What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

I'm pretty sure my Lupo has a bigger boot than an Evoque.

Considerable better looking too*

*Owns a Lupo and thinks the Evoque looks like a RR as designed in the Jetsons universe*

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blandy said:

It's in the eye of the beholder, I guess.  I like the simplicity and design around function of them, especially the older ones.Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 12.52.16.png

Fantastic 

The 964 version of the 911 is my favourite

Classic air cooled 911. I prefer it to the later 993

nDeNFhL.jpg?1

• Like 3

My uncle crashed a 356 cabriolet back in the 60s. Extremely bad. Life changing bad. Still, beautiful cars.

The 993 was always the era of 911 I liked most, with this being the grail

993GT2.jpg

Of course the closest I'll come to one of these will be in a box with Tamiya written on it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've taken the splash and gone electric. My Nissan Leaf N-Tech arrived yesterday and I must admit that the silence coupled with that electric tourque has me riled up. The fact that it's got enough range for me to go 200 miles before charging (if temperatures aren't below 5C) and that charging at home makes it cheap as chips to drive was big for me when buying it.

Some quick calculations should save us around £2000 a year in petrol costs alone and I'm doing my bit for not using fossile fuels anymore. Hopefully the industry that produces the batteries cleans up so that all bad sides to buying electric gets eliminated.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I've taken the splash and gone electric. My Nissan Leaf N-Tech arrived yesterday and I must admit that the silence coupled with that electric tourque has me riled up. The fact that it's got enough range for me to go 200 miles before charging (if temperatures aren't below 5C) and that charging at home makes it cheap as chips to drive was big for me when buying it.

Some quick calculations should save us around £2000 a year in petrol costs alone and I'm doing my bit for not using fossile fuels anymore. Hopefully the industry that produces the batteries cleans up so that all bad sides to buying electric gets eliminated.

How are you getting on with the pedals?

Isn’t there some different configuration like it brakes if you’re not accelerating or something like that?

I’ve actually just gone back to old school petrol, but a weirdly tiny engine. I’d had a hybrid that averaged pretty much 70mpg in a petrol auto. But to say things have changed a bit is an understatement. Doesn’t look like I’ll be doing half the miles for a while and the lease on the hybrid went up by pretty much the amount I’d been saving on fuel which took away all the incentive to bother.

I think I now have the rarest car in the world. A Skoda Scala with a sports disco interior (all black inside, including the headlining, but with led strip lighting???)

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

How are you getting on with the pedals?

Isn’t there some different configuration like it brakes if you’re not accelerating or something like that?

I’ve actually just gone back to old school petrol, but a weirdly tiny engine. I’d had a hybrid that averaged pretty much 70mpg in a petrol auto. But to say things have changed a bit is an understatement. Doesn’t look like I’ll be doing half the miles for a while and the lease on the hybrid went up by pretty much the amount I’d been saving on fuel which took away all the incentive to bother.

I think I now have the rarest car in the world. A Skoda Scala with a sports disco interior (all black inside, including the headlining, but with led strip lighting???)

It's all a bit new to me, but essentially the car has several drive modes. There's B for break, which will break when you let go of the gas and increase your recharge, then there's the e-pedal which does it all in the pedal (very similar to the B mode imo). After having read some forums on the car it appears that just driving in the normal gear and drifting is better than B unless you're driving in a city. What excites me the most is the self driving systems - the car automatically keeps distance to the car ahead once cruise control is activated, keeps in the lanes and breaks automatically if someone stops in front of you. There's probably a lot more to learn. 

The car doesn't like my brummie accent tho, so I need to clear this up when giving it instructions. Last night I was cruising around trying to get it to play songs that it kept getting wrong until I figured this out. "PLAY THE CJUUUURE CLOSE TO MAI ON SPOTIFAY" didn't do it.

• Like 1

Mine has ‘gesture control’.

It’s supposed to mean a waft of the hand to get the central controls to do something, rather than taking your eye off the road to twiddle knobs. In reality so far, it means me driving along camply swatting imaginary flies whilst nothing very much happens.

• Haha 1

Â