What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

49 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

That would have been my preference, but you cant get a A250 manual, just 7 speed auto.

You can on their website

A 250 AMG kW 160 (HP 218)
4 Cylinder
158 g/km
41.5 mpg
6-speed manual

Well theoretically they do, but not one retailer in the UK currently has one available even just to test drive. Stockport will get one next month, which is great for someone living in SW London

Edited by zak
update

On 26 January 2016 at 20:13, chrisp65 said:

We're all stuck in our own preconceptions. I see an Audi and just presume the driver is a bit of a penis. 

I think the reality is that all 3 of these marques have cars for whatever taste. My Director has a Merc C Class that I think is horrible, he loves the fact it has stupidly hard suspension and he is only able to brake hard and accelerate hard whilst using his flappy paddle gearbox. It's noisey. It's white and matt black on the outside with red brakes! The dashboard has 'kevlar'. A drive across Cardiff is a challenge to kidneys from the stupid seats. I'm sure he meant to buy a TT and just ended up in the wrong showroom.

I've also got a C Class. Mine has wood veneer, deep pile carpets and an upgraded stereo. I've just driven from Ipswich to Cardiff, mostly on cruise control, listening to Nigel Kennedy on radio 4. I think I might be the Merc stereotype you are referring to!

I guess that must mean BMW and Audi must have cars in their range that are actually comfortable to drive long distances in and not just be 'sporty' in the commuter jams.

Been up to Leicester today and surprisingly the driving standards of other road users hasn't been bad

excluding white van man as that's a given the worse cars on the road for cockness ( lane hogging and changing lanes without indicating etc )have been Ford Focus drivers  followed by Renault drivers

True it's not the most scientific survey I've ever conducted but I can confirm that Audi and Bmw drivers were even using indicators

3 hours ago, zak said:

You can on their website

A 250 AMG kW 160 (HP 218)
4 Cylinder
158 g/km
41.5 mpg
6-speed manual

Well theoretically they do, but not one retailer in the UK currently has one available even just to test drive. Stockport will get one next month, which is great for someone living in SW London

Your right but mine was pre facelift, still on a 65 plate but unfortunately manual was not available at that time. No bother, I get to change my car every 12 months so will see next time, though might go CLA next.

If you are out for a A250, the new motorsport version is the one to have. 

13 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Your right but mine was pre facelift, still on a 65 plate but unfortunately manual was not available at that time. No bother, I get to change my car every 12 months so will see next time, though might go CLA next.

If you are out for a A250, the new motorsport version is the one to have. 

That interior of the motorsports version is not for me but thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by zak

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm sure JLR know what they are doing these days, but no more of these from today:

Defender_1984533b.jpg

I guess it'll have to be a G Wagen when I win the lottery then.

Its a sad day for sure.

JLR have kept this beast going for the last few years throwing millions and millions at it to get it to scrape through the modern day emissions and safety standards. Unfortunately the point came where it just could not be produced any more. Certainly not ended tactically or to save money. Its just not viable any more.

At 67 years, it had a very good run!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Genie said:

Its a sad day for sure.

JLR have kept this beast going for the last few years throwing millions and millions at it to get it to scrape through the modern day emissions and safety standards. Unfortunately the point came where it just could not be produced any more. Certainly not ended tactically or to save money. Its just not viable any more.

At 67 years, it had a very good run!

It was a tough old day at JLR for some today. Without the Defender and all it's previous "Series" models, there'd be no Land Rover at all, so us JLR employees and the myriad of people that support operations at Solihull have plenty to be thankful for. Nice one, Mr Wilks.

There were plenty of film crews there though, so expect to see comprehensive local news coverage tonight, there's a piece on the One Show too.

• Like 2

BBC was filming there Land Rover Defender tribute from Salford Quays, what relevance Salford has to LR is beyond me. The Defender is Solihull. I could see why Red Wharf bay could be used but why Salford?

The BBC have almost complete contempt for anything Midlands based ? 

Can't wait for the 400 year Shakespeare celebrations, from Bristol.

Rant over , what a car the defender is, watch the prices of the run out vehicles soar. 

Edited by tinker
  • Like 2

I know a few lads at Solihull who have bought Defenders recently, I think at least one has mothballed his as an investment.

About a year ago, the Privilege (employee) scheme prices were published, If I recall correctly, we could have had a 90 station wagon on the road for £20k. Shame I was broke at the time!!

Bought an 8 Series BMW today. Got an absolute steal on an 840ci that I had to take.

In a couple of days it will sit along side the F150 Roush truck and the newly acquired Maserati Quattroporte GTS that Exotic Cars in Dubai have just diddled me out of. Should get both within the next few days, all being well.

maserati_quattroporte_sport_gts_20401324

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tegis said:

A StanBalaban post in this thread never disappoints.

Thanks. Not got either yet, but will hopefully have them both later this week.

The 8 series is going to need a bit of work, but it really was cheap and something that I've wanted for many years.

With the expanding family, I bought a Range Rover Sport Autobiography a few weeks before Christmas.  Two extra seats that pop up in the boot electronically for when I've got all 4 kids with me.  It's far and away the best car I've ever owned, as everything about it is just quality. They don't half shift when they get going too.

13 hours ago, Risso said:

With the expanding family, I bought a Range Rover Sport Autobiography a few weeks before Christmas.  Two extra seats that pop up in the boot electronically for when I've got all 4 kids with me.  It's far and away the best car I've ever owned, as everything about it is just quality. They don't half shift when they get going too.

Holy Crap. I remember the days when you were happy with a Renault Megane. Nice one.

Â