What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Went to the Jag show room today , spent about Half an hour there with the boy looking at various cars

liked the Range Rover sport but st £98k I rather think not ... He liked the discovery sport which I guess is it's more affordable brother.... F-pace won't be in showrooms until April it seems and then around a 3 month delivery time from that

im not in a great rush so can probably wait but the discovery sport may be worth a test drive , is feel it's build was a  little bit plastic for the money involved , be interesting to see what it drugs like

rhe XE Sport looked pretty decent , I think it's too small a car for me after what I've been driving the past few years though

oh and yet again not a single salesman made any effort to talk to  me ... seems Jag still haven't improved their sales force 

Edited by tonyh29

58 minutes ago, jim said:

This beauty was delivered on Friday morning

E8B6916C-C6E1-411B-8907-8A584A90BCEC_zps

Nice, Really really wish i had stuck with BMW instead of letting the mrs talk me down the tin pot Audi route.

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Went to the Jag show room today , spent about Half an hour there with the boy looking at various cars

liked the Range Rover sport but st £98k I rather think not ... He liked the discovery sport which I guess is it's more affordable brother.... F-pace won't be in showrooms until April it seems and then around a 3 month delivery time from that

im not in a great rush so can probably wait but the discovery sport may be worth a test drive , is feel it's build was a  little bit plastic for the money involved , be interesting to see what it drugs like

rhe XE Sport looked pretty decent , I think it's too small a car for me after what I've been driving the past few years though

oh and yet again not a single salesman made any effort to talk to  me ... seems Jag still haven't improved their sales force 

As a family man you should go back and ask for a test drive in the XF-S high power Diesel sportsbrake with black pack... 

MY14_XFSB_96S_GEE-MODEL-DISPLAY-desktop-

Alive_3_XFSB_96_GEE_Device-Desktop_1366x

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I'd say the affordable brother of the RR sport is the Evoque. And The Discovery Sport is the budget version of that (I say budget, I'm talking relatively obviously)

I haven't driven one myself but I have a couple of mates who have the Disco Sport on the management scheme and they love it (and they're not bias, they'd happily slate it)

Our dealers are a bit of a joke.

14 hours ago, jim said:

This beauty was delivered on Friday morning

E8B6916C-C6E1-411B-8907-8A584A90BCEC_zps

Nice.  I still kind of think the front is a little on the unsporty/soft/unaggressive side on them.  Maybe a small face lift is in order IMO.  But apart from that!  Vehh nice.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BOF said:

Nice.  I still kind of think the front is a little on the unsporty/soft/unaggressive side on them.  Maybe a small face lift is in order IMO.  But apart from that!  Vehh nice.

I agree and they look even worse in non M sport Guise. I really wanted the M perfomance front end but couldn't quite stretch to it after adding all the other extra's. I've been surprised at how few of these are about round my way. Normally when I order a new car I see them everywhere. 

I still think beamers are the best German marque. Both my Dad and myself agree and that's after a combined 4 BMWs, 2 Mercs and 2 Audis across the pair of us. I think Audis look nicer but the overall experience of driving them and the dealer network puts BMW ahead. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Xela said:

I still think beamers are the best German marque. Both my Dad and myself agree and that's after a combined 4 BMWs, 2 Mercs and 2 Audis across the pair of us. I think Audis look nicer but the overall experience of driving them and the dealer network puts BMW ahead. 

Audi's are absolutely everywhere at the moment in every size, shape and colour. 

nah i looked at a CLA, its not really up there with the 4 series and its based on the A class so im probably wrong here but its more comparable (and is better tbf) with the 2 series, you also have to go about 3/4 of the way in to the range before you get a decent fit out from what i saw 

the 4 series IMO is the class leader still, better than the C class and the A5 is a comparatively older model now

seeing that from Dom though... can you change from a 4 series to one of these new UK mustangs? i love the look of them and im sure the top of the range mustang is cheaper than a mid range 4 series, I've got 2 years left to think about it but im tempted at the moment

20 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

gt350-feature-876-front.jpg

Cant trade my truck in, need it for work too much, but if i could, i give you the ford mustang gt350

great until you come to the first bend in the road and can't steer through it ;)

4 hours ago, BOF said:

The new Merc CLA is a gorgeous new Beemer eater.  If Merc start beating Beemer at their own game (mid-size sports car/coupe) ?!  Oh myyyy.

Checklist for when you reach 60

1) apply for bus pass

2) buy beige colour clothes

3) buy a Mercedes

22 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

3) buy a Mercedes

Yeah y'see I think that's exactly what Merc are trying to address.  It used to be Audi and Beemer vying for sporty exec status with Merc as the more mature, perhaps a little older and less adventurous alternative.  Now they want in on the sporty game.  And they have some serious engines so let's be having them :)

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Ironically, I think seeing Mercs as old men cars, is showing your age more than anything ;)

I think it's more cause my mum drives one ( and has had about 5 of them now )

The Mercedes world test track thingy at Brooklands is near me , I expressed an interest in a merc and you get to drive the car of interest around on the test track ... which basically gives you a chance to floor it , corner at high speed , do donuts on the black ice track and also skid a lot on the wet track  .. actually I'm not sure that is what you are supposed to do , but it's what I did at least :) 

the problem to a degree was that as you lose it on the black ice and steer left the car decides you are doing it wrong and over rides you and turns the car right , the drive was sorta too clinical and boring ..almost like the car has taken the fun out of driving by being too good ... great for my mum , but me I'd rather skid into a tree than have the car take away my fun  :)

We're all stuck in our own preconceptions. I see an Audi and just presume the driver is a bit of a penis. 

I think the reality is that all 3 of these marques have cars for whatever taste. My Director has a Merc C Class that I think is horrible, he loves the fact it has stupidly hard suspension and he is only able to brake hard and accelerate hard whilst using his flappy paddle gearbox. It's noisey. It's white and matt black on the outside with red brakes! The dashboard has 'kevlar'. A drive across Cardiff is a challenge to kidneys from the stupid seats. I'm sure he meant to buy a TT and just ended up in the wrong showroom.

I've also got a C Class. Mine has wood veneer, deep pile carpets and an upgraded stereo. I've just driven from Ipswich to Cardiff, mostly on cruise control, listening to Nigel Kennedy on radio 4. I think I might be the Merc stereotype you are referring to!

I guess that must mean BMW and Audi must have cars in their range that are actually comfortable to drive long distances in and not just be 'sporty' in the commuter jams.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I guess that must mean BMW and Audi must have cars in their range that are actually comfortable to drive long distances in and not just be 'sporty' in the commuter jams.

Yep, I found that out when I was browsing a year ago for an estate. The particular 5-series touring I drove was as smooth as anything I had a go at and have very comfy soft seats. Ended up with a e-class purely on the fact that it was a better deal.

Hate sporty-hard-jerky cars.

Â