• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Yep, get an old Hi-Lux or Landcruiser. 

It its good enough for the Taliban and Al-Qaeda then it should be fine for you 

Never thought 4x4 reliability would be rated from “Jeep” to “al-Qaeda”

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Spoony said:

Never thought 4x4 reliability would be rated from “Jeep” to “al-Qaeda”

You'll probably recall that the vast majority of taxis in Dubai are Toyota Camrys, and I've seen a good few with 700+ Kms on the clock.

Toyota Land Cruiser, Prado or Fortuner will be super reliable.

If you get a HiLux you will be classed as a terrorist, lose your citizenship at the whim of Priti Patel meaning your estate will no longer be subject to UK inheritance tax. Toyota really have got you covered.

• Like 3

There was a G Wagon for sale the other day, it looked immaculate but it was £9,000.

I couldn’t help thinking it was either a money pit of hidden problems, or would be stolen at gunpoint within 48 hours.

34 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

You'll probably recall that the vast majority of taxis in Dubai are Toyota Camrys, and I've seen a good few with 700+ Kms on the clock.

Toyota Land Cruiser, Prado or Fortuner will be super reliable.

If you get a HiLux you will be classed as a terrorist, lose your citizenship at the whim of Priti Patel meaning your estate will no longer be subject to UK inheritance tax. Toyota really have got you covered.

I know Dubai is quite small and hot but still, I’d expect cars to survive for more than 700km

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

I know Dubai is quite small and hot but still, I’d expect cars to survive for more than 700km

Oops, 700,000 Kms 😄.

Although Peugeot still aspire to crack the 700km reliability benchmark.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There was a G Wagon for sale the other day, it looked immaculate but it was £9,000.

I couldn’t help thinking it was either a money pit of hidden problems, or would be stolen at gunpoint within 48 hours.

What year and model was it?

Ooh, I don’t know now, it was literally a very good well prepped photo of an immaculate G with £9,000 below it.

I didn’t really look at the detail, I think it was late 80’s but it stood out as all the others started at about £30k (I was on a fantasy shopping trip and trying to persuade the other half we needed a race prepped 2CV).

...just to give some perspective to the fact I was looking at G Wagons yesterday, right now it’s most likely my next car will be a Skoda or a Suzuki.

Or that race prepped 2CV (£6,900, MOT, roll cage)

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

I purchased a new mini for Mrs Lifeboats yesterday. Not my idea of a good car but it will keep her happy.

How much profit is there in something like a mini to a main dealer?

They knocked £1800 of the list price by email just to get me into the showroom. Then they threw in £900 of extras for £250 and a few other odds and sods to get me to sign on the deal. 

Does anyone pay the normal list price?  How much could they go down before it’s not worth their while? 

6 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I purchased a new mini for Mrs Lifeboats yesterday. Not my idea of a good car but it will keep her happy.

How much profit is there in something like a mini to a main dealer?

They knocked £1800 of the list price by email just to get me into the showroom. Then they threw in £900 of extras for £250 and a few other odds and sods to get me to sign on the deal. 

Does anyone pay the normal list price?  How much could they go down before it’s not worth their while? 

I think there are any number of variables.

There’s finding a garage that needs one more sale of one more car of any value for their bonus to kick in. There’s the discount the car maker will give on certain cars to shift them, which often depends where it is in the life cycle of that car.

There’s whether they have 2 left in the country, or a field of them rotting away just outside Bristol docks.

On Friday, I was on a 40% discount on list price for one car, but others turned out literally not to exist when I tried to buy them. I think some of the manufacturers were a bit wiser this time around and stopped production rather than keep on stock piling.

Plus of course, there’s a new reg in 5 weeks time and that kicks up all sorts of weirdness.

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

Oops, 700,000 Kms 😄.

Times have changed 

Peugeot Ranked No.1 Most Reliable Car Brand

JD Power has carried out their 5th survey for brand reliability in the UK for 2019. This survey was carried out to identify the most reliable products on the market. 

This survey is based on 11,530 owners of new vehicles registered from November 2015, through to January 2018.  It measures the number of problems experienced per 100 vehicles, the lower the score the better performance. 

As you can see from the list below, several of the brands carried by Howards Motor Group perform at a high standard from the 24 reviewed. In the process, Peugeot achieved a score of 77, making this the most reliable brand in the UK... 54% more reliable than the industry standard!

3-F0-C8978-D6-DE-471-A-85-EF-BFBA7-E188-

Isn’t there sometimes some in built bias with these surveys though?

People buying a Merc or an Audi think they are buying perfection, so that 1 second buzz the dashboard gives when reversing on a cold day, that’s a problem.

Whereas Peugeot owners are super chuffed the thing got home without the lights falling out.

(Fiat would be the obvious outlier for this theory, but perhaps they’ve thrown Alfa in to their figures, Alfa where the lights do literally fall out)

Edited by chrisp65

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

Oops, 700,000 Kms 😄.

Those 70s and 80s Pug 504/505 African taxis go on forever. Fantastically durable car. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

Times have changed 

3-F0-C8978-D6-DE-471-A-85-EF-BFBA7-E188-

How the mighty fall. BMW and Mercedes were always aspirational brands. A sign of someone doing well and the quality of the vehicle matched that. 

Now they are nothing better than Ford or Vauxhall. Mid range marques chasing Mr and Mrs PCP. I'm sure their profits are higher and their shareholders happy, and thats all that matters. 

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

How the mighty fall. BMW and Mercedes were always aspirational brands. A sign of someone doing well and the quality of the vehicle matched that. 

Now they are nothing better than Ford or Vauxhall. Mid range marques chasing Mr and Mrs PCP. I'm sure their profits are higher and their shareholders happy, and thats all that matters. 

There is a bit of a flaw in this data though tbh, cars with lots of new technology like the traditional aspirational brands will generally get more faults because of the nature of the new technology. More basic cars with basic in car entertainment and old combustion engines will be more reliable than fancy hybrids and Ev’s with cutting edge ICE, comfort and safety features. Expensive car customers will also have higher expectations having parted with more money.

Having said that it’s still clearly a step in the right direction for Peugeot.

Edited by Genie

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

There is a bit of a flaw in this data though tbh, cars with lots of new technology like the traditional aspirational brands will generally get more faults because of the nature of the new technology. More basic cars with basic in car entertainment and old combustion engines will be more reliable than fancy hybrids and Ev’s with cutting edge ICE, comfort and safety features. Expensive car customers will also have higher expectations having parted with more money.

Having said that it’s still clearly a step in the right direction for Peugeot.

Very true, I guess I was commenting more on BMW's position in the marketplace. They definitely go for far more volume now than they used to. Quantity over quality in my opinion. There is nothing aspirational about them now. 

15 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

505 GTi.. wonderful car actually!

067a1590236b8cce2af2ea559330f7f7.jpg

Give me a nice base model 505 estate. 

So big it has its own postcode.

uZrsYPX.jpg?1

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

Very true, I guess I was commenting more on BMW's position in the marketplace. They definitely go for far more volume now than they used to. Quantity over quality in my opinion. There is nothing aspirational about them now. 

True, I think they sell more 3 series now than Ford do Mondeos.

Â