What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Mine has ‘gesture control’.

It’s supposed to mean a waft of the hand to get the central controls to do something, rather than taking your eye off the road to twiddle knobs. In reality so far, it means me driving along camply swatting imaginary flies whilst nothing very much happens.

Do you not have the buttons on the steering wheel? 

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

Do you not have the buttons on the steering wheel? 

I’ve only done about 70 miles in it, so I’m still figuring it out (I’d been doing 1,500 a month pre covid).

There are buttons on the steering wheel and I’ve found how to change the screen in front of me. There are no dials, it’s just two screens. I have about 4 buttons in total the rest is all off a touch screen you supposedly don’t have to touch.

The bloody thing keeps asking me for my e-mail! What the hell is it going to e-mail me that it can’t tell me whilst I’m sat in it?

• Haha 1

I'm off to Audi next week for an "account review", which I'm fully prepared to be a full on sales pitch.

I'm in the odd position of not knowing what I want. At all. Big part of me wants nothing and just to give my car back and shop around.

My first car was a gift (well a loan really). Then I really wanted a VW Golf so I got one. Then I really wanted an Audi A5 but couldn't afford it so got an A3. Then I got a new job so went for the A5. But because I'd always wanted one I now don't know what I want :D

Part of me thinks I should get something more practical and bigger, in preparation for dogs and kids (ugh). 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm off to Audi next week for an "account review", which I'm fully prepared to be a full on sales pitch.

I'm in the odd position of not knowing what I want. At all. Big part of me wants nothing and just to give my car back and shop around.

My first car was a gift (well a loan really). Then I really wanted a VW Golf so I got one. Then I really wanted an Audi A5 but couldn't afford it so got an A3. Then I got a new job so went for the A5. But because I'd always wanted one I now don't know what I want :D

Part of me thinks I should get something more practical and bigger, in preparation for dogs and kids (ugh). 

If you've got your Audi with a deal backed by VWFS, expect to be royally bummed by them if you want to hand your car back. I've had a stink of a time since handing back my A3 in Feb, another mate of mine is having the same problem.

• Like 1

Just now, bielesibub said:

If you've got your Audi with a deal backed by VWFS, expect to be royally bummed by them if you want to hand your car back. I've had a stink of a time since handing back my A3 in Feb, another mate of mine is having the same problem.

Yeah this is what I'm afraid of. My deal runs until July next year.

So the easiest option is to probably get another car with them. If I could get something like a Q5 at an affordable price I would be very tempted but not sure how achievable that is. And if I'm going for a bigger car I'd rather have the ability to shop around a little. I'm not actually THAT into Audi's 4x4 offerings, I'd just be getting one because it's easier. 

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

So the easiest option is to probably get another car with them. If I could get something like a Q5 at an affordable price I would be very tempted but not sure how achievable that is. And if I'm going for a bigger car I'd rather have the ability to shop around a little. I'm not actually THAT into Audi's 4x4 offerings, I'd just be getting one because it's easier. 

Sadly I think this is what they want, I spent 4 years paying £441 a month for a car I hardly used in the final 2 years. The lease seemed like a cracking idea at the time I got it, I needed a reliable car, it cost me more to have a day off than the car cost each month. Audi's 4x4's look nice, but you're paying for those 4 rings (insert Kenneth Williams picture here).

I tried handing my A3 back several years ago and they gave me an in invoice for almost 20k, it was cheaper for me to keep the car on my drive than hand it back! I realise now they cocked up, but I was too ill to question them.

Our family car is an auto-magic 2012 SMAX, I love it. I have 4 kids.

2 hours ago, bielesibub said:

I tried handing my A3 back several years ago and they gave me an in invoice for almost 20k, it was cheaper for me to keep the car on my drive than hand it back! I realise now they cocked up, but I was too ill to question them.

20 thousand **** pounds? What did you do, try and take it back with two wheels and no engine?

I got dinged for a scuffed alloy, but that's the only charge I've ever paid when returning a lease. Admittedly, I've not had one with VWFS, but there's an expectation of fair wair and tear that includes stuff like small numbers stone chips and minor scuffs/scratches.

• Haha 1

Heard good things about Qashqai's a couple of years back, so bought an 18 plate (one of those, "it's done 20 miles so there's £5k knocked off the price" jobs).  Read some reviews since that has said their reliability is basically awful... never had a problem, apart from needing the battery replaced once.  Something about a faulty batch from a supplier?  The car has actually been ace - really nice to drive.

ANYWAY...

We've now got two kids and looking for something a bit bigger - not ridiculous, but a bit bigger.  Was thinking maybe an XC60.

Any thoughts plz?

Edited by bobzy

32 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

20 thousand **** pounds? What did you do, try and take it back with two wheels and no engine?

I got dinged for a scuffed alloy, but that's the only charge I've ever paid when returning a lease. Admittedly, I've not had one with VWFS, but there's an expectation of fair wair and tear that includes stuff like small numbers stone chips and minor scuffs/scratches.

That wasn't for damages that was handing the car back mid way through my 4 year deal.

Edited by bielesibub
smelling pistake
  • Like 1

My Hyundai was on lease through Santander and I was expecting a bit of aggro from them when it came to handing it back. The guy spent the best part of an hour taking photos and sitting in it and generally looking it over. Knocked on my door and said zero charge, all good. I was amazed.

