would be getting results at home and generally not getting so overran in games.  Credit to southampton though, they keep the ball well, Lambert and Lallana are quality players and we were lucky that both Scheinderlin and Rameriz were both out, and they were on the back of two defeats.

None of the Villa player stood really, Delph got MOM just because he battled well, won a few free kicks and scored a pearler. Gabby ran his socks off and scored a proper pacey strikers type of goal, got no service.  I was shocked when in the 50 something minute Kozak finally won a header! I really hate this 5-3-2, but its effective for getting men behind the ball and suffocating the middle of the park!

• Like 1

I would be so pissed off if this happened to us.  In fact I might go and read the meltdown on the Southampton boards :)

Felt sorry for him too. That goal meant a hell of a lot to him, then "off you come son". Shame.

Nice goal too, cross from flank for big striker to attack, ball in net. It's not rocket salad is it?

I don't. They are a shitty litte club  delighted to be in the barclays premier league playing in a plastic identikit stadium. We are on the other hand are Aston Villa who deserve nothing but the best.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Bloody hell..........................

Chuffed that Gabby got his goal, chuffed that Kozak got another, chuffed that Delph FINALLY got the goal he deserves (our midfielders like scoring top class goals, don't they?).

There are definitely issues that need addressing. I know possession doesn't win you games but 23% against Southampton is a tad worrying, but at least we used it effectively. I don't expect us to have that low amount of possession again, and it's hard to tell whether we let them dominate on purpose, but if so, that was a little too much as the pressure was getting very worrying.

All in all though, 3 points from this game is fantastic, and it definitely takes away the disappointment from the Sunderland draw. If we'd beaten them and drawn tonight we'd have been ecstatic. 

UTV!!!

Didn't see the game but what a great result given their league position and home form this season.

Lots of people asking how, as we only had 20-odd percent possession. Isn't this what we expected? We know they have good technical players and are at home but our strengths are on the counter. We always carry a goal threat when teams come on to us, lots of us mentioned the fact Soton would do this and it worked in our favour.

I would be so pissed off if this happened to us. In fact I might go and read the meltdown on the Southampton boards :)

I think the sub was ready to be made before the goal. Don't fancy telling benteke to sit back down!

• Like 1

I don't. They are a shitty litte club  delighted to be in the barclays premier league playing in a plastic identikit stadium. We are on the other hand are Aston Villa who deserve nothing but the best.

Felt sorry for Kozak not Southampton.

How are we playing so poorly and yet still managing to get points! Not complaining, but just astonished!

Actually quite thrilling to be under the cosh and yet scoring unexpected goals. Great goal by Delph - even better goal by Agbonlahor.

And Kozak, what can you say, quite ineffective yet keeps scoring!

Defense went to pieces after Vlaar went off, we will miss him, let's hope he is not missing for too long.

We have grit rather than flair, but I do love to see us win.

Delph MOM.

Yeah, although up until that brilliantly taken goal he was pure rubbish.

MANAGER REACTION - Southampton 2-3 Aston Villa

Southampton boss Manuel Pochettino: "We were made to pay for some bad defending. They created four chances and scored three goals, whereas we created 21 chances and scored twice. We were unlucky, but we also made mistakes."

21 shots. Only 9 on target. 2 goals. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by The_Steve

I think it's clear to see that the team lack a bit of quality but the character this team shows is tremendous. How many times have we found ourselves in difficult situations this season and still kept going to get points ? Massive credit to lambert and the players.

Â