What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, Tegis said:

Yep, I found that out when I was browsing a year ago for an estate. The particular 5-series touring I drove was as smooth as anything I had a go at and have very comfy soft seats. Ended up with a e-class purely on the fact that it was a better deal.

Hate sporty-hard-jerky cars.

My V60 R Design is far more comfy to me than my son's E90 320D M Sport touring, which did surprise me. Obviously the Beemer is a fantastic car to chuck around, but the Volvo does for me, even if it doesn't quite work as an estate like a trad estate car, but.........

Talking of cars more suited to the more mature type, Volvo are working hard to rid themselves of their staid old image, anyone clocked the new XC90 or the soon to be launched S90? Fine looking motors with cracking interiors, a far cry from the V70s that they are only just about to drop from their range.

13 hours ago, turnbull said:

Talking of cars more suited to the more mature type, Volvo are working hard to rid themselves of their staid old image

Current Volvo range is lovely.  I think they've long thrown off the staid image while managing to hold on to their safety reputation in the process.  Now they've got style and safety.

As for what I would call the spongy versus sporty discussion.  I'll take sporty all the time.  Most cars are 'comfortable' unless you're driving something like a Lotus Elise, which really is like a go-kart with a roof.

Tips for a first car.  Now the odds are you will probably scrape it or bounce it off a few things in its first 6 months to a year.  Don't spend much money on one and don't buy something you're afraid of i.e. afraid to park badly, afraid to scrape etc.  The amount of people I hear about, and people I know, who 'treated themselves' to a new car after passing their test, only to either write it off or do some serious damage very soon afterwards is frankly  f**king hilarious.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, BOF said:

Tips for a first car.  Now the odds are you will probably scrape it or bounce it off a few things in its first 6 months to a year.  Don't spend much money on one and don't buy something you're afraid of i.e. afraid to park badly, afraid to scrape etc.  The amount of people I hear about, and people I know, who 'treated themselves' to a new car after passing their test, only to either write it off or do some serious damage very soon afterwards is frankly  f**king hilarious.

what about if you are male rather than female , any tips for them ?

2 hours ago, Milfner said:

Anyone got a Polo here? Looking at one of them for my first car

I had one (a saloon!) for my first proper car.

I loved it.

DOn't get me wrong, it was a piece of shit. But it was mine.

volkswagen-bora-2001-navy-saloon-1-4i-nc

• Like 1

Not had a Polo, but my first car was a Golf on a D plate. Drove it into the ground and the only smack I had in it was when I switched lanes without checking my blindspot. Hit an Audi on it's front wing with the drivers side door. His damage was something like cracked alloy and a buckled wing. I had a scuff on the door.

Old VW's are great fun and quite sturdy B)

Im Looking at a new car atm, really want a Mustang and if you could actually fit real people in the back of them, id get one.

had a test drive in the Merc A class AMG which was very nice, probably a bit too pricey though and i dont think i want an automatic (with flappy panels). I dont use my car for commuting so its less of a chore so i like changing gears etc. I want to drive my car not my car drive me.

Ill probably end up getting the A 250 AMG but also looking at the BMW 1 series and Golf R.

Think a hatchback is the way forward because i want the space on the back but live on a street in London which is nearly always full with cars

2 hours ago, zak said:

Im Looking at a new car atm, really want a Mustang and if you could actually fit real people in the back of them, id get one.

had a test drive in the Merc A class AMG which was very nice, probably a bit too pricey though and i dont think i want an automatic (with flappy panels). I dont use my car for commuting so its less of a chore so i like changing gears etc. I want to drive my car not my car drive me.

Ill probably end up getting the A 250 AMG but also looking at the BMW 1 series and Golf R.

Think a hatchback is the way forward because i want the space on the back but live on a street in London which is nearly always full with cars

I have a A class A250. Very nice car but a little thirsty when used hard, which is most of the time. Never use the paddles hardly anyone does. I'll post a pic soon as I can. Diesel A220 would have been the better option, very economical.

7 hours ago, BOF said:

Current Volvo range is lovely.  I think they've long thrown off the staid image while managing to hold on to their safety reputation in the process.  Now they've got style and safety.

Edited by Genie

29 minutes ago, turnbull said:

Mine works fine. 

Wasn't the first one where the guy hadn't checked it was turned on?

I read somewhere that the dealer doing the demonstration didn't realise the model he was using wasnt equipped with the autobrake feature :crylaugh:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BOF said:

Just a minor point.  That's a Bora Stevo, based on the Golf.  Not a Polo.

OK, carry on.

Just noticed that :)

Mine was definitely a Polo, I just couldn't find a picture in the right colour so accidentally put a Bora :crylaugh: 

vw_1996_polo_saloon.jpg

There we go

12 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I have a A class A250. Very nice car but a little thirsty when used hard, which is most of the time. Never use the paddles hardly anyone does. I'll post a pic soon as I can. Diesel A220 would have been the better option, very economical.

Nice, again its not for commuting so economical isnt as much as an issue (hence Mustang). Didnt think anyone would use the panels. I think if i was going to get one, id go manual not automatic, i know it sounds a bit backwards but i enjoy changing gears (& driving in general). Do you not find it a bit too smooth and thus a bit boring for a "hot hatch" as such?

7 hours ago, zak said:

Nice, again its not for commuting so economical isnt as much as an issue (hence Mustang). Didnt think anyone would use the panels. I think if i was going to get one, id go manual not automatic, i know it sounds a bit backwards but i enjoy changing gears (& driving in general). Do you not find it a bit too smooth and thus a bit boring for a "hot hatch" as such?

That would have been my preference, but you cant get a A250 manual, just 7 speed auto.

Â