Stanley Victor Collymore

donnie

Not only are there racist tweets at him, there are actually people saying things like "you're going to get killed" and "I'm gonna make sure you die" etc.

People threatening to kill him because he thinks Suarez dived?

Cretins.

I hate social network sites, a few weeks back there was a car crash here. A young girl died, a few days later somebody set up a fake profile under her name and was saying some pretty sick stuff, it is under police investigation at the moment. I don't have Facebook anymore, I saw too much crap on there. At this rate twitter can go too.

He is really pushing the issue today with a series of interviews on radio and TV to gain exposure and force Twitter to take more responsibility.

Good on him, the majority of these people wouldn't dare say such things if they weren't behind the internet, they're given a safeguard to release their inner racist/weirdo. It shouldn't be a safeguard, action should be taken.

• Like 2

the treatment of collymore is absolutely disgusting from these thugs, so he has an opinion live with it whether he is right or wrong.

im proud he is taking the fight to twitter. these cowards and vermin should get the book thrown at them

• Like 2

I would be vert concerned if I were one of these idiots that sent abuse.

Possibly lose their jobs (those who do have them) kicked out of uni (those who are there) and the serious threat of a record for future employers to see you have charged with rascist abuse.

All because of a football game and a dive from a man that, apart from wearing a jersey that you follow, could not care less about you. Do they expect Suarez to be grateful they have 'stood up' for him?

Was anything done to the girls that sent death threats to gabby after the Petrov match or did he not report it?

Rant over.

• Like 3

I hate the fact that every newspaper has a comments section at the bottom, and I hate that certain TV-channels have Twitter-feeds at the bottom before and after every game. For the most part these are unintelligent and irrational people commenting only in the favor of their own club/standpoint and you always see the typical one-sided hate towards the other. It gets old very quickly, we know Liverpool-fans hate United-fans and vice versa. If Suarez dives it's a penalty, if Rooney does exactly the same it's a criminal act. What's the basis? There is never a discussion, there is never common sense or value in terms of information when you read this tripe. If Liverpool goes for a player he is bound to be world-class, if United buys the same player instead then he of course is not. If I want to hear the opinion of a Liverpool-fan after a controversial decision, I would go down to the pub and listen to these people voice their "truths". It annoys me when pundits are talking about a penalty when one of them mentions something like "This guy from Twitter says it's 100% a penalty, so people are obviously not agreeing with the referee" and then it's suddenly 50/50. It never is, it's just fans of a certain club not being able to see the difference from black and white - and most of these tweets are probably from 14 year olds anyway. I don't want to read an article about some dangerous battle going on in Syria, when suddenly a long post from an uneducated, unemployed, semi-racist hobby politician is given room on the side of the article. Of course I have the option to NOT read that drivel, but we all know our eyes are drawn in that direction anyway. Smart, educated and rational people don't often comment on things such as sports or politics. They don't have the urge, need, time or reason to do so, because they know it won't lead to anything satisfactory or valuable. Two opposing comments will always lead to the infamous "post on poster" and "**** you".

Twitter will always give abuse for the reasons mentioned above, and it allow idiots to write words like "n-igger" and "f-aggot" towards black people and homosexuals, basically because it's the only way to instantly "win" against people being instantly offended in the worst way. Can anyone stop it? Not at all, not if they don't secure information about an individual in a more direct way or refrain from people using sites anonymously. That won't help much either, because if you see people commenting with their Facebook-accounts under newspaper articles you always see the same set of people writing the same garbage. 50 year olds with too much time on their hand and a Facebook-account, always addressing their hate for certain political parties and celebrities, uneducated 30 year olds with an obvious inferiority complexes using their voice to comment on rich people spending their money the wrong way - and fat/lazy women commenting on "dangerous" diets and thin women, blogs, commercials and other things that pressure them to actually realize that they are overweight and far from what they could have been.

Argh!

Good on him, the majority of these people wouldn't dare say such things if they weren't behind the internet, they're given a safeguard to release their inner racist/weirdo. It shouldn't be a safeguard, action should be taken.

That's the thing with free speech. You have the right to say what you want - but you can expect to lose your friends/job/health/freedom when people hear things they don't like or that is really offensive. And I have no problem with that.

What I do have a problem with is Twitter's take on "free speech" - which is you can say anything you want almost completely anonymously and not suffer any consequences. That's just not on.

However, I don't think the company should be liable.....

... but you should be properly identified if you want to use the service so that action can be taken.

... but you should be properly identified if you want to use the service so that action can be taken.

Yes, erm, "oz". :)

This is a very good point, should all social media force us to use our real names?

Bruce Crazyarm.

That's the thing with free speech. You have the right to say what you want - but you can expect to lose your friends/job/health/freedom when people hear things they don't like or that is really offensive. And I have no problem with that.

This is not people extressing an opinion, entering in to a debate or 'freedom of speech'.

The are sending death threats and directing racist abuse at him. Both are illegal.

• Like 1

I don't see the point in forcing people to use real names. There is no real anonymity anyway. It may make them a little more responsible or careful with what they say, but if you send a death threat you will be found out sooner rather than later.

However I do think we will be using real names and real identities online as things become more integrated and the line between 'real' life and online becomes increasingly blurred. There won't be any need for force then, and GCHQ's job will be a lot easier!

• Like 1

Free speech is one thing, direct insults/death threats/racist abuse is another.

It is not 'freedom of speech' to be racist, homophobic, sexist, etc.. 

Death threats have always been stereotypically done with cut out newspaper lettering to remain anonymous. Those caught were convicted. Twitter gives people the same anonymity, and that needs to stop. If you won't say it openly and publicly then it shouldn't be said from a protected identity. 

• Like 1

Anonymity is always the greatest strength of the internet, that some people want "real" names and force that upon everywhere is sickening. There is already enough surveillance, how much more are you gonna try and screw the internet up. With that said, I agree about the whole issue of them getting stick and racist comments and that it is not okay but come on. 

Papillon, you probably watch Premier League on TV2, you have to admit the worst part this year is  that whole twitter feed thing. Every single time they show some of them comments I cringe, it`s always pro top 4 teams, every single time. And it`s basically kids every time as well.  That garbage is getting out of hand. 

• Like 1

Chief exec of Talksport has said that twitter will not be mentioned on their station,website or print materials until they are happy with the way twitter deals with these abusive tweets.

Yet after every ad break on the way home they felt the need to mention it. Couldn't count how many times they have said the word "Twitter" in the last hour.

• Like 1

Â