• Westwood
    • Agbonlahor
    • Kozak
    • Delph
    • Lowton (On for Vlaar 45)
    • Benteke (on for Kozak 66)
    • Weimann (on for El Ahmadi 86)

Great win!

We owed Southampton after last season. Still haven't forgotten Rodriguez diving at our place for the penalty that won them the game.

3pts against Fulham and we're comfortably mid table for Christmas

Think all the calls were correct tonight. Not going to go into great detail about everything, maybe leave some points for tomorrow, but selection was right, the shape was right and the tactics were right to win this game.

Agree, I don't think we robbed Southampton either, we suffocated them, the more I think about it the more credit I want to give to PL.

yes it wasn't pretty, but we did exactly what Liverpool did to us at VP, suffocate us, stop us playing. With Vlaar still on it would have been 3-0.

Well done Lambert!

Edited by dodgyknees
  • Like 1

Fabulous result, worldly from Delph nice little undefeated run good night

Oh and what a complete and utter word removed Ray houghton is

What did red nose Ray do?

Was co-commentator on the TV tonight.

Made Trevor Francis seem like a Holte End regular  :angry:

• Like 3

Made Trevor Francis seem like a Holte End regular  :angry:

Now you've gone too far.

• Like 1

Insane!

If I didn't know the result and looked at the stats I would have not bothered to check the actual result. It really looks like Barcelona a few years ago when they were at their best against some poor bunch in La Liga. If a team has 21.9% possession, 45% passing success (when most teams have over 80% on a winning day) as well as 6-21 and 3-9 in terms of shots and shots on goal.... well that team has lost the match by 5-0. But not Aston Villa, and that's what's crazy with this team. You never know what to expect and we clearly never have possession or create momentum in games, we just get the points in our own way. Sure not knowing what to expect is pretty awful most of the times since we can easily go out at home and play miserably, but today I won't say a single thing :) Winning away to Soton, although with their negative form and multiple changes in the team, is a very, very good result. I believe they have let in two goals at home thus far, and now three from us in a single game. We had three chances and scored from all of them. Gabby after some errors in their defensive setup, Kozak after a lot of luck on the side where KEA could/should have been dispossessed and then a lovely shot from Delph who usually hit row Z with those kinds of efforts. Again, this was clearly a night destined to deliver for AVFC :)

Finally, for me, out of the relegation dogfight as we now have 9 points down to Fulham and we have some easier fixtures coming up. At 4-6 points you are never really sure, especially as we have been pretty awful in most of our games, but besides luck on our side we have also today showed that we will graft results even though we don't deserve it. This was not the first time and it won't be the last, so I am confident we will stay around 11th-13th at the end of the season and a safe distance from the others beneath us.

Chuffed to bits.

I mean, dreadfully boring to watch again but that pales into insignificance next to the three points.

We've a nice gap forming between us and the fodder, it gives us an opportunity to take the shackles off a little over Christmas and re learn the attacking game I came to love towards the end of last season. At least, thats on my list to Santa.

Good stuff.

Made Trevor Francis still seem like a rocket polisher   :angry:

Now you've gone too far.

Fixed.

• Like 1

Southampton fans on their forum are taking about "gaps int their transfer policy" and "lack of squad depth".

How quickly they forget where they were just a few years ago.

Just been reading that myself, good god. I don't think any football fans are happy nowadays. Even fans of the winners find a reason not to be happy.

Think all the calls were correct tonight. Not going to go into great detail about everything, maybe leave some points for tomorrow, but selection was right, the shape was right and the tactics were right to win this game.

I disagree. Villa were shit. But Villa won, and that's what matters. Lucky win. I am happy.

Â