Stanley Victor Collymore

donnie

I presume Liverpool expected him to be the player who fired them to the Premier League title, that didn't happen and he was on the front pages of the papers more than he was on the back pages in those days so I think I can safely say he didn't live up to what they wanted both on and off the pitch.

Liverpool were also embarrassed by the 'spice boys' tag they had back then and breaking that group up was certainly a thing they were willing to do. They were also clearly willing to listen to offers for Collymore because they accepted ours but a player of Collymore's quality (and it had been only two years since he was the hottest striker in the division) was always going to be a saleable asset.  The tone of your initial post comes across as incredibly smug and arrogant. You aren't the only person here who is old enough to remember 1997 mate. 

Albeit from the internet, so not gospel, but this is how I remember it, and to what I was 'smugly' referring, from LFCHistory.net:

Neil Ruddock

"Stan only seemed to turn it on when he felt like it, and he didn't exactly endear himself to his team-mates when he was quoted in a magazine article as saying that he was disappointed with the service he was getting, and that, when he joined Liverpool, he expected to be surrounded by better players. He turned on the other players in the team when he should have been looking at himself. When the lads read what he'd said the attitude of virtually everyone in the squad was '**** you Stan'. 

Stan didn't make any attempt to get on with the lads and, although I used to sit next to him on the coach and try and make conversation with him, I could never claim to know him. Nobody did. He'd turn up for training, do his work, get changed and go home. Not exactly conducive to good team spirit, so I think most of the lads were relieved when he was finally flogged off to Aston Villa."

Roy Evans

"Stan did a lot of things we didn't want him to do but he had the ability to do a lot of things no one else could. But we started getting problems with him in his second year when sometimes he didn't turn up for training. You could see the other players wondering what was going on."

Ahh, Stanley.

The comparisons to Ireland are quite close really. Except that Stanley was to Liverpool what Ireland is to Villa. They had a huge problem with him, and were about to burn virtually all of the £8.5m that they spent on him.

That's not true at all.  Stan didn't deliver what Liverpool were expecting of him, but he did score 37 goals in 74 appearances for them which is a perfect 1 in 2 strike rate. They were always going to get a huge chunk of their money back for him. 

Yeah, poor comparison. Both a problem, but one of them did actually deliver the goods on the pitch.

Ahh, Stanley.

The comparisons to Ireland are quite close really. Except that Stanley was to Liverpool what Ireland is to Villa. They had a huge problem with him, and were about to burn virtually all of the £8.5m that they spent on him.

That's not true at all.  Stan didn't deliver what Liverpool were expecting of him, but he did score 37 goals in 74 appearances for them which is a perfect 1 in 2 strike rate. They were always going to get a huge chunk of their money back for him.

Yeah, poor comparison. Both a problem, but one of them did actually deliver the goods on the pitch.

Twice, apparently :)

Neil Ruddock

Stan didn't make any attempt to get on with the lads and, although I used to sit next to him on the coach and try and make conversation with him, I could never claim to know him. Nobody did. He'd turn up for training, do his work, get changed and go home. Not exactly conducive to good team spirit, so I think most of the lads were relieved when he was finally flogged off to Aston Villa."

Roy Evans

"Stan did a lot of things we didn't want him to do but he had the ability to do a lot of things no one else could. But we started getting problems with him in his second year when sometimes he didn't turn up for training. You could see the other players wondering what was going on."

Sounds like the behaviour of someone suffering from depression.

Oh...

• Like 1

Stanley didn't like the next team manager, a cockney bloke called John, because he had no sympathy with Stanley's problems. In fairness to John, this was pre internet, so not in the era where every male under 35 was sensitive, huggy, and generally over-emotional, as they are on Facebook, Twatter and fora such as VT. I am sure that John now understands and regrets, because he is on Twatter himself.

Stanley spent a bit of time in the Priory and then went elsewhere, pausing to put the boot, literally, into his celeb girlfriend.

And now he gobs off on TalkShite all of the time, none more so when he was seriously upset about his station not knowing the OGS-Villa connection.

All in all an odious individual who should crawl back under the rock from whence he came.

time-to-change-logo.jpg

Neil Ruddock

Roy Evans

Sounds like the behaviour of someone suffering from depression.

Oh...

Which, as has been long established, was a problem.

But I contest that he was a problem before he came to us, every one in football was aware of that, and no one would touch him with a bargepole. Except Herbert, of course.

I can't imagine that it his past (continued?) depression that makes the bloke the complete clearing in the woods that he is, although it might be convenient to put the blame there.

