What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

4 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Yeah, looks a bit spaceship/sci-fi which I like. For 2006, I think the interior is quite nice. Could always put a flat screen stereo in the centre to finish it off. 

I've been having new cars every 3/4/5 years for nearly 30 years and now retired Im not doing many miles at all and have been researching best small reliable good cars In the 1.5/2k price range, Honda and Toyota are by far the best taking all that into account.

Very interesting car Wez and I'd be very interested in how you get on with this one, keep us posted please.

Covid has made me realise that having thousands£ sitting on the drive doing bugger all most of the time is just plain stupidly. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Yeah, looks a bit spaceship/sci-fi which I like. For 2006, I think the interior is quite nice. Could always put a flat screen stereo in the centre to finish it off. 

Honda_Civic_rear_20070928.jpg

ALways liked this car.

Remember when it first came out the way it looked was insane :D 

Also that interior is genuinely nice. It's nicer than the Corsa my mom bought a couple of years ago (except hers has a touch screen but that's about it)

And I have a friend who has a 5 year old Mini Cooper and it's nicer than that too

So I spoke to Audi Finance and they'll take the car back for nothing. I just need to pay the excess mileage which is fine and any damage.

There's very little damage on my car. A long scratch down the passenger side but it's very very light. And some very small dents in the passenger rear. They're so small I'd never even noticed them before. And the guy at the dealer only noticed them as he was walking away.

Anyone got any tips for removing this damage yourself? The scratch is so light I'm guessing some wax and polish will probably clear it up?
I've seen plenty of tools for fixing dents in cars (those suction cups that you pop the dents out) but these are so small I don't know if it will work on these?

Edit: The alloys are scuffed too but I know I'll have to get those done properly. That's fine, even if they cost £500 (which I think is steep) it will still be well worth it

Edited by Stevo985

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

So I spoke to Audi Finance and they'll take the car back for nothing. I just need to pay the excess mileage which is fine and any damage.

There's very little damage on my car. A long scratch down the passenger side but it's very very light. And some very small dents in the passenger rear. They're so small I'd never even noticed them before. And the guy at the dealer only noticed them as he was walking away.

Anyone got any tips for removing this damage yourself? The scratch is so light I'm guessing some wax and polish will probably clear it up?
I've seen plenty of tools for fixing dents in cars (those suction cups that you pop the dents out) but these are so small I don't know if it will work on these?

Edit: The alloys are scuffed too but I know I'll have to get those done properly. That's fine, even if they cost £500 (which I think is steep) it will still be well worth it

How scuffed are the alloys? I had a slight scuff on one and they said it would be £35+VAT to fix. If its a light scratch, you could probably polish it out with a bit of turtle wax.

Edited by bielesibub

If it's a very light scratch (the best test, does it catch if you run your fingernail over it?), a light rub with some polishing compound certainly ought to do the job (Turtle Wax do a few as @bielesibub says, but don't use actual wax :D. There's a whole wealth of videos and guides for removing clearcoat scratches, so do a bit of research before you get started. Use a microfibre cloth, and remember it's better to take your time, apply very little polish + pressure and potentially have to do it a few times rather than do too much in one go.

I've had some luck with the hot + cold method for dents. Heating the panel with hot water then freezing water, and the contraction can pop it out. Doesn't work all the time but it's an easy and low risk method to try. Suction cups won't work if the dents are smaller than the cup, so the only other real option is seeing how easy it is to get behind the panel to push the dent out. 

Edited by Davkaus

1 hour ago, bielesibub said:

How scuffed are the alloys? I had a slight scuff on one and they said it would be £35+VAT to fix. If its a light scratch, you could probably polish it out with a bit of turtle wax.

They’re not huge marks but I think they’re too deep to polish out. Think I’m gonna take them to a proper wheel place and get a quote

57 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If it's a very light scratch (the best test, does it catch if you run your fingernail over it?), a light rub with some polishing compound certainly ought to do the job (Turtle Wax do a few as @bielesibub says, but don't use actual wax :D. There's a whole wealth of videos and guides for removing clearcoat scratches, so do a bit of research before you get started. Use a microfibre cloth, and remember it's better to take your time, apply very little polish + pressure and potentially have to do it a few times rather than do too much in one go.

I've had some luck with the hot + cold method for dents. Heating the panel with hot water then freezing water, and the contraction can pop it out. Doesn't work all the time but it's an easy and low risk method to try. Suction cups won't work if the dents are smaller than the cup, so the only other real option is seeing how easy it is to get behind the panel to push the dent out. 

Cheers. I can just about catch the scratch with my nail but barely. It’s definitely only a clear coat scratch. Why shouldn’t I use actual wax?

The dents are seriously tiny. Like someone has tapped it with the end of a pen and left a tiny dent. Definitely can’t get behind the panel though 

If its audi and they're decent then the alloys will be laser cut, careful where you get them done, I paid £250 to a mate to do my bmw a few years back and he did a normal repair to them rather than the proper one and BMW went nuts over it threatening to charge me for this that and the other, they sent it off for investigation but in the end seemingly forgot about the whole thing because I didn't get charged for them or the other damage 

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Cheers. I can just about catch the scratch with my nail but barely. It’s definitely only a clear coat scratch. Why shouldn’t I use actual wax?

The dents are seriously tiny. Like someone has tapped it with the end of a pen and left a tiny dent. Definitely can’t get behind the panel though 

Wax is a protection layer, it won't do anything to actually repair it, you need the minor abrasion in the polish to kind of blend in the scratch. You absolutely should put wax on, but after it's been polished.

To be fair, wax could be used to temporarily fill the scratch, effectively. It'll mask it but only temporarily, which might not be a problem if you're getting rid of it anyway!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Wax is a protection layer, it won't do anything to actually repair it, you need the minor abrasion in the polish to kind of blend in the scratch. You absolutely should put wax on, but after it's been polished.

To be fair, wax could be used to temporarily fill the scratch, effectively. It'll mask it but only temporarily, which might not be a problem if you're getting rid of it anyway!

As far as I'm aware, they send a guy out from the British Car Auctions to inspect it and it's his judgement that the damage is based on. So as long as it gets past him then I'm ok.

I'm pretty sure the scratches I'll be able to get away with. It's just the alloys really but even having to get them properly done it's going to be nowhere near as expensive as the 3 grand they were quoting at the dealership

Â