The weird thing was, I’d tried several times to extend the lease and they absolutely wouldn’t have it, they insisted on having it back. But then the guy that picked it up was driving it directly to the car auctions. Well best of luck getting decent money for a 3 year old Hyundai that’s done 48,000 miles in the current economy.

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

My Hyundai was on lease through Santander and I was expecting a bit of aggro from them when it came to handing it back. The guy spent the best part of an hour taking photos and sitting in it and generally looking it over. Knocked on my door and said zero charge, all good. I was amazed.

The weird thing was, I’d tried several times to extend the lease and they absolutely wouldn’t have it, they insisted on having it back. But then the guy that picked it up was driving it directly to the car auctions. Well best of luck getting decent money for a 3 year old Hyundai that’s done 48,000 miles in the current economy.

Just brought the in laws 2nd hand i30 the other week, cracking motor, similar mileage to yours and great to drive  

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Just brought the in laws 2nd hand i30 the other week, cracking motor, similar mileage to yours and great to drive  

I’d have happily had another Hyundai but for some reason in the weeks I was looking for a deal, they just weren’t interested. I find it difficult to believe they’d already made their quota.

I had an Ioniq, a straight like for like replacement, they wanted nearly £100 a month more than I was currently paying. I presumed it was a tactic and they’d come down in price as the end date got closer. Nope. 

Anyway, in the end I think I benefitted from some poor sod that had clearly had a change of circumstances, a cancelled order loaded with extras that I didn’t pay for. It’s got those scrolling indicators that cost a fortune if you want them on your golf. It has ‘sports pedals’ as in, someone has paid extra money to have stainless steel trim on the pedals of an automatic Skoda. There are some seriously mixed up people out there. I think I worked it out on the build your own, that with the paint and the seats and all the other extra bits n bobs it was well over £25,000 at list price. I’m paying £200 a month, no deposit. I’m quite chuffed with that.

I am slightly concerned that to date, in a month of looking, I have never seen another one on the road. Why am I the only person that has bought this car?

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’d have happily had another Hyundai but for some reason in the weeks I was looking for a deal, they just weren’t interested. I find it difficult to believe they’d already made their quota.

I had an Ioniq, a straight like for like replacement, they wanted nearly £100 a month more than I was currently paying. I presumed it was a tactic and they’d come down in price as the end date got closer. Nope. 

Anyway, in the end I think I benefitted from some poor sod that had clearly had a change of circumstances, a cancelled order loaded with extras that I didn’t pay for. It’s got those scrolling indicators that cost a fortune if you want them on your golf. It has ‘sports pedals’ as in, someone has paid extra money to have stainless steel trim on the pedals of an automatic Skoda. There are some seriously mixed up people out there. I think I worked it out on the build your own, that with the paint and the seats and all the other extra bits n bobs it was well over £25,000 at list price. I’m paying £200 a month, no deposit. I’m quite chuffed with that.

I am slightly concerned that to date, in a month of looking, I have never seen another one on the road. Why am I the only person that has bought this car?

Lockdown maybe ?more people working from home,  less cars on the road so less chance of seeing one?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

So the easiest option is to probably get another car with them. 

That is exactly their plan. Get you into a cycle of changing cars every 2/3 years with them. Some people don't mind it, but its a bugger to get out of

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Well best of luck getting decent money for a 3 year old Hyundai that’s done 48,000 miles in the current economy.

The daft thing is, auctions are doing great at the minute. Quality used cars and vans are flying through the auctions. I have a few clients who are auction houses and others that are car/van hire businesses. They're selling for more than they would pre Covid.

Why? Not 100% sure. Maybe people have decided to come out of PCP/PCH agreements and need a car or they're just not renewing due to uncertainty and buying second hand instead. With the vans I think its the demand for more couriers and home deliveries which is causing the spike. There is also a bit of a delay on new vehicles coming through due to the lockdown and reduction in work on the assembly lines across Europe. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

Heard good things about Qashqai's a couple of years back, so bought an 18 plate (one of those, "it's done 20 miles so there's £5k knocked off the price" jobs).  Read some reviews since that has said their reliability is basically awful... never had a problem, apart from needing the battery replaced once.  Something about a faulty batch from a supplier?  The car has actually been ace - really nice to drive.

ANYWAY...

We've now got two kids and looking for something a bit bigger - not ridiculous, but a bit bigger.  Was thinking maybe an XC60.

Any thoughts plz?

I love my Tiguan. Never had a problem with it apart from when someone rear ended me. 

I've ummed and ahhed about changing my car to something more 'economical' but decided against it. I just don't do enough miles for it to be a major concern fuel economy wise. MPG is between 18 and 30 depending on distance but the car owes me nothing and i know its history. I could buy a cheaper car and it be a dog with countless problems which cost a lot to fix. 

I bought a 1 year extended warranty on my car after the initial warranty that they gave me expired (used Ford Kuga bought from Ford main dealer). 
The extra warranty also came with breakdown cover and MOT protection. Naturally it’s not given me a moments trouble and sailed through the MOT.

I’m not sure if I’m happy it’s seems a good car, or pissed off I’ve not managed to claim anything back from the warranty I forked out for. 

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

ANYWAY...

Any thoughts plz?

Had a qashqai for 3 years, never had a problem with it. BMW 3 series estate now which I love. I'd also love something bigger for family reasons, cant see myself in a people carrier though and I'm  barely doing any miles

• Like 1

Â