What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

On 28/08/2020 at 11:12, Stevo985 said:

I'm off to Audi next week for an "account review", which I'm fully prepared to be a full on sales pitch.

I'm in the odd position of not knowing what I want. At all. Big part of me wants nothing and just to give my car back and shop around.

My first car was a gift (well a loan really). Then I really wanted a VW Golf so I got one. Then I really wanted an Audi A5 but couldn't afford it so got an A3. Then I got a new job so went for the A5. But because I'd always wanted one I now don't know what I want :D

Part of me thinks I should get something more practical and bigger, in preparation for dogs and kids (ugh). 

On 28/08/2020 at 11:17, bielesibub said:

If you've got your Audi with a deal backed by VWFS, expect to be royally bummed by them if you want to hand your car back. I've had a stink of a time since handing back my A3 in Feb, another mate of mine is having the same problem.

I was 3 grand in defecit :D Not really sure why. I have done extra miles but only a few thousand. It really is a ballache

Anyway, got talked into a Q5. New but one they had in stock so they were desperate to sell it I think but ended up with a pretty good deal.

Buyer's remorse all over the place, but I think I'm happy enough

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I’m basically a wag

I'll expect to see you downing prosecco like water and cackling away in The Green House in the near future! 

• Like 1

On 28/08/2020 at 14:47, bobzy said:

Heard good things about Qashqai's a couple of years back, so bought an 18 plate (one of those, "it's done 20 miles so there's £5k knocked off the price" jobs).  Read some reviews since that has said their reliability is basically awful... never had a problem, apart from needing the battery replaced once.  Something about a faulty batch from a supplier?  The car has actually been ace - really nice to drive.

ANYWAY...

We've now got two kids and looking for something a bit bigger - not ridiculous, but a bit bigger.  Was thinking maybe an XC60.

Any thoughts plz?

I recently bought a 2016 CX-5 which struck the balance for me of loads of room in the back and the boot (my kids are 2 and 5 so it's all pushchairs and little bikes right now), plenty of driver convenience tech including Bose sound system, a fairly nippy 2.2 engine and great fuel economy (we drove round trips from Stockport to Coventry, Stockport to Kidderminster and Kidderminster to Cleobury Mortimer for £60).

I'm really happy with it, despite coming out of a 2017 Porsche Macan for it.  It's far cheaper monthly (about £200 a month on finance), cheaper to run, and cheaper to insure.  Cost was a big factor in pandemic-era Britain!

I bought it from a dealership in Aberdeen having seen it online.  They delivered it in about 10 days, tidied up any scratches etc (that they had pointed out on the video viewing) and I got them to throw in a 12-month nationwide warranty.

I'd have loved to have got a brand new one, but really wanted to save money so the 2016 model made sense.  It has an interior upgrade despite the same body-shape as the older cars, but 2017 onwards was a redesign so is more expensive.  I'm taking it in this week to get a new satnav console put in with Android Auto etc and more powerful USB ports.  That'll cost me about £350.

You can grab a SportNav model with 30-40k on the clock for about £14k.  Only thing I'd change is that I picked the manual model because it's a tad quicker, but in hindsight I'd have gone automatic for the convenience.

15 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I was 3 grand in defecit :D Not really sure why. I have done extra miles but only a few thousand. It really is a ballache

Anyway, got talked into a Q5. New but one they had in stock so they were desperate to sell it I think but ended up with a pretty good deal.

Buyer's remorse all over the place, but I think I'm happy enough

VWFS will try to bone you. I had a full refund on my 'handback' charge based on the fact that they couldn't see any of the apparent damage, even though I never had an issue with the damages! They skillfully avoided my actual issue(s), once I've had my refund I'll go back and see what they say.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

You can grab a SportNav model with 30-40k on the clock for about £14k.  Only thing I'd change is that I picked the manual model because it's a tad quicker, but in hindsight I'd have gone automatic for the convenience.

I've driven auto-magic for the past 8 years, love it. I used to do about 60k miles of commuting each year, most in rush hour, in a manual I'd spend most of the time riding the clutch. I've never been a petrol head so don't mind if the car is a little 'slower' to get going. Once I got an automatic sitting in traffic wasn't nearly as horrible. I am surprised that there is a demand for a manual car now - not that I know much about cars!

