Stanley Victor Collymore

donnie

He was a complete disaster for us, he probably led to Brian Little quitting, he is a wifebeater and a dogger. So no, not really a fan.

Strange one Little quitting. He built a good team. If Collymore was a disasterous signing so was Saša Ćurčić

4 million was a lot of money then and he was on 12k a week which was very high wages. He was useless! Never filled the role Tommy Johnson had played so well the previous season. Sadly I don't think you can blame Collymore Little quitting. I think villa was just too big a job for him.

Bringing in SVC and Curcic were major factors. Little had a tight happy unit with few egos, and those two help create a bad dressing room vibe.  I also think Brian had some family problems, and it all came to a head and he quit. I would question the fact that the  Villa job was too big for him. The previous 2 seasons we had come 4th, won the league cup and got to the FA semi final, and the year after we came 5th. Since the 1930s at Villan no one has made them come in the top 5 2 years running, nor since. He was often talked about being a future england manager but I think his heart was never in it after he left us. It would be nice if he could come back in some capacity at Villa one day.

Wasn't he in an interesting video with Bosnich and Yorke?

Not a music video like Hoddle and Waddle were, BTW.

This one?

71lflPtu8wL._SL500_SY300_.jpg

Nah this was a couple of seasons before he joined.

Was only a kid when Stan was with us but two memories stand out for me:

1) His performance and two goals against Atletico in the UEFA Cup second leg game. Best atmosphere I can ever remember at the Villa.

2) Hat-trick against Spurs on Boxing Day, includi the injury free-kick into the top corner.

However, I do remember generally being very frustrated with him as well, with such performances being few and far between.

He only scored one against Madrid as Taylor scored the first. Stan was only on for 25 mins or so but he had an impact! Hendrie was superb that night as well.

I can't remember a hat-trick against Spurs? Maybe my memory has gone!

Blimey my memory is playing tricks on me there then! I'm pretty much positive about the hat-trick though :).

think the hat-trick was a UEFA Cup game but not sure against who

Was only a kid when Stan was with us but two memories stand out for me:

1) His performance and two goals against Atletico in the UEFA Cup second leg game. Best atmosphere I can ever remember at the Villa.

2) Hat-trick against Spurs on Boxing Day, includi the injury free-kick into the top corner.

However, I do remember generally being very frustrated with him as well, with such performances being few and far between.

He only scored one against Madrid as Taylor scored the first. Stan was only on for 25 mins or so but he had an impact! Hendrie was superb that night as well.

I can't remember a hat-trick against Spurs? Maybe my memory has gone!

Blimey my memory is playing tricks on me there then! I'm pretty much positive about the hat-trick though :).

think the hat-trick was a UEFA Cup game but not sure against who

Jeez I must be getting old! My memory is shocking. Just checked and he only scored 2 (Draper got the other 2).

He was a complete disaster for us, he probably led to Brian Little quitting, he is a wifebeater and a dogger. So no, not really a fan.

Strange one Little quitting. He built a good team. If Collymore was a disasterous signing so was Saša Ćurčić

4 million was a lot of money then and he was on 12k a week which was very high wages. He was useless! Never filled the role Tommy Johnson had played so well the previous season. Sadly I don't think you can blame Collymore Little quitting. I think villa was just too big a job for him.

Bringing in SVC and Curcic were major factors. Little had a tight happy unit with few egos, and those two help create a bad dressing room vibe.  I also think Brian had some family problems, and it all came to a head and he quit. I would question the fact that the  Villa job was too big for him. The previous 2 seasons we had come 4th, won the league cup and got to the FA semi final, and the year after we came 5th. Since the 1930s at Villan no one has made them come in the top 5 2 years running, nor since. He was often talked about being a future england manager but I think his heart was never in it after he left us. It would be nice if he could come back in some capacity at Villa one day.

Ok I accept it wasn't too big a job and I love Brian Little. One of the best players that ever played for the club imo. Hard to believe he'll be 60 soon.

that video is fantastic i miss those days villa park went fcking mental. i think he should be applauded for turning his lfe around personally

when you consider we paid 7m for collymore and 6m for balaban i dont think he was the biggest flop ever. i blame gregory as well his mangement style was pathetic for collymore, blasting him in public. his man mangement was awful, if only lambo was his manager back then i think we would have seen a lot better from collymore

• Like 1

that video is fantastic i miss those days villa park went fcking mental. i think he should be applauded for turning his lfe around personally

when you consider we paid 7m for collymore and 6m for balaban i dont think he was the biggest flop ever. i blame gregory as well his mangement style was pathetic for collymore, blasting him in public. his man mangement was awful, if only lambo was his manager back then i think we would have seen a lot better from collymore

Yep Lambert is obviously a much smarter man than Gregory. There's been a number of flops over the years.  Cascarino was a big flop.

I still think he had as good as season in 1994/95 (for Forest) as anybody has had in the Premier League. Not just the number of goals he scored, but the nature of them. So many individual efforts. It was not unlike Gareth Bale last year actually. 

• Like 1

I still think he had as good as season in 1994/95 (for Forest) as anybody has had in the Premier League. Not just the number of goals he scored, but the nature of them. So many individual efforts. It was not unlike Gareth Bale last year actually. 

Yes a right footed Gareth Bale.

The goal he scored against Atletico in the home leg in 1998 provided possibly my favourite commentary line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3gns1yFyrA

Don't think I've ever experienced villa park like that moment since.

Sat in the office grinning like a clearing in the woods with goosebumps......awesome

What exactly did he say about Villa in his autobiography?

Made disparaging comments about the standard of player's when he joined the club in 1997. Also said that most of the football fans in Birmingham actually support Birmingham City. which is simply not true.

Â