What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Give me a nice base model 505 estate. 

So big it has its own postcode.

uZrsYPX.jpg?1

Whilst on the topic of Peugeot, both the 309 GTi and 405 Mi16 are rising in value like the 205 GTi did. 

Finding a good one is another matter, however.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Or that race prepped 2CV (£6,900, MOT, roll cage)

I don't know if you have ever watched him, but there is a YouTube channel Hubnut. He has a 2CV (amongst many others) and is always going on adventures with it. Drove it from his home in Wales to Croatia and back last year and documented it over about 20 videos. Fantastic viewing and very interesting. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Ooh, I don’t know now, it was literally a very good well prepped photo of an immaculate G with £9,000 below it.

I didn’t really look at the detail, I think it was late 80’s but it stood out as all the others started at about £30k (I was on a fantasy shopping trip and trying to persuade the other half we needed a race prepped 2CV).

...just to give some perspective to the fact I was looking at G Wagons yesterday, right now it’s most likely my next car will be a Skoda or a Suzuki.

Or that race prepped 2CV (£6,900, MOT, roll cage)

Skoda making some amazing cars lately. 

The new Octavia is superb. I'm looking at a Kodiaq when my contract is over on my Rapid  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Skoda making some amazing cars lately. 

The new Octavia is superb. I'm looking at a Kodiaq when my contract is over on my Rapid  

I'm pretty sure the Superb is still a separate car.

(Groan)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Porsche Macan went back about 3 weeks ago.  End of a 3-year lease.

It was fun to drive, but also a massive pain in the arse.  Having never owned a car like that there were costs that seem obvious but I hadn't really thought about.  They chew through tyres, and replacements are £250 a corner.  A service is £650 and the dealership want to have your eyes out for everything.  Luckily I wasn't falling for that.  They wanted £95 for a replacement headlamp bulb.  I got it done at Halfords for £16, fitted.

The build quality was exceptional, but there were some minor niggles.  The LED on the climate control would often get "stuck" for a few seconds.  No impact but, relating to the reliability scores previously, it's an annoyance you don't expect on a price tag like that.  The parking sensors would often start beeping at low speed for no reason.  Maybe rain, or someone who looked a bit dodgy.  I dunno.

The other thing that was noticeable, and more so now that I've replaced it, was the lack of driver convenience that comes as standard.  Crap sat nav that costs an extra £200 a year to Vodafone Telematics if you want live traffic; Apple Car Play but not Android Auto; no heated seats or reversing camera; passenger seat is a manual 2-way adjuster (back/forward and tilt); electric tailgate open/close, but you couldn't close it from the driver seat - I could open it from there but closed it at the boot - no biggy, just odd.

The looks, the power, the braking, the cornering, the luxury - all incredible.  It was a privilege to own.  I wouldn't race to get another one, though, unless my circumstances changed dramatically and I could get a full-spec model AND keep it maintained without wincing.

• Like 1

I always eyed up a Superb after my lease is up, but the new Octavia is **** beautiful.

2020 Skoda Octavia vRS iV

But I think (and huge emphasis on the think!) if I take another 3 year lease, me and my partner will be looking at starting a family, getting a big dog etc so the Kodiaq would make more sense and it's also fantastic.

Skoda Kodiaq 2020 fiyat listesi! Survivor araba ödülü Skoda Kodiaq ...

Insane how Skoda have gone from total garbage to producing some of the nicest cars on the market.

• Like 1

Skoda are making very competitive cars, but I just think they remind me of everything else. Just like Saab snd Volvo did. They redeveloped there old models with distinct characters, like 900s or 240, and came up with totally generic stuff like 93 and S40. 

Good cars by all means, but if you want that look I'd go for another brand probably. 

I’d recommend driving a big car like that first, make sure it 1) has enough power 2) has enough brakes 3) doesn’t roll around like a ship in a storm.

I expect it’s going to be similar money as entry level Jaguar E Pace, RR Evoque, LR Discovery Sport (7 seats) which are all very nice cars. 

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’d recommend driving a big car like that first, make sure it 1) has enough power 2) has enough brakes 3) doesn’t roll around like a ship in a storm.

I expect it’s going to be similar money as entry level Jaguar E Pace, RR Evoque, LR Discovery Sport (7 seats) which are all very nice cars. 

I really like the RR Evoque so will probably look there too.

• Like 1

I had a SEAT Ateca for a couple of years. Extremely well handling and very comfortable. It's basically a rebadged Kodiaq. I've now got an Octavia VRS 245. It's pretty much the perfect all round car.

Skoda are very good. They're VAG but because VW and Audi use the latest engines before Skoda and SEAT, the engines have all of the design faults identified and rectified before Skoda get them. 

• Like 2

Just traded in my 2012 Octavia for a... wait for it....brand new Octavia. Picked it up this afternoon and have barely tried it but I think I’m going to love it for every second of the three year lease. It’s such a good car. 

• Like 1

finally took delivery this month of my Volvo XC40 after a massive delay due to covid. really worth the wait - i love it. and going to it from 16 year old civic I am amazed at all the technological gadgets and gizmos that have evolved in that time - the thing sends me a text through the app if i have forgotten to lock it and i can lock it there and then from my phone for goodness sake! (probably standard for you poshos but blew my mind!)

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I really don't... Not sure what it is but they do absolutely nothing for me 

I’m the same, they are special cars... just don’t do it for me at all, tbh I’m not a fan of German cars in general.

On 28/07/2020 at 18:58, villa4europe said:

I really don't... Not sure what it is but they do absolutely nothing for me 

I had a ride in a Cockster not long ago. I was well impressed. It was an old-ish one, but it had just what I like in sports cars, and cars generally. I've always liked 911s, but not other Porkers, but that go in a Boxster changed my opinion.

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

I had a ride in a Cockster not long ago. I was well impressed. It was an old-ish one, but it had just what I like in sports cars, and cars generally. I've always liked 911s, but not other Porkers, but that go in a Boxster changed my opinion.

I can appreciate that once you're in one the quality and technical ability of it is probably very impressive but in the looks department im struggling to see the appeal, Id take a R8 over a 911, RS5 over the Panamera, QS over the macan or Cayenne, that said what I do like on the Porsche is the full length strip break light, that's a sexy feature on a car

See the source image

Edited by villa4europe

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

in the looks department i'm struggling to see the appeal

It's in the eye of the beholder, I guess.  I like the simplicity and design around function of them, especially the older ones.Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 12.52.16.png

• Like 3

Â