9 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

VWFS will try to bone you. I had a full refund on my 'handback' charge based on the fact that they couldn't see any of the apparent damage, even though I never had an issue with the damages! They skillfully avoided my actual issue(s), once I've had my refund I'll go back and see what they say.

They gave me the option of calling VWFS finance on Monday and seeing if they’ll take the car back. If they take it back for less than the 3 grand then I can renegotiate the deal I got on the car I bought. So praying for that but not holding my breath

People shouldn’t be getting into negative equity situations at the moment, the used market is in a right bubble. 

We are selling cars to traders who so are desperate for stock, they are and paying well over CAP averages and buying blind.

PCP sucks sweaty ass. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bielesibub said:

I've got to do the paperwork for my voluntary termination tomorrow, I'm under on the miles so no problem there but the alloys are ****, there's maybe 3 or 4 scratches on it and because I've hardly driven it since Jan because of not coming back to the UK the brakes are absolutely ****

Expecting around £3k as the bill

Got to be honest, I'd be gutted to drive an SUV. I don't care what badge is on them, they're word removed mobiles. Way too big for UK roads and I'd welcome VED being adjusted to factor in car size as well as emissions. 

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I've got to do the paperwork for my voluntary termination tomorrow, I'm under on the miles so no problem there but the alloys are ****, there's maybe 3 or 4 scratches on it and because I've hardly driven it since Jan because of not coming back to the UK the brakes are absolutely ****

Expecting around £3k as the bill

Your brakes will clean up quite quickly, just have a drive round and drag the pads on the discs a bit. Could save you a lot of money!

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

Your brakes will clean up quite quickly, just have a drive round and drag the pads on the discs a bit. Could save you a lot of money!

Gave it a blast last weekend, turning the stereo up seemed to work well with fixing the brakes 😛

• Haha 1

Excuse my naivety, but how can you be in negative equity? Isn't the balloon set and you either pay it or hand it back? I thought the extra costs only came for excess mileage and excessive wear and tear? 

Its been a while since I had my only lease, but Mercedes took mine back and I signed a form and that was it. Never heard anything more. 

I’ve kerbed my alloys several times. It upsets me for about 45 seconds after I do it. If I had my car on a lease it would piss me off for much longer knowing I’d be getting stung to refurbish them. Same for marks on the bodywork. 

9 hours ago, Wezbid said:

I've just upgraded (that's right) to an 06 Civic 2.2 I-ctdi. Coming from a little Yaris the jump is huge in power and comfort. For an 06 plate it feels much more modern inside. Shedloads of room for a relatively small car.

I know it's not much compared to newer vehicles but it really is a step up for me and I'm happy as Larry. 

Is that the futuristic looking Civic? I remember looking at them when they were new and was impressed.

43 minutes ago, Xela said:

Excuse my naivety, but how can you be in negative equity? Isn't the balloon set and you either pay it or hand it back? I thought the extra costs only came for excess mileage and excessive wear and tear? 

Its been a while since I had my only lease, but Mercedes took mine back and I signed a form and that was it. Never heard anything more. 

Mileage but I'm about 10k under so that's not a problem 

The other is obviously just going back early, they value the car on the spot, you got a £30k loan on it, paid off £10k they value the car at £18k, you have £2k negative equity

Voluntary termination knocks that on the head, available when you've paid half, mine is in Feb but I'm paying up to VT to speed it up, that's the trick they won't tell you, don't pay the negative equity, pay up to VT

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Got to be honest, I'd be gutted to drive an SUV. I don't care what badge is on them, they're word removed mobiles. Way too big for UK roads and I'd welcome VED being adjusted to factor in car size as well as emissions. 

Cheers mate :thumb: 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Excess mileage and a couple of scratches and alloys being scraped

I was shocked it was 3 grand to be honest. I won't pretend to know how it works. I'm calling VWFS tomorrow to see if they'll take it back for less. I can repair the scratches myself and the alloys can be done fairly cheaply

• Like 1

Â