• El Ahmadi
    • Westwood
    • Agbonlahor
    • Kozak
    • Delph
    • Lowton (On for Vlaar 45)
    • Benteke (on for Kozak 66)
    • Weimann (on for El Ahmadi 86)

What a fantastic rtesult that I didn't see coming.

Southampton are very good with the ball, but I thought we did help them with giving them posession. They also had so much space around the full back area (2 goals conceded from crosses in to the box) which was a concern. 

However, we battled hard and ground out the win which is what matters! Unbeaten in 5...

A bit smash and grab but I'll take it. Obviously our weakness in possession was there for all to see but it doesn't look like improving any time soon so as long as our impressive away form holds up, you won't find me complaining. We showed great resiliance to win after being pegged back twice. Wasn't sure exactly who was the MOTM but I went for Baker who I thought was very solid.

Edited by Isa

I thought Vlaar going off at half time would cost us. Its a great win but i'm worried aout our defence if Vlaar is missing for any period of time.

Yep - quick glance at the league table - we have 9pts to play with (from the relegation zone)- until he gets fit !!!!!!!!!!!!

Not great tonight - but although we are crap, I think the message is 'take your foot of gas when playing villa at your peril'  - we can't pass, we have no width, but you'd better be at your very best - give us a glimmer and we will take it.....

• Like 3

Paul Lambert: "We were outstanding." :crylaugh:

We played to our strengths, mainly by ignoring our weakness - our ability to outplay Southampton.

If we can't outplay them then don't.  Let them play and hit them by being direct and taking our chances.

• Like 2

Delighted! Lambert made a big call and it paid off. It is strange how we get results away from home, but effective, so who cares. If only we could adjust our style of play for home games, we'd be all right then. That said, I think we have as many points now as we had after 24 games last season, a positive stat. A follow up win on Saturday would be brilliant. UTV. 

Â