What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

11 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

How much do you guys spend on your cars? 

I'm quite cheap and prefer stocks and savings over cars, but I've wondered how much people put into it. 

I live in the city centre so got no use for cars or motorcycles other than the fun aspect. I kinda wanna get myself a Ferrari 458, but it breaks all my principles. 

So by salary percentage, how much goes into your car(s)? 

I used to get a car allowance at work, £500 a month and then claim 30p a mile so that covered all of car costs, lease payment, tax, insurance, fuel... 

I started with an abarth 595 competitizione* and it worked

Then went to a 4 series BMW and it covered the lease cost but not the tax and insurance

Then I got a S4 for the same lease cost as the BMW but the running costs blew the budget put of the window, my total costs are about £700 a month plus then maybe losing £50 a month in fuel 

* cracking car, shame it was too small, would quite happily get one again in the future but they have become popular and seem to have gone expensive, the same model is £8k more than I paid 7 years ago 

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I started with an abarth 595 competitizione

First time I'd heard of these. 

Having Googled it, they look like grandma got jealous of Beryl's new car and thought **** it I'll get a garish new paint job and chuck a bit of bodywork on my Nissan Micra. 

I'm moving out of the city and am going to need to buy a car now. Probably going to get a pick up as I need a balance between being able to move stuff and not turning up to meetings in a Postman Pat van. 

I'll be setting up a business and thought I should wait a couple of months until there is some cashflow and lease something as a company vehicle. I can buy one now but it won't be urgent for a little while and I won't be setting up the company until August so it seems a bit pointless to me. 

Is there any benefit at all to buying personally rather than leasing a vehicle through the business? 

I may need to consider mileage as I'll be driving a fair bit for work and where I'm living can't get many places without getting in a car. 

5 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

First time I'd heard of these. 

Having Googled it, they look like grandma got jealous of Beryl's new car and thought **** it I'll get a garish new paint job and chuck a bit of bodywork on my Nissan Micra. 

mine was pretty much this - 

2016 Abarth 595 - Competizione 180pk , Performance Pack, Beats ...

it was ridiculously fun, im not sure even my S4 would beat it coming off a round about, it did draw out a lot of dickheads though, lots of people didn't enjoy being overtaken by it and would cut across blocking me or do something daft / dangerous around me in it

I used to buy fairly cheap (£3-4K) efficient (50mpg+) diesels as I do about 25k miles a year and try and get a couple of years out of them.

Last year treated myself to a Kuga Titanium X for just under £11k and it’s lovely. Getting about 45/46mpg on a run but very pleased with the car in general. I’ll keep it until I’m taxed out of it probably.

42 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

How much do you guys spend on your cars? 

I'm quite cheap and prefer stocks and savings over cars, but I've wondered how much people put into it. 

I live in the city centre so got no use for cars or motorcycles other than the fun aspect. I kinda wanna get myself a Ferrari 458, but it breaks all my principles. 

So by salary percentage, how much goes into your car(s)? 

Spending less and less and enjoying it.

I was happy to just always have a new mid range Golf and then one day VW seriously pissed me off.

So from there, I had a few Mercedes including a C Class Estate which might have been the best thing I ever had for motorway miles and a stereo system that was ridiculous. Drove that thing around Paris at night with the music going and it was the highlight of a holiday!

Then I had a bit of a moment and realised all cars were rubbish ways of spending money and buggering up the planet. So I went from Mercedes to a Hyundai, halving my monthly costs. Or at least I thought I’d halved them, the car payment was half yes, but a service went from £400 down to £90, a tyre went from £200 to £50 and the insurance went from £500 to £200 and the mpg went from 30 on a good day, to mid 60’s without even trying to be efficient.

Absolute revelation. And I couldn’t care less where I park it.

Next car, I’m determined will be even cheaper. Right now, I reckon it could be a small Skoda.

Can’t really do % of salary as its all a bit boom n bust. But right now, I’m bloody glad I’m not paying for servicing a big Merc..

• Like 1

I’ve not had a car on a lease or finance since I was about 20. I prefer to save up, buy it outright and that’s it. Appreciate that’s not gonna work for everyone.

My insurance and road tax are about £50 per month. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

I've gone from company car to leasing

Not knowledgeable or interested enough to go 2nd hand car shopping and not saving up enough to buy a new car outright, my experience in my early 20s of going through several shit cheap cars has put me off, I'd rather pay for exactly what I want and then give it back when I've had enough of it 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Noisy and stays on for ten minutes after the ignition key is removed. The only positive is I can locate my car in a carpark by listening. 

Pretty standard I think for some cars, especially French and German. Only usually when very hot though. 

7 hours ago, Genie said:

I used to buy fairly cheap (£3-4K) efficient (50mpg+) diesels as I do about 25k miles a year and try and get a couple of years out of them.

Last year treated myself to a Kuga Titanium X for just under £11k and it’s lovely. Getting about 45/46mpg on a run but very pleased with the car in general. I’ll keep it until I’m taxed out of it probably.

I tend to buy older cars but high spec versions of decent marques 

Currently in a 13yo Audi A3. 3.2 engine, full aftermarket ICE install and only 52k miles on the clock. Not even worn in yet. I make sure its maintained properly and in theory it should last me a long time. 

Previous car was a 11yo BMW 328 that I had for 9 years. Unfortunately a few mechanical issues led to its demise at 20yo. Had less than 90k on it when it was discarded. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

Pretty standard I think for some cars, especially French and German. Only usually when very hot though. 

Any time, I use air con in winter. Its definitely a feature. 

21 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Get an EV, all of you.

I'm still waiting for a cheapish one that's fun to drive.

The Model S and I-Pace are well out of budget, but the rumours of an electric or hybrid MX5, or an electric 208 GTI have my interest. 

• Like 1

On 08/07/2020 at 18:25, AVTuco said:

Get an EV, all of you.

Not an option for a lot of people unfortunately. Lot of people don't have driveways or they live in flats with communal parking. 

I'd consider an EV when I get a house with a driveway

• Like 2

If any of you are thinking of getting an Audi or VW or any car dealt with by VW Finance through the lease hire - DON'T. I've had a sh1t of a time with them since I gave my A3 back. They started with demands for £10, without stating what the £10 was for, but happy to ignore my requests and to threaten my 999 credit rating if I didn't pay them. Then they started with claims for £241, finally giving me 7 days to pay up after referring me to a debt collection agency all the time ignoring my emails, phone calls. Complete crooks IMO. Do a quick google and you'll see the pain from many unlucky punters. 

The £10 charge was an option to buy fee, which is obvious really considering I handed the car back. 🙄

If you get stuck in this trap, the way to go seems to be twitter. I've also requested a GDPR Subject Access Request on all data they have on file about me. If I hear nothing after 30 days I'm referring them to the Financial Ombudsman, which will hit them with a £500 bill straight away.

Sorry everybody for ranting, these guys have really stressed me out over the past few years! If I can save one person from this then I'll be happy.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Not an option for a lot of people unfortunately. Lot of people don't have driveways or they live in flats with communal parking. 

I'd consider an EV when I get a house with a driveway

True. Without home charging option I wouldn't get one.

Â