Stanley Victor Collymore

donnie

One of our worst ever signings and I can't believe he is idolised by some.

Most disappointing maybe, but no matter your personal judgement on him to call him one of the worst signings is simply wrong. 

Edited by Nigel

a supremely gifted footballer who failed to mnake the most of his talent. not the first or the last.

he does a lot of work for mental health charities to help people in ways he should of been helped and he always has debates about things that make a lot of sense on talksport, a few weeks ago his debate on the price of replica shirts was brilliant.

One of our worst ever signings and I can't believe he is idolised by some.

Most disappointing maybe, but no matter your personal judgement on him to call him one of the worst signings is simply wrong.

It is a subjective matter but the case can be made to label him as such. It should be remembered that a £7m signing back then would probably be equivalent to a £20m signing now.

He get sent off 20 minutes into my first ever visit to Villa Park, taunting the Liverpool fans (then in the Lower North) on his way towards the tunnel. I've liked him ever since, what a hero!

I was at that game with a couple of mates and we were howling at that. He was giving them the Harry Enfield "Caaaaaarm down, caaaaaarm down" gestures as he walked off.

• Like 1

You know how people talk about Stephen Ireland now?

That was Stan, then.

Unfair, but that's football fans. I agree, he's good on the radio.

Yep would've posted this comment if on earlier, so much excitement when he signed and just didn't work out at all.

I too like him on the radio even if some of his opinions are bizarre at times.

I think he's hit and miss on the radio personally, often talks a lot of sense when in commentary and on the drive home on Saturday night, but in the week when they must be struggling for news I think he gets a bee in his bonnet and refuses to accept anyone else's opinion, did it with mental health in football and racism

im sure it was him that teamed up with john barnes for possibly the worst thing ive ever heard on talksport (which takes some doing) where they defended suarez in the evra case and then went on to attack football for there not being enough black managers

I know he had his problems but I still think the biggest disappointment as a signing for Villa was Collymore. The money we paid and the expectations of him and Yorke being the best forward line in the league :(

First signs Brian Little was starting to get things wrong, he actually played Yorke in midfield for the first 4 games and we lost them all.

The signing just unbalanced the team really and probably the dressing room and undid all the good stuff from the previous two years.

Thinking back to the following season 98/99 he was actually playing really well for a decent period of games (I'm thinking when we came from 2 down to beat Arsenal) and then he got sent off against Liverpool and things went downhill from there.

Was only a kid when Stan was with us but two memories stand out for me:

1) His performance and two goals against Atletico in the UEFA Cup second leg game. Best atmosphere I can ever remember at the Villa.

2) Hat-trick against Spurs on Boxing Day, includi the injury free-kick into the top corner.

However, I do remember generally being very frustrated with him as well, with such performances being few and far between.

He only scored one against Madrid as Taylor scored the first. Stan was only on for 25 mins or so but he had an impact! Hendrie was superb that night as well.

I can't remember a hat-trick against Spurs? Maybe my memory has gone!

Was only a kid when Stan was with us but two memories stand out for me:

1) His performance and two goals against Atletico in the UEFA Cup second leg game. Best atmosphere I can ever remember at the Villa.

2) Hat-trick against Spurs on Boxing Day, includi the injury free-kick into the top corner.

However, I do remember generally being very frustrated with him as well, with such performances being few and far between.

He only scored one against Madrid as Taylor scored the first. Stan was only on for 25 mins or so but he had an impact! Hendrie was superb that night as well.

I can't remember a hat-trick against Spurs? Maybe my memory has gone!

Blimey my memory is playing tricks on me there then! I'm pretty much positive about the hat-trick though :).

He get sent off 20 minutes into my first ever visit to Villa Park, taunting the Liverpool fans (then in the Lower North) on his way towards the tunnel. I've liked him ever since, what a hero!

I was at that game with a couple of mates and we were howling at that. He was giving them the Harry Enfield "Caaaaaarm down, caaaaaarm down" gestures as he walked off.

He had played an absolute blinder that game too.

He was a complete disaster for us, he probably led to Brian Little quitting, he is a wifebeater and a dogger. So no, not really a fan.

Strange one Little quitting. He built a good team. If Collymore was a disasterous signing so was Saša Ćurčić

4 million was a lot of money then and he was on 12k a week which was very high wages. He was useless! Never filled the role Tommy Johnson had played so well the previous season. Sadly I don't think you can blame Collymore Little quitting. I think villa was just too big a job for him.

Wasn't he in an interesting video with Bosnich and Yorke?

Not a music video like Hoddle and Waddle were, BTW.

No but he did show the Fulham players a bluey that he had made of him and Ulrika so the story goes

Regarding Gregory I think he acted in the way that most / all managers at that time acted , ie depressed on £40k a week f&@k off

Gregory has since admitted he handled it badly and didn't really understand the situation

He is a prat, told him he was wrong about McLeish (he was backing him!) so he blocked me.

As a footballer he let us fans down too, he acts so damn righteous.

He is a cracking radio present and an intelligent bloke - knows when and how to start a riot on twitter and seems unafraid to raise difficult issues.

Liked him as a player (despite his issues) and like him as a pundit.

I think most of the antipathy towards him results from him assaulting Ulrika Johnsson and getting caught dogging.

Oh yes Milford Common just off Cannock chase. Know it well but never been dogging. Yes the assault on Ulrika didn't do him any favours, His bst years were at forest and I like him as a pundit because he is passionate unlike Shearer and the rest of the prozak group on the bbc

Yet Stan is probably on prozak.

I think it's easy to dismiss the impact of mental illness, just as Gregory did at the time.  "What have you got to be depressed about?".  It doesn't work like that.

Gregory later recalled that after Stan's debut against Liverpool he'd scored twice and sat in the dressing room absolutely gutted that he hadn't scored three.  His actions, however deplorable some of them may have been, were a consequence of his state of mental health and the lack of understanding and presumably lack of treatment he received.

Such a talented player, as Trent said. Fast, strong, direct, could shoot from anywhere with either foot.  Sadly another one in the list of what might have been Villa players.  You can't help but wonder if a more forward thinking manager may have made him into the superstar he could've been.

• Like 3

He's fantastic on the radio, I like him as a fan, he's hopefully put his demons behind him as a man and there are stories that he had more than enough demons - I hope he continues to make a success of broadcasting, he's better than the MoTD crowd.

As a player - he scored the same number of goals for us as Luke Moore in about the same time - it just never worked out for him.

Phenomenal talent unfulfilled. An on-form Stan was pretty much unplayable. Shame things happened the way they did, had all the talent to be an England & Villa legend.

Â