What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

I'm not sure where you have formed your opinion from about nobody buying Diesel cars anymore from?

The Volkswagen emissions scandal has not yet had a negative impact on demand for diesel-engined cars in the UK, based on the latest set of figures released by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT).

UK car sales reached their highest-ever September total last month, with a total of 462,517 registrations. Diesel and petrol car sales rose by 4.1% and 12.3% compared with the same month in 2014, and alternatively fuelled vehicles (AFVs) recorded another strong month, with volumes up 21.7% on September 2014's figure.

SMMT chief executive Mike Hawes said: “It is too early to draw conclusions, but customer demand for diesel remained strong, accounting for one in two cars registered.”

Over the longer term, however, there is a sign that diesel's share of the new car market is falling. While the number of registrations of new diesels has gone up, the fuel type's share of the new car market has actually declined compared with 2014.

For the year to date, diesel accounts for 47.9% of new car registrations - but in the same nine-month period last year it held 49.8% of the market.

Autocar Story

I'm not sure where you have formed your opinion from about nobody buying Diesel cars anymore from?

The Volkswagen emissions scandal has not yet had a negative impact on demand for diesel-engined cars in the UK, based on the latest set of figures released by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT).

UK car sales reached their highest-ever September total last month, with a total of 462,517 registrations. Diesel and petrol car sales rose by 4.1% and 12.3% compared with the same month in 2014, and alternatively fuelled vehicles (AFVs) recorded another strong month, with volumes up 21.7% on September 2014's figure.

SMMT chief executive Mike Hawes said: “It is too early to draw conclusions, but customer demand for diesel remained strong, accounting for one in two cars registered.”

Over the longer term, however, there is a sign that diesel's share of the new car market is falling. While the number of registrations of new diesels has gone up, the fuel type's share of the new car market has actually declined compared with 2014.

For the year to date, diesel accounts for 47.9% of new car registrations - but in the same nine-month period last year it held 49.8% of the market.

Autocar Story

Eh? The thing you quoted even says the share has gone down. Did you even read it before posting it?

... has gone down 2% off the back of a huge diesel scandal and still makes up nearly half of all registration versus your quote of "no-one is buying diesels new anymore"...

Clearly I did read it and you are wrong.

... has gone down 2% off the back of a huge diesel scandal and still makes up nearly half of all registration versus your quote of "no-one is buying diesels new anymore"...

Clearly I did read it and you are wrong.

Sorry, but with respect, I don't think you're really thinking through what you're typing.

The article you linked is based on September's figures. The VW scandal came to the fore at the end of September, so no conclusions can be drawn from that data.

Even then, the market share of diesels is falling, and as it says, alternative fuel vehicles are massively increasing in popularity.

As I previously linked, a huge increase of car buyers are seriously considering a hybrid or EV as their next car, many major cities will have to ban diesels soon, VAG have said their future lies in EV, most manufacturers can't even hit euro 6 standards now and don't think they'll be able to by 2020, all major manufacturers are getting into alternative fuel in a big way and can't get away from diesel quick enough. All of this against an article based on data before all of this came out and I'm wrong? Wrong about what?

We'll see what it's like in 6 months. Cars that can't drive into cities won't be worth a lot.

You still haven't explained how hybrids are generally shit for most use cases. I'm intrigued by that one.

was it BOF that had an annual rat car for a boys outing?

there is a thread somewhere where you could go ask him :P

but as he is currently in Canada I'll save you the wait for a reply and confirm that indeed he does / did 

You're both right.

The statement of "nobody is buying diesels anymore" is bollocks, quite frankly. Although that's not quite what was said.

But millions and millions of people are buying diesels.

However, darren is right in that the trend is downwards and that will probably continue. But it's going to be years and years until diesels die out. Anybody buying a diesel car now isn't going to be significantly affected.

Edited by Stevo985

Autocar Story

Eh? The thing you quoted even says the share has gone down. Did you even read it before posting it?

the only thing I would say is that Disiel sales have had a trend of dropping in September before bouncing back ( they also dropped quite dramatically in March 2015 as well and I don't think that can be pinned on VW. )

but in the latest drop you can also see quite a significant spike in petrol car sales which weren't evident in other instances

New car registrations data - a proxy for car sales - from the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) for September show that diesel’s market share was 45.9pc, a drop of 3 percentage points on the previous month and 2 percentage points on the same point a year ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/11913856/Diesel-takes-a-knock-but-new-car-sales-accelerate.html

Edited by tonyh29

You're both right.

The statement of "nobody is buying diesels anymore" is bollocks, quite frankly. Although that's not quite what was said.

However, darren is right in that the trend is downwards and that will probably continue. But it's going to be years and years until diesels die out. Anybody buying a diesel car now isn't going to be significantly affected.

Seriously?

Me saying nobody is buying buying diesels anymore isn't to be taken literally. Lots of things that people say aren't to be taken literally. Generally, context guides us. 

Like you saying it's bollocks. I'm taking that literally and saying you're incorrect. It couldn't be bollocks, because bollocks refers to male parts, and these are words on a computer screen.

How about 'there's a discernible shift away from diesel to alternative fuels, in both attitudes and sales'? Does that pass the bollocks-o-meter?

If you could just ensure you don't make any non-literal statements in future, that'd great. Otherwise I could take it completely wrong.

You're both right.

Seriously?

Me saying nobody is buying buying diesels anymore isn't to be taken literally. Lots of things that people say aren't to be taken literally. Generally, context guides us. 

Like you saying it's bollocks. I'm taking that literally and saying you're incorrect. It couldn't be bollocks, because bollocks refers to male parts, and these are words on a computer screen.

How about 'there's a discernible shift away from diesel to alternative fuels, in both attitudes and sales'? Does that pass the bollocks-o-meter?

If you could just ensure you don't make any non-literal statements in future, that'd great. Otherwise I could take it completely wrong.

Did you miss the part where I said "that's not quite what was said". I was referring to the fact that you didn't actually say that. You said something like "is anybody buying diesels anymore?"
So I was already acknowledging that you didn't say that phrase.

I then went on to say that what you actually meant was correct. My post was pretty much on your side.

The point I was trying to make was that what you MEANT was actually correct. The trend is downwards for diesels, even if I think you might be jumping the gun a bit as they're still going to be big sellers for a long time.

Whereas Genie was taking what you'd said a bit too literally, as millions and millions of people still buy diesels, and will do for years.

So, as I said, you're both right in a way. The trend is downwards, but if Genie thought you meant that NOBODY buys diesels anymore then he's also right, as that statement isn't correct at all. 

Cheers for the patronising response though. Very well written. You came across as a right dick :thumb:

Edited by Stevo985

Cheers for the patronising response though. Very well written. You came across as a right dick :thumb:

Hey, you started it.

I tried to ensure nothing could be misconstrued so thank you.

I don't understand, my name's not Richard.

Please take this in the spirit it's written in. I didn't think I still needed to put winkys on everything.

Hey, you started it.

Please take this in the spirit it's written in. I didn't think I still needed to put winkys on everything.

Considering you have political aspirations you may want to review how you respond to perceived challenge. :thumb: 

• Like 1

Hey, you started it.

Considering you have political aspirations you may want to review how you respond to perceived challenge. :thumb: 

If he is standing as a left wing candidate then I'd say his response was spot on and the party would be proud  ......

Political aspirations?

I've apologised to Stevo. My response was a bit too far.

Â