Stanley Victor Collymore

donnie

He is a brilliant radio presenter. So passionate and makes some great points.

How was he as a player...for us and Liverpool?? I was maybe too young to appreciate his talents.

Dont get why the villa fans dislike him either?? He is a massive villa fan so biased in favour of us

He is a brilliant radio presenter. So passionate and makes some great points.

How was he as a player...for us and Liverpool?? I was maybe too young to appreciate his talents.

Dont get why the villa fans dislike him either?? He is a massive villa fan so biased in favour of us

Its a long story and people will be able to explain better than me. He had to this mental health problem at Villa and wanted to be left out of the team. Gregory was not supportive and the fans agreed with the manager. great talent but didn't make the best of his career.

It was the pressure that got on top of Collymore. Gregory said something like "Pressure is not being able to pay your bills", but mental breakdowns can happen to people in all walks of life. Gregory was an arsehole and with more support maybe Collymore could have done better for us!

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

You know how people talk about Stephen Ireland now?

That was Stan, then.

Unfair, but that's football fans. I agree, he's good on the radio.

Edited by mjmooney

I know he had his problems but I still think the biggest disappointment as a signing for Villa was Collymore. The money we paid and the expectations of him and Yorke being the best forward line in the league :(

His love of Villa only seemed to materialise once he got the gig at Talksport. I think he slagged us off in his autobiography. I rarely listen to that station but I agree that he is a good presenter who actually does some research.

• Like 1

He is a cracking radio present and an intelligent bloke - knows when and how to start a riot on twitter and seems unafraid to raise difficult issues. 

Liked him as a player (despite his issues) and like him as a pundit. 

I think most of the antipathy towards him results from him assaulting Ulrika Johnsson and getting caught dogging. 

He is a cracking radio present and an intelligent bloke - knows when and how to start a riot on twitter and seems unafraid to raise difficult issues. 

I think most of the antipathy towards him results from him assaulting Ulrika Johnsson and getting caught dogging

Oh yes Milford Common just off Cannock chase. Know it well but never been dogging. Yes the assault on Ulrika didn't do him any favours, His bst years were at forest and I like him as a pundit because he is passionate unlike Shearer and the rest of the prozak group on the bbc

He is a prat, told him he was wrong about McLeish (he was backing him!) so he blocked me.

As a footballer he let us fans down too, he acts so damn righteous.

I think most of the antipathy towards him results from him assaulting Ulrika Johnsson and getting caught dogging.

Oh yes Milford Common just off Cannock chase. Know it well but never been dogging. Yes the assault on Ulrika didn't do him any favours, His bst years were at forest and I like him as a pundit because he is passionate unlike Shearer and the rest of the prozak group on the bbc

Yet Stan is probably on prozak.

As raw attributes go Collymore had everything. Pace, power, skill, technique. He could have had a fantastic career. When at forest he was on fire scoring a lot of goals, not just tap ins but some absolute screamers. He moved to a Liverpool for a high fee at the time and initially started well making a great partnership with fowler. But his demons started to affect him and eventually was sold to us (again for a reasonably high fee). As a fan it seemed a fantastic move, a player coming to his boyhood club, we all thought he would be able to put his demons behind him and play to his full potential. Unfortunately, his demons got worse at us and he was unable to perform to a high level. Gregory didn't help the matter and badly mismanaged him. When he left is, he slagged off the management and this was portrayed badly in the club. Which is probably one reason (along with the women beating) why he is seen in a bad light.

He is a prat, told him he was wrong about McLeish (he was backing him!) so he blocked me.

Maybe the thing is when a player has a physical injury its something tangible but if its mental health then people, particularly in that era, had no awareness or understanding and so treated it with contempt. Nobody knows what was in Stan's head so its difficult to judge. All I will say is Gregory had no understanding and was really thick about the whole thing and made the fans turn against him. So maybe it was Gregory rather than Villa Stan had issues with.

Maybe the thing is when a player has a physical injury its something tangible but if its mental health then people, particularly in that era, had no awareness or understanding and so treated it with contempt. Nobody knows what was in Stan's head so its difficult to judge. All I will say is Gregory had no understanding and was really thick about the whole thing and made the fans turn against him. So maybe it was Gregory rather than Villa Stan had issues with.

He was crap for Little too and likely cost him his job. He then went crazy at Leicester - under the man manager MON.

He get sent off 20 minutes into my first ever visit to Villa Park, taunting the Liverpool fans (then in the Lower North) on his way towards the tunnel. I've liked him ever since, what a hero!

• Like 1

Was only a kid when Stan was with us but two memories stand out for me:

1) His performance and two goals against Atletico in the UEFA Cup second leg game. Best atmosphere I can ever remember at the Villa.

2) Hat-trick against Spurs on Boxing Day, includi the injury free-kick into the top corner.

However, I do remember generally being very frustrated with him as well, with such performances being few and far between.

His first game under Gregory, against Liverpool ironically, he was on absolute fire that day. Unfortunately to this day that was his best performance in a Villa shirt. Though their is a clip from the Swansea ground where he's watching AVFC against Man City, we score a winner and he's going absolutely wild in an empty Swansea stadium.

Funny, I was only talking about Stan on Talksport earlier today.  I think he is really really good as a pundit - he comes across as really intelligent.     Yes, he has had his demons but I do think he appears to have turned his life around so fair play to him.

I remember the super hype and excitement when we signed him - I remember the pic of him in the white away strip with a blue stripe across and recall Tom Ross and everyone urging Villa to "break the bank for Collymore" which we did - it's a shame it didn't work out for him whilst he was with us.  He admitted on TS last night that he was really poor whilst at Villa.

Id agree frustration was the main reason. 

Someone compared him to Ireland which I cant see really, as sometimes he did it on the pitch.  Collymore on his day was up there with the best strikers in Europe, he was that good. 

Unfortunately as pointed out these performances were few and far between.  However even more frustrating than this was during each of these performances we thought he had turned the corner and had finally blossomed.

After the depression thing started some thought it was just an excuse for being lazy which didnt add to the apathy towards him.

I agree with the 'Ireland of his time' tag. Made even worse by the fact he is supposed to be a Villa fan. One of our worst ever signings and I can't believe he is idolised by some.

Â