Stanley didn't like the next team manager, a cockney bloke called John, because he had no sympathy with Stanley's problems. In fairness to John, this was pre internet, so not in the era where every male under 35 was sensitive, huggy, and generally over-emotional, as they are on Facebook, Twatter and fora such as VT. I am sure that John now understands and regrets, because he is on Twatter himself.

Stanley spent a bit of time in the Priory and then went elsewhere, pausing to put the boot, literally, into his celeb girlfriend.

And now he gobs off on TalkShite all of the time, none more so when he was seriously upset about his station not knowing the OGS-Villa connection.

All in all an odious individual who should crawl back under the rock from whence he came.

time-to-change-logo.jpg

So basically you are saying that everything that Collymore is and has been is entirely down to 'mental illness', and that anyone who doesn't like him is discriminating against the mentally ill?

Now that is neat packaging.

So basically you are saying that everything that Collymore is and has been is entirely down to 'mental illness', and that anyone who doesn't like him is discriminating against the mentally ill?

No, I'm not saying that.  I wouldn't be in a position to no whether that was the case, and I presume you're in the same boat.

It's more the part in bold that troubled me.  It implies that people need to "man up" (for want of a better phrase) instead of being "over emotional".  One in four people suffer from mental health issues.  Not enough of them feel brave enough to speak out about it because of sentiments like the one expressed above.

I have a friend suffering from depression (or at least that's what it has been diagnosed as) and his behaviour in the last few months has made Stan look like a saint.  I guess it's his coping mechanism, and how he reacts when attempting to break free from himself.

As for gobbing off on Talksport - that's what the presenters are paid to do.  Portray controversial opinions in order to get irate listeners to phone the £1 a minute line to counter argue.  It's his job.

• Like 1

The 'over emotional' was a comment on the younger males in society today, not the mentally ill or depressed.

As for Collymore, I have this aversion to people who beat women, who could also be described as vulnerable.

This thread has wound me up to be honest. I suffer from bipolor and before my diagnosis and medication my life was a roller coaster,  there are many things in my past that I'm not proud of and now put down to my illness.  Stan was a word removed, he has admitted that and has sought help. Not only that but he has been very open about his illness which can only be a good thing in terms of making people aware. As NV said, 1 in 4 people suffer from mental illness yet people are still so uneducated about it that we have comments like 'he earns 40k a week, how can he be depressed'. 

I say well done stan for turning your life around and speaking out about your experience. 

Av1 I'm not sure anyone has really said that on high money Collymore shouldn't have been depressed, the comments are more pointing out what John Gregory said at the time

Not In this thread mate but that has been said in the past.

Btw NV I hope your friend gets the support he needs.  In my experience friends that understand is more important than any meds or counselling.  I'm sure he's happy to have a pal like you.

Btw NV I hope your friend gets the support he needs.  In my experience friends that understand is more important than any meds or counselling.  I'm sure he's happy to have a pal like you.

Cheers mate.  I've been through it myself a few years ago and came out the other side (or as far as you can anyway) so I'm trying to show him the way.

No, I'm not saying that.  I wouldn't be in a position to no whether that was the case, and I presume you're in the same boat.

It's more the part in bold that troubled me.  It implies that people need to "man up" (for want of a better phrase) instead of being "over emotional".  One in four people suffer from mental health issues.  Not enough of them feel brave enough to speak out about it because of sentiments like the one expressed above.

I have a friend suffering from depression (or at least that's what it has been diagnosed as) and his behaviour in the last few months has made Stan look like a saint.  I guess it's his coping mechanism, and how he reacts when attempting to break free from himself.

As for gobbing off on Talksport - that's what the presenters are paid to do.  Portray controversial opinions in order to get irate listeners to phone the £1 a minute line to counter argue.  It's his job.

I know quite a few people who suffer from depression, and not one of them have done anything like Stan or your friend. Depression should not be held as an excuse for wrong doing.

I don't believe it ever is.  Similarly I don't believe there is a one size fits all set of symptoms.

You'll also note that I put in the caveat "or at least that's what it's been diagnosed as".  Personally I suspect it to be more like bi-polar disorder, but I'm not a doctor so I'm not in a position to diagnose him.

• 2 months later...

Anyone follow him on twitter? He is retweeting a disgusting amount of mainly racist abuse aimed at him. Piers Morgan seems to have weighed in and shining another big light on it.

Are the police going to get involved?

Anyone follow him on twitter? He is retweeting a disgusting amount of mainly racist abuse aimed at him. Piers Morgan seems to have weighed in and shining another big light on it.

Afaik he reported the people who sent him racially abusive messages to the police.

Afaik he reported the people who sent him racially abusive messages to the police.

There are more and more coming, for some reason they all seem to be from Liverpool. Disgusting.

(Can see why they backed Suarez now though!)